U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 14,924 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring this year, planning to move to FL. Looking to buy in a neighborhood that is no further than an hour from Miami (for occasional dinners and walks in-town). Two/bdrm 2/bth mid/high-rise condo in an oceanfront building w/beach access (in a nice, English-speaking, QUIET community). Our budget would be around 500-550K. We've been to the area several times. Planning another visit soon, trying to have a better idea where we would want to live. I've been looking at various real estates websites, reading posts, still would greatly appreciate any advice on following -
1. Which Area(s)/Community names , within an hour from Miami, in addition to Boca, Palm Beach and Delray would be a good choice to purchase a nice oceanfront condo (NOT looking to buy in Hollywood, Hallandale or SunnyIsland). It is very important for us to pick a great condo with a solid and trustworthy HOA board and good property management company.

2. How to find a reputable/KNOWLEDGABLE and patient Real Estate Agent that will visit w/us various condominium communities, so we know what's available and get a sense of prevailing prices; one that would look for our interest & share information (bldgs. that have problems w/occupancy, hence maintenance fee, and such).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,925,616 times
It sounds like the Boca, Highland, Delray strip would be a good fit for you. The further North you go from there the quieter it will get, but you will also be pushing further from Miami. Although unless you have a strong attachment to Miami most people don't find a need to go down there too often as you can find plenty of amenities/restaurants/shopping in this area.

Other things you may want to consider to help make your search a little easier.

Are you looking to be "on the sand"? One thing some people regret about being directly on the beach is you often lose intra-coastal/city views which will be where you can watch boats go by and see city lights at night. The ocean is pretty black at night... Sometimes finding a building set back a little can give you both views and still have easy ocean access.

Do you have any pets? Lots of buildings aren't pet friendly.

Are you comfortable doing a little remodeling? In this price range most of the buildings will be over 15 years old, some are remodeled, others aren't.

You probably have, but figure out a range you are comfortable with in month condo dues. Plan on at least $650, but some buildings can have dues in the 12-1400 a month range.

Depending on how you answer some of these questions your search will be limited to around 5-7 buildings and shouldn't be to hard to find that right place from there.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Default Oceanfront condo

Thank you, Skylinet -

I did put a lot of thinking into the areas you are pointing out, they are fine, it's just to be able to find the right building/community and not to find ourselves in a certain "ghetto", if I may. We are quite OPEN to suggestions...

We were kind of leaning towards North PB, Juno, Jupiter and Tequesta, even it's further than we ideally want to be. My husband gets Lucentis injection in his eye once a month and the retina doctors that we were recommended are either in Miami or Boca.

About the building location, "on the sand" would be right. We have no pets.

Since we still have time, after we "narrow down" the area, I would hope to find an apartment that is somewhat remodeled already, newer kitchen is a must. That is because I have heard horror stories about contractors and renovations that lasted close to a year. I would become ill dealing with these.

Re: condo fees. Have an impression that if the respective management is doing a fine job and the building has a good reputation without too many foreclosure actions, with the majority of tenants "in place"... those fees are a bit less than $1,000 for a condo in our price range. Hence, it's very important to find the right, well maintained community/building.

If you would possibly share the knowledge on WHERE, WHAT COMMUNITIES... so when visiting next time, we could go there, walk around the community, see who lives there, etc.

Also, if, by chance, you know a knowledgeable RE agent(s) in NPB, Boca, Jupiter... Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,925,616 times
Yes I know a knowledgeable agent in the Jupiter, NPB area...
I don't think you'll find much "ghetto" on the ocean. You might find older but it tends to be pretty nice on the water.
Most of the buildings are established as well. Some of the newer ones have had problems, but most of that is clearing up now.
Singer Island is very popular for high rise condo's with great views.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Thank you again .

Greatly appreciate if you could give me a few community/building "names" in North PB and Jupiter, so I could start looking. Would be nice if you could share the name of the RE agent. PLEASE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach