U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
 
229 posts, read 457,510 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have no idea what city in South FL can compare to Bloomfield Hills. Boca Raton for example the average income is 68,000 and BH 114,000. BH has a crime index of 2 which 10 is the highest and Boca a 5. Bloomfield Hills schools are a 10 and the private schools people come to from out of state to attend.
Also even if a city in FL is safe the near by areas tend not to be. That is very different from BH where neighbor cities have good schools and are safe.

Like I said if a person is retiring and wants the social aspects of retirement and the over 55 communities plus beach weather I can see picking FL.
If you are a family looking for safe family oriented area I don't see it as a good choice.
I don't see how you'd argue against an area in Florida like Parkland for families. If you're going by income, Parkland has an average of $177,072. The areas nearby there are not unsafe and the schools are rated high. Now you're humiliating yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM
 
3,062 posts, read 7,034,877 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
I don't see how you'd argue against an area in Florida like Parkland for families. If you're going by income, Parkland has an average of $177,072. The areas nearby there are not unsafe and the schools are rated high. Now you're humiliating yourself.
The same site I got the average income for Bloomfield Hills income as 114,000 I found Parklands as 99,000. No way it is 177,072 and if the site you found that on said that I would like to see what BHs was because it was considered the 4th wealthiest city in the US. Also next to Parkland is areas in Coral Springs, Pompano etc that have so much crime.
You are also so rude in your responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 AM
 
229 posts, read 457,510 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
The same site I got the average income for Bloomfield Hills income as 114,000 I found Parklands as 99,000. No way it is 177,072 and if the site you found that on said that I would like to see what BHs was because it was considered the 4th wealthiest city in the US. Also next to Parkland is areas in Coral Springs, Pompano etc that have so much crime.
You are also so rude in your responses.
Actually, I just made that number up because I thought it was silly that you think that a city's median income is so important. For an actual number, City-Data says that the median income for Parkland is $108,226.

I do think it's funny that you said that a site said that Boca Raton has a 5 out of 10 in crime when the stats on City-Data show it's below the U.S. average as well. Pompano Beach does not border Parkland, Coral Springs and Coconut Creek do and they are not dangerous. Since when does Coral Springs have "so much crime"? The crime stats are very low for that area. You can check them right on this site.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 AM
 
1,417 posts, read 1,657,202 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have no idea what city in South FL can compare to Bloomfield Hills. Boca Raton for example the average income is 68,000 and BH 114,000. BH has a crime index of 2 which 10 is the highest and Boca a 5. Bloomfield Hills schools are a 10 and the private schools people come to from out of state to attend.
Also even if a city in FL is safe the near by areas tend not to be. That is very different from BH where neighbor cities have good schools and are safe.

Like I said if a person is retiring and wants the social aspects of retirement and the over 55 communities plus beach weather I can see picking FL.
If you are a family looking for safe family oriented area I don't see it as a good choice.
You obviously have no idea about FL since all you can associate it with is retirement homes. That's a stereotype and a poor one at that. Have you actually driven across the state or was your whole experience in FL in the narrow 10 mile strip of land attached to the ocean? There are a whole lot of towns around the state that are quiet and nice and most of the state is actually rural. If you are looking for an urban experience, there are plenty of large towns and cities that will offer it, many of them with good schools and some of them with bad schools. Like any other place, it has its pros and cons, you can find both in any place in United States. I can immediately think of the multitude of rough and violent gang areas in CA - there is no way FL comes even close in that. As for the nice areas - good luck - the taxes are enormous, you will NEVER own more than a post stamp sized lot with an extremely overpriced house. My wife's uncle lives in San Jose, him and his wife and both engineers in their 50s, they rented their whole lives so they can save to buy a house so they finally started looking - $700K for a flee infested dump that needs a new roof and there are six people bidding it up?
Sorry but NO . For that kind of money I could be king of FL in any area of the state. Heck, I could buy a horse ranch in Ocala, I could buy a beautiful home in Tally on a large acreage, I could buy a pretty nice home in or around West Palm etc. etc. and enjoy myself at the beach every day. If I wanted to, I could have access to the beach within 20 minutes of where I live, I could also have ride my horse 20 minutes from where I am, I could go kayaking 20 minutes from where I am, limitless opportunities, probably with $250K, not $700K and the house would not even be a fixer upper. No income taxes, no overreaching regulation, no congested freeways to spend 2 hours in a car each way to work.... So on and so on. Unless you are a millionaire (and not just a single million millionaire but a multi-millionaire) you cannot really eke out a living in CA. Proof is in the pudding - Californians have "californicated" (where do you think this term comes from?) most of the western United States - they are much hated everywhere they go, places like AZ, NM, CO, MT, WY. ID - they sell a toilet in San Francisco for a few million and move to some rural place in NM, plonk down a million on acreage and build some pretentious 4,000 sq ft monstrosity and then run for city council. When a few fools like that get together all of a sudden they are voting to raise taxes, build new roads, change things, bring a Starbucks etc. Before you know it, paradise is gone and little California here we come. Please...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 27,000,537 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have no idea what city in South FL can compare to Bloomfield Hills. Boca Raton for example the average income is 68,000 and BH 114,000. BH has a crime index of 2 which 10 is the highest and Boca a 5. Bloomfield Hills schools are a 10 and the private schools people come to from out of state to attend.
Also even if a city in FL is safe the near by areas tend not to be. That is very different from BH where neighbor cities have good schools and are safe.

Like I said if a person is retiring and wants the social aspects of retirement and the over 55 communities plus beach weather I can see picking FL.
If you are a family looking for safe family oriented area I don't see it as a good choice.


I'm sorry but your methodology is severely flawed. Bloomfield Hills is not a "safe family area" because most families cannot and would not be able to live there.


Bloomfield Hills is an upscale, cherry picked community of less than 4000 people. You can't find comparable in South Florida because people actually want to live in Florida (and California) and it is crowded.


At that level of population you could have chosen the town of Palm Beach, Jupiter Island and Tequesta.

Palm Beach has a crime index of 84.2, which is where Bloomfield Hills was in 2009 (Bloomfield has since gone down to 52).

Boca Raton is a CITY of more than 80000 people. It's crime index for 2011 was 199.4, which is below national average. Only it actually HAS things like business and retail and commerce and amenities so people congregate, things get stolen and people have conflict. Because it's not a suburb in the middle of nowhere where 3500 people live, all of whom have above average income.



Jupiter, Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton, Tequesta.... these are all fine, "family oriented" places in Palm Beach County. I have plenty of friends raising well adjusted, very entertained, well educated and involved children in all of these places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,530 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You obviously have no idea about FL since all you can associate it with is retirement homes. That's a stereotype and a poor one at that. Have you actually driven across the state or was your whole experience in FL in the narrow 10 mile strip of land attached to the ocean?
Boy, I hope no one does that. What a backwoods, backwater Florida is once you are about 10 miles off the coast. I couldn't read the rest of your post because you don't know how to write clearly in a forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 27,000,537 times
Reputation: 8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rueowo View Post
Boy, I hope no one does that. What a backwoods, backwater Florida is once you are about 10 miles off the coast. I couldn't read the rest of your post because you don't know how to write clearly in a forum.
Did you seriously just join the forum to post that comment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 1,657,202 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rueowo View Post
Boy, I hope no one does that. What a backwoods, backwater Florida is once you are about 10 miles off the coast. I couldn't read the rest of your post because you don't know how to write clearly in a forum.
I think you mean "I can't write in short sentences with LOL and OMG interspersed to match the level of focus you are willing to bring to the discussion"? I think my writing was pretty clear and I conveyed exactly what I wanted to convey.

You have clearly never been to Florida's small towns and you know nothing of its horse and cattle culture, the laid back island lifestyle etc. If you think about it, except for mountains and snow, Florida has everything to offer. Wanna ranch? You can. Wanna kayak inland on a river? You can. Wanna surf? You can. Wanna go into a forest and not be found? You can.

In my humble opinion (here is an IMHO to wake you up) is the problem: a lot of people move to FL with one single idea - cheap and laid back living on or near the beach. When they realize that they have to have a job, that it is HOT and HUMID six months of the year, that, like any other place on the planet, Florida has its own issues - that's when folks start looking for someone or something to blame.
But to honestly compare California to Florida and come up with some kind of a conclusion that California might be a better place, please - have you lived under a rock for the last 20 years? California is rapidly losing population, the disillusioned middle class folk who can no longer eke out a decent living in CA are buying up places all over the West, destroying them in the process with the stupidity they bring from their home state. Go on any forum about a Western state on CD and ask what the general feeling is about Californians, you don't need me to tell you

Did I use up all your attention span yet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 AM
 
3,062 posts, read 7,034,877 times
Reputation: 2120
This is the only forum that seems to respond in such a rude way. People can disagree but why respond with the digs like you are humiliating yourself or asking someone if their attention span was used up? It really makes no sense and does not get your point across.
Yes I have been to many different parts of FL. My point on retiring to FL is that I see how a person in retirement could enjoy FL because there are others in the same situation and it helps to meet people. There are also social things aimed for them. Though I think the weather is too humid for most of the year some people enjoy FL weather. When I lived in Boca it was one of the safer areas and a guard gated community but I still did not feel as safe as other states I have lived in.
Yes where I have lived in Boca there were families and the schools were good for FL but I would not move from out of state and say the reason I moved to Boca was cause I wanted better schools for my kids and a safer environment. If someone got a job transfer and was moving that is different.
I am done responding back and forth because everyone has their opinion and I think this thread is going in circles and like I said somewhat rude in the way people respond
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM
 
1,417 posts, read 1,657,202 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
This is the only forum that seems to respond in such a rude way. People can disagree but why respond with the digs like you are humiliating yourself or asking someone if their attention span was used up? It really makes no sense and does not get your point across.
Yes I have been to many different parts of FL. My point on retiring to FL is that I see how a person in retirement could enjoy FL because there are others in the same situation and it helps to meet people. There are also social things aimed for them. Though I think the weather is too humid for most of the year some people enjoy FL weather. When I lived in Boca it was one of the safer areas and a guard gated community but I still did not feel as safe as other states I have lived in.
Yes where I have lived in Boca there were families and the schools were good for FL but I would not move from out of state and say the reason I moved to Boca was cause I wanted better schools for my kids and a safer environment. If someone got a job transfer and was moving that is different.
I am done responding back and forth because everyone has their opinion and I think this thread is going in circles and like I said somewhat rude in the way people respond
That's what you stated - opinions not backed up by any facts.

Saying that FL is a great retirement place and only good for that is like saying that California is only for actors and tech startup people.

I have lived in an unincorporated community west of West Palm Beach for 5+ years, it was as nice and safe as any other place, and i have lived all over North America. Yes, I am educated and have had only professional jobs all my adult life, so is/has my wife. Many of our neighbors were ordinary people - from police officers to homemakers to carpenters to retirees to even manual labor and truck drivers. Normal Americans.

If you are looking for one of those sterile developments where corporate Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents move into with their families to flock with other well to do (Senior) Vice Presidents and management, well FL has plenty of that but maybe not as much as California. On the other hand they don't tax you to death in FL as they do in CA. CA has seen a mass exodus of population from its territory to other Western states, even to the Midwest. Mention the word California in any Western state forum on CD and see the reaction.

Most normal Americans such as engineers or middle class professionals who used to live in the SF bay and that whole tech corridor cannot survive there anymore, only the elites and the rich. Sorry, but that kind of an environment is atypical of the world at large and if that is your measuring point, you win the discussion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top