Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbydog View Post
TriMT7 - good advice I think I am a bit of a control freak. (ha!) Yes, we'll look at everything we can when we go. Looking forward to it. Hubby's new business partner lives in downtown WPB with his wife and small child (not even 2) so we'll check it out. I didn't really want to live in a high rise. More interested in a single family or duplex...but we're renting first so I guess I can be flexible.

thanks again ~ can't wait to get there...I'm tired of looking at maps

There are definitely plenty of SFH home options, so you'll be OK! Pretty much everything east of Dixie south of downtown (Okeechobee Blvd.) is nice (couple spots where the streets are shared with quadplexes), as are the historic areas east of Parker, south of Okeechobee and north of Belvedere. Gets you "in town" and walkable to downtown and Cityplace, but with a neighborhood feel.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbydog View Post
Thanks so much!
I did hear about the schools and we are considering looking into private. We have a few years yet so I'll just be looking for preschools at this point.

Hubby wants to live in West Palm Beach but I'm not sure about that...not with a small child. I haven't been there yet but he's been twice now ~ he says it's like Santa Monica or Newport Beach on steroids (not sure if you're familiar with LA area or not).

Again, thank you all so much! This site rocks
I know Newport Beach very well. My best friend lived in Newport Coast. West Palm is NOT Newport on Steroids. The big difference is that the neighoborhoods change so quickly. One minute you're in a really nice neighborhood and then one second later, you cross the street into a not so good area. That doesn't happen in Newport Beach, Irvine, Corona Del Mar, etc. That's why I thought you would like Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens. If you want to be in a neighborhood with old charming homes, then you will have to focus on West Palm Beach.

My sister's children attended Catholic school because the public schools weren't challenging enough.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Do you mean your husband wants to move to West Palm Beach - the city proper - or the greater West Palm Beach "area" (including the suburban cities)?

If you're doing private, there is absolutely no reason why having a small child should preclude you from looking at living in West Palm Beach proper.

Especially the intracoastal neighborhoods, such as the "South of Southern" area, or the historic neighborhoods. You should humor him and at least allow a knowledgeable realtor drive you around (one that specializes in the area, as many don't know jack about it).

You won't get as much house for the money (it's still quite expensive, price per square foot, compared to communities out west) but the neighborhoods in West Palm Beach are older and organically developed. REAL neighborhood and "small city" feel.[quote]
Agree 100%. This is what I like about West Palm. I like the El Cid neighborhood near Flagler. I will be spending a lot of time looking for something there.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

[quote=MiamiLIFE;22496368]
Quote:

Agree 100%. This is what I like about West Palm. I like the El Cid neighborhood near Flagler. I will be spending a lot of time looking for something there.

My favorite as well! Though unfortunately, I cannot afford to live there... yet. So I live just west, a couple blocks away, and a few hundred thousand dollars cheaper, lol.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM

[quote=TriMT7;22496972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post

My favorite as well! Though unfortunately, I cannot afford to live there... yet. So I live just west, a couple blocks away, and a few hundred thousand dollars cheaper, lol.
What do you think the price point is for a three bedroom in good condition? You can state a range... that is fine too. It looks like $500k to $700k can buy you nice home in El Cid. Am I wrong?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM

[quote=MiamiLIFE;22497617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

What do you think the price point is for a three bedroom in good condition? You can state a range... that is fine too. It looks like $500k to $700k can buy you nice home in El Cid. Am I wrong?

Yes, in El Cid proper 3 bedrooms in good condition will start at about mid-high 500s and go up from there, in general. A 700k limit will get you about half dozen options in the neighborhood right now. If you're from Jersey though, 500k is probably a good bargain for the money!

Your options are also expanded if you're open to the neighborhoods bordering just south of El Cid -- (Prospect Park/Monceaux, and Southland Park). Very beautiful area.

The way it works when you're east of Dixie Highway in WPB is that the closer to the water, the more expensive. 300 block vs. 100 block for the same home can be a couple hundred grand... or more!

And reference (for anyone else): In Flamingo Park, Grandview Heights and Sunshine Park, it's a whole 'nother ball game, as the usual rule of "proximity to water" does not apply. Typically, the 700 block is the most valued, because it's on the "hill," but as long as youre not on the 500 block (bordering the tracks) you're ok. And sometimes, the 800 block will be one of the nicest in the neighborhood... such as the 800 Claremore block. The 400 block is typically the buffer block between the tracks and Dixie Highway. Home prices are very cheap on that block. Typically rental situations.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 72,440 times
OH so overwhelming to read about this. You guys/gals are great to provide this info We might be moving sooner. We're renting a house here and I just checked the mail... there is a foreclosure postcard from a realtor to our landlord about this house! I.e., we better get out now before they boot us out. That's life in California. Ridiculous how many foreclosed homes there are.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

[quote=TriMT7;22498653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post

Yes, in El Cid proper 3 bedrooms in good condition will start at about mid-high 500s and go up from there, in general. A 700k limit will get you about half dozen options in the neighborhood right now. If you're from Jersey though, 500k is probably a good bargain for the money!

Your options are also expanded if you're open to the neighborhoods bordering just south of El Cid -- (Prospect Park/Monceaux, and Southland Park). Very beautiful area.

The way it works when you're east of Dixie Highway in WPB is that the closer to the water, the more expensive. 300 block vs. 100 block for the same home can be a couple hundred grand... or more!

And reference (for anyone else): In Flamingo Park, Grandview Heights and Sunshine Park, it's a whole 'nother ball game, as the usual rule of "proximity to water" does not apply. Typically, the 700 block is the most valued, because it's on the "hill," but as long as youre not on the 500 block (bordering the tracks) you're ok. And sometimes, the 800 block will be one of the nicest in the neighborhood... such as the 800 Claremore block. The 400 block is typically the buffer block between the tracks and Dixie Highway. Home prices are very cheap on that block. Typically rental situations.

This is great information. Thank you so much! I am looking for a charming/established neighorbood where I can go for a walk in the evening after work. Are any of the neighborhoods walking distance to restaurants and nightlife?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE;

This is great information. Thank you so much! I am looking for a charming/established neighorbood where I can go for a walk in the evening after work. Are any of the neighborhoods walking distance to restaurants and nightlife?

Yeah, but I suppose it depends on what you consider "walkable." You're looking at about a mile to Cityplace from El Cid or Flamingo Park areas, and about a mile and a half to the Clematis Street District.

Of course, there are restaurants along the way. There are also restaurants and shops lining Dixie Highway on the western border of El Cid (mostly antique shops). El Cid is also walkable to a plaza with a sushi joint, ice cream, and a couple of other restaurants (Corner of Belvedere Road and Olive Avenue). Joy Noodles, Great Wraps, a pizza place is also on the Dixie Highway border of El Cid. The beach is 2 miles.

Tons of people (including many students from Palm Beach Atlantic College, just north of El Cid) utilize the Flagler sidewalk in the evenings to jog, walk dogs, biking along the water, etc.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
Default West Palm Beach

I don't have much to contribute but: Palm Beach Gardens is a really nice area with good schools, though it is a bit of a drive from West Palm especially with I95 traffic. If you are looking for a nice bike trail there is a great one on Palm Beach. Cheap bike rentals on Sunrise ave and a gorgeous trail with the intercoastal on one side and million dollar mansions on the other. It ends at a dock that is ideal for picnics and/or fishing and swimming (although swimming is technically not allowed).
I'm moving back to the area this summer, it is just too beautiful and the weather is too good to go anywhere else. I regret ever having left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach