Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM

239 posts, read 472,194 times

Advertisements

please let me know thoughts and experience--- if you have toured , have kids there, HAD kids there, or know Omni Middle or a better option.

I'm hearing a lot of talk about how overcrowded it is (1600+), lack of discipline and a weak math / science program.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
Our daughter attends OMNI and its an excellent school. which was why we moved from West Boca that was the only Middle school we wanted her to attend and it does not disappoint..she does not feel its over crowded, the Teachers are Wonderful the Staff is great and so is Guidance...they really know their kids...the 6th, 7th and 8th graders are not in the same wings so to speak so there is not alot of mixing between the grades which we like...Our daughter was having anxiety going to OMNI with the stigma of them being so highly rated and what they expect and yes they do expect a lot but she always gets what she needs, and well ask her she just loves it....She has attended so many schools in her life she is 12 she knows where she is comfortable and where she is not....Iv'e had to talk to the teachers a few times and they responded very quickly to my concerns which turned out to be just that as she is a B student and when they see she is struggling they do help her and for us has been amazing this coming from a child who had some learning issues....Let me add OMNI middle which they mention during orientation is ranked extremely high in the county as well as the state...With that being said living in so many other states where my oldest went to school as well as our daughter elem school I can tell you we are very pleased with the math and science and do not feel its weak, and my daughter has a lot of friends very easy to meet kids, as she has had no problems...The bottom line is once they get into HS its a level playing field as they have to take certain Sciences anyway...as well as Math...and if your concerned you can have your child test they have an excellent gifted program....Discipline I can tell you they dont take a lot of things lightly....

Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 61,180 times
Swimmom-I have read many of your posts and it's obvious you strongly about both Omni and Spanish River. Do you feel they are well above the other schools in Boca? What have you heard about Boynton or Wellington middle and high schools? Anything?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM

239 posts, read 472,194 times
Looking at greatschools.org test scores in Math for LOGGERS Run are very high, but then Reading scores at Loggers so much lower. 90% vs 64% I think. Not that those scores mean everything though.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM

That would be concerning to me, especially since I am a reading teacher. Are those scores based on the state standardized assessments?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM

rg I dont have personal experiences with the other schools, other than Waters Edge Elem and West Boca HS, however after living in so many states I made sure I did my due diligence as best as I could...We started out in West Boca for alot of reasons, and Im glad we did because then I wouldn't have had the experience that we had with our children and Know that that was what was not best for them...Our Daughter had learning issues since 3rd grade as she was held back in 3rd when we lived in NC...so she started 4th here in Boca at Waters Edge and personally it just wasn't the right fit for her....After speaking to other parents of other schools I really wanted to send her to Del Prado Elem however we wound up in the Calusa School in Central Boca...Did we love the School no but they certainly did give her what she needed and 4th grade was a great year for her....5th grade was a bit tougher but with all the extra help she was getting she was ready for Middle School...I do have friends personally who's children attend some of the other schools in Boca are not happy with them...When I visited the other schools in West Boca I wasn't that impressed and after living in the area at this point for some time we knew we needed to move...Our son started out at West Boca also not a great experience academically...After doing my research and going to the school's and talking to parents and teachers we knew that this school would be great for our son as he needed to be Challenged..Now our son was a very average Student and mostly C's accept for West Boca he was pulling all A's which we could not understand, well after putting him in River it was a huge adjustment for him and well the last 6 months freshman year were rough but the support we had from the school was incredible....Cant say the same for West Boca HS they were not very accommodating in general nor were they very nice, the only class my son had issues with was Math its his most difficult subject.....So now he is a Junior he is in the Entrepreneurship Academy since that was what he wanted to major in..lol Now he has focused energy on Physical Therapy/Sports Medicine as he is a Swimmer.....Anyway River is a much harder school in our Opinion and challenged our son...He is now a Junior as I said and is pulling all A's....He is very happy at the school and we just love the Teachers....Omni...What can I say....The teachers are wonderful, and our daughter no longer needs some of the things that she needed before, as she receives whatever help is needed....She is thriving and is a B student...People just dont understand until they know someone personally and for us this was the 2 best Decisions we made...Now Boca High School is also Excellent, all the kids my son competitively swims with attend Boca HS and I always talk to the parents they are very happy there as well....I hope this helps...Again we like the kids at both schools and both our children are thriving...I can also say that our daughters friends parents who moved here a few years ago as well and are new to OMNI are extremely pleased with the school as well...

We were thinking about Wellington when we had decided to move out of West Boca, however my dh works in Miami and I had called the School and well they didn't offer tours and didnt really give me the time or the day...I have a few friends that are teachers and had recommended we stay in Boca, so I can't Say academically I just know what I'm told and what we needed and wanted in schools for the kids and at the end of the day again this was the best fit for them....

Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Swim...what part of Boca are you in-is it Central? Is that where Omni and River are, too? Also, how is the re-zone working out there. I'd have to find that out when we find a place. I wouldn't want to stuck!

Sounds like things really worked out well for your kids.

I'll be coming down in April with my daughter. Hopefully, I'll be able to hook up with a realtor who knows their craft and way around well. We would like to visit some schools then. She'll be going into HS next fall; son into MS. This is my priority (well getting jobs first ).

Old 12-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Yes Jobs are the key..lol That is a great idea...Try and do as much research on the schools as you can you can go to the Accountability Reports as well and do a comparison which I used myself....We are believe it or not considered Central Boca because we are East of the Turnpike...Now if for whatever reason in a few years they rezoned us to Boca High we would be just fine with that too, although our Daughter wont have it..lol all her friends will be attending River..It seems they are NOW Rezoning the OMNI school zone as it is getting smaller so to speak....and the Reason again for that is, Most people want their kids there so 33496 you will be fine for both River and Omni....33434 you would be fine up to a certain point from what I was told from the County when I called..We got very lucky and as of now aren't in the Zone for them to move us so for now we should be safe..It gets tricky so the best advice I can give you is, Get a good realtor, Call the Palm Beach County School District when you find some properties you like, because the realtor won't be able to tell you and if he or she does well I would still make sure with the country as they know best...Also dont go past Powerline and Palmetto or East of it either since that is where they are Rezoning to Boca Middle...I know once you get to Military Trail and Palmetto they are sending those kids to Boca Middle Now River however has a pretty big Boundary Line so over here you will be just fine...but you can look at 33433 again up until Powerline Rd and Palmetto, 33434 and 33496 for OMNI to be safe....

Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,296,618 times
But if one was already in Omni (let's say 5th grade) they wouldn't move her/ him out due to rezoning would they???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Yes Jobs are the key..lol That is a great idea...Try and do as much research on the schools as you can you can go to the Accountability Reports as well and do a comparison which I used myself....We are believe it or not considered Central Boca because we are East of the Turnpike...Now if for whatever reason in a few years they rezoned us to Boca High we would be just fine with that too, although our Daughter wont have it..lol all her friends will be attending River..It seems they are NOW Rezoning the OMNI school zone as it is getting smaller so to speak....and the Reason again for that is, Most people want their kids there so 33496 you will be fine for both River and Omni....33434 you would be fine up to a certain point from what I was told from the County when I called..We got very lucky and as of now aren't in the Zone for them to move us so for now we should be safe..It gets tricky so the best advice I can give you is, Get a good realtor, Call the Palm Beach County School District when you find some properties you like, because the realtor won't be able to tell you and if he or she does well I would still make sure with the country as they know best...Also dont go past Powerline and Palmetto or East of it either since that is where they are Rezoning to Boca Middle...I know once you get to Military Trail and Palmetto they are sending those kids to Boca Middle Now River however has a pretty big Boundary Line so over here you will be just fine...but you can look at 33433 again up until Powerline Rd and Palmetto, 33434 and 33496 for OMNI to be safe....

Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Well Omni starts in 6th...and from what I understand they aren't moving them mid year right now although that could change unless the kid is in Gifted they might allow them to finish our the year....that is my understanding....its been a very long time since they have done this and I know that Boca High School now has closed their Stem program right now because they have 3000 kids...Spanish River has 2500 last I saw from something the school sent home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach