U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
 
623 posts, read 1,168,860 times
Reputation: 148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
Yeah, Palo Alto is a crap hole - IMHO. Overpriced COL to live an average life style compared to other parts of the country. Average homes, average restaurants, average people. High gas prices and the 101 also make commuting suck. I rarely hit major traffic delays in WPB. You not only save money in terms of housing in FL, but you can get a nicer, brand new home as well. Yes, there is world class talent, and innovation coming out from some of the companies there, but I know half a dozen people who live in S. Florida and work for companies headquartered in Palo Alto. That's the beauty of tech and sales jobs: tele-commuting.

This is so true. I can't tell you how many people we know who are working for companies in New YOrk city, but living the dream in south florida. So great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,186 times
Reputation: 18
Try out Sweetwater/Fontainebleau area - beautiful, the weather is similar to California, more humid, but just about anywhere in Florida is going to be so. Miami Beach is a great area, too, but more touristy and expensive, since it's so close to the beach. Homestead is a slower area in the state, but a great place just the same. I love it all, and I'm sure you will too
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 5,111,747 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
Yeah, Palo Alto is a crap hole - IMHO. Overpriced COL to live an average life style compared to other parts of the country. Average homes, average restaurants, average people. High gas prices and the 101 also make commuting suck. I rarely hit major traffic delays in WPB. You not only save money in terms of housing in FL, but you can get a nicer, brand new home as well. Yes, there is world class talent, and innovation coming out from some of the companies there, but I know half a dozen people who live in S. Florida and work for companies headquartered in Palo Alto. That's the beauty of tech and sales jobs: tele-commuting.
In your view, but to many this area is a crap hole and all of Florida often get's labeled with pretty much everything you stated. I also don't know of any companies based on South Florida who have their HQ in Palo Alto. Maybe a remote sales office, a person working out their home or such but not a brick and mortar division that employs a good number of employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,480 times
Reputation: 11
I moved from California myself to Florida and must tell you that I regret it. So many rednecks and many too many uneducated people. It doesn't matter what coast you are on you will encounter this; note that I work in higher education and the lack of common sense and general knowledge about things is beyond comprehension. I have been coming to Florida since I was a kid and thought it would be great to move here but boy was I wrong. Forget fresh fruit and veggies..nothing like the bounty of California, shopping is pretty bad as they cater to the old folks and snow birds, drivers are THE WORST, things seem cheaper but really when you compare the price difference is not that significant. Oh, and EVERYONE seems to be a smoker!!!

Florida does have great beaches but that is not enough to keep me here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: California
342 posts, read 715,791 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalifornia View Post
I moved from California myself to Florida and must tell you that I regret it. So many rednecks and many too many uneducated people. It doesn't matter what coast you are on you will encounter this; note that I work in higher education and the lack of common sense and general knowledge about things is beyond comprehension. I have been coming to Florida since I was a kid and thought it would be great to move here but boy was I wrong. Forget fresh fruit and veggies..nothing like the bounty of California, shopping is pretty bad as they cater to the old folks and snow birds, drivers are THE WORST, things seem cheaper but really when you compare the price difference is not that significant. Oh, and EVERYONE seems to be a smoker!!!

Florida does have great beaches but that is not enough to keep me here.
Where in Florida did you move to? Where did you run into all these "uneducated people", work or leisure?

Living here in Southern California I can tell you the "uneducated people" live here too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 03:12 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 1,655,976 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalifornia View Post
I moved from California myself to Florida and must tell you that I regret it. So many rednecks and many too many uneducated people. It doesn't matter what coast you are on you will encounter this; note that I work in higher education and the lack of common sense and general knowledge about things is beyond comprehension. I have been coming to Florida since I was a kid and thought it would be great to move here but boy was I wrong. Forget fresh fruit and veggies..nothing like the bounty of California, shopping is pretty bad as they cater to the old folks and snow birds, drivers are THE WORST, things seem cheaper but really when you compare the price difference is not that significant. Oh, and EVERYONE seems to be a smoker!!!

Florida does have great beaches but that is not enough to keep me here.
Baloney. Didn't Jay Leno walk around with a camera and a mic and ask basic questions of people who failed them miserably? Wasn't this in Cali?

Anyways, what you are describing is a problem plaguing the whole nation, not one particular place. As for fresh fruits and veggies, there are CSAs in the West Palm area, there is also Wholefoods if you got the dough. I had a garden that I grew tomatoes, peppers, ocra, beans, peas, carrots etc. all by myself, FL has an extended growing season. You can also grow any tropical fruit imaginable. If you are so "smart" as you portray yourself to be, go for it, grow your own fresh food.

I would say you did not do your research before moving and now you are blaming the place. Plenty of people do that and it shows exactly what you are berating - lack of education
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 PM
 
3,062 posts, read 7,029,506 times
Reputation: 2120
Anyone who has visited TO or lived there says what a wonderful city it is. I have lived in TO and in Boca Raton. In TO the schools are excellent, safer, much better weather, nicer people, upscale living. There is no city in FL that can compare to it. The only thing FL has would be cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 AM
 
229 posts, read 456,989 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Anyone who has visited TO or lived there says what a wonderful city it is. I have lived in TO and in Boca Raton. In TO the schools are excellent, safer, much better weather, nicer people, upscale living. There is no city in FL that can compare to it. The only thing FL has would be cheaper.
The schools in Boca Raton are rated better than Thousand Oaks. Try not to embarrass yourself again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 AM
 
3,062 posts, read 7,029,506 times
Reputation: 2120
First your response is very rude. How do you figure that when TO has many schools that are 10? Really very few people would rather live and send their kids to Boca Schools compared to Thousand Oaks. Thousand Oaks is considered one of the safest cities and most desirable for families.
Having lived in Boca and have family there even the best wealthiest neighborhood in Boca is not as safe as TO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,676 times
Reputation: 14
California has a history of bieng a significant wealth creator, and civic leader. Florida has a history as a place no one dared to live in until air conditioning was invented. And it's history afterward is mixed.

Long term it seems Florida is overall screwed as either a cat 5 takes out chuncks of it (Miami) or the sea comes to get it. California will certainly shake SF down again but its likely most of the state will recover. They prepared for it to an extent.

It's not clear what will happen to Florida once Miami is gone. I suppose Orlando will become the main city.


I'd lay money on CA becoming a better place eventually and I'd lay money on Florida having Katrina like scenes. Could be 5 years or a hundred but Florida's fate is certain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top