Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 63,701 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am moving from NYC to Boca Raton at the end of the month and will be in town looking for places to live. This will be my first recon and visit.

Looking for advice on neighborhoods that are safe and offer great dining and shopping areas that I can possibly walk to. I will be purchasing a car but would rather not use it all the time. Is there a "downtown" area in Boca that would offer such a lifestyle for a single female?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,279,808 times
The only area would be Mizner Park although it doesn't appear to be that young to hang out..We go there often for dinner and its one of our favorite places but we are not single and in our 40's..lol

but it is walkable to stores and restaurants...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM

99 posts, read 302,711 times
It is safe to say that South Florida has become a place that you generally have to use a car to get around... there has been some, and I mean little attempt to build places that are true walking oriented destinations... that is, you live near the places you go to for food, and a social life. The use of a car is almost always tied to any destination here. However, and only lately have properties sprung up where the need for a car is needed and they are few. The most notable of these in Palm Beach is City Place in West Palm Beach, which is about 20-30 minutes north of Boca. Another place to consider is Downtown Delray Beach, look it up on Zillow.com and see what the rental/purchase prices are in that area. The city of Delray has done a great job of developing its downtown and it has a great vibe.
An idea for you is to see what is going on around Florida Atlantic University which is in Boca off Glades Road... the students their may have more senior students living in housing off campus, where are they and what may they be like. As for a night life in that area, I suspect its quiet, and centered around malls or destination centers with a few restaurants... but not a vibrant night life as one would hope for as a young lady such as yourself!
I am guessing that the best bet for you will be a pocket neighborhood... most small vibrant neighborhoods are densely packed and then sprawl out from the suburbs...

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,136 times
Boca area is not for a young single in terms of night life or meeting people. Yes the college is there but overall it is snow bird community and then there are families. You will notice the difference right away at how many older people there are especially in the winter. Also in Boca even living in Mizner you need a car for most things. Mizner is more high end shops etc not your every day things.
Are you moving for work? If so I would still pick Boca to live because traffic can be bad and also Boca is safe compared to other areas. Then if you want a night out going to West Palm or Ft Lauderdale.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
If you live in the Mizner Park area, you can walk to everything, including the beach. There are plenty of places to meet friends for dinner and drinks.

Sanborn Square now has yoga classes on Saturday. There's a weekend green market that has lots more than fruits and veggies, juried art shows and other events year round. A movie theater is set to open in a couple of months.

The live music at Mizner Park Amphitheater is great- some free, some not, but even with the ticketed events, the music can be heard from the outdoor seating areas at the bars. I was surprised at the variety of music - we've heard hip hop, country, rock, jazz, classical....

Yes, there are old people. And people that push dogs in doggie baby carriages...and I have seen folks feed their dog from their plate, the dog sitting at the table... But you can also see people like Adele having drinks at the bar. It's sometimes a surreal place, but in a good way, IMO.

No, it's not a hotbed of young single activity. But that can be found a short car trip away. If you are into walking or biking, you could do it any time without safety concerns.

If Boca is your destination, I don't think there is a better place than Mizner for walkability.

Downtown Boca | It's Happening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach