Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 12,219 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving from Ventura County, CA (Thousand Oaks to be exact) to South Florida. Is anyone familiar with the area here and able to recommend comparable area in South Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM

66 posts, read 187,459 times
Hi we just moved from Tiburon (Marin County) back to Chicago. My son really misses riding his bike outdoors, open neighborhood feel, etc. We are going to build a house in Jupiter, you can get a lot for your $ in FL! Comparing the two, I'm not that familiar w Ventura, but I would compare Jupiter to I think Palo Alto. I think Jupiter may be more quaint. I'm not a huge fan of the peeps in northern Cali, everyone seems to be hyper competitive and all about "me", hopefully Jupiter will have a better vibe. I like the Midwest values and down to earth people, many of the families that live in FL I suppose, are from the NE which is a good thing. I'll miss all the restaurants and Walgreens right outside our door but I think it's worth the trade-off.

Florida is beautiful so I have a good feeling about our move, good luck!

Last edited by windycitychicago; 04-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
There is no place here that will be comparable to Palo Alto or Ventura County. It's a totally different vibe and lifestyle. The scenery and climate is totally different to start. The job market here is not even close to the high tech/world class level of Palo Alto, on a smart level the Bay Area is leaps and bounds above here. Ventura and south to LA is totally different as well.

Most of South Florida is a great place to live if you are wealthy and do not need to rely on someone for a paycheck, that is unless you are in a field here that is in demand or are lucky to have a good job. I always tell people wishing to move here to really do their homework, a lot of people from California move here and hate it and some love it.

Also keep in mind Jupiter has no downtown like Palo Alto. A lot cities here lack this, Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington and etc. Only a few have it, Downtown West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Delray and Fort Lauderdale and so on.

The biggest advantage is cost of living which is low here, but again salaries (if you have to work) will be relative. Home prices are still dropping but keep in mind property taxes are higher as are homeowner insurance policies.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate comment. The nicest parts of Jupiter are along the eastern side near the coast.

If you from the Midwest I suggest the west coast of Florida, Naples to Bradenton, people are generally nicer and friendlier than here since many are from the Midwest opposed to here where it's a Northeast dominated population. There is even a more lack of jobs in Naples though and it's very affluent and seasonal.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-16-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
@THX 1138, wow. We know Florida isn't on the same scale as the Bay Area. But the OP isn't even from there. Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) is in southern California for starters.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 AM

66 posts, read 187,459 times
I think we had a bad experience when living in the Bay area, true the high tech world class market is not going to be the same in FL. It was really hard to get to know people in SF, we'll be moving to a golf community so it's going to be a different lifestyle for us. One of the primary reasons for us moving is the real estate (and politics), we had an 1800 sq ft older home in Marin and when we looked at Jupiter we can get a brand new home twice the size for alot less money. The reason I compared the two places is because of the suburban feel I got while visiting PaloAlto, newer nicer homes and nice outdoor malls. I think there's something to be said when moving to a smaller community (Jupiter, WPB, etc). I agree, definitely do your research and visit as often as you can before making the move across country.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
@THX 1138, wow. We know Florida isn't on the same scale as the Bay Area. But the OP isn't even from there. Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) is in southern California for starters.

Pretty sure THX was referencing Thousand Oaks - the housing development in Riviera Beach.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138
The biggest advantage is cost of living which is low here, but again salaries (if you have to work) will be relative. Home prices are still dropping but keep in mind property taxes are higher as are homeowner insurance policies.
The salaries are not that much relative for many professions. A friend of mine makes 50k/year here, working for a national (global, really) company, and was offered a higher responsibility job in Stanford, CA... 60k. After taxes and COL, it wasn't worth it to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1138
Jupiter west of 95 you will find Jupiter Farms filled with a lot of rednecks and country people, to the east you will find some drug/crime ridden areas and a big day laborer/illegal problem. The nicest parts of Jupiter are along the eastern side near the coast.
The center of Jupiter development has shifted to the Abacoa are/Military trail corridor. That whole area merges with Palm Beach Gardens, which is why I'm never quite sure why people talk about the two areas so distinctly.

Illegal immigrants tend to live in a distinct part of town... and it's no surprise that rednecks live where there's lots of land. That's what they do and like. Not many rednecks in Abacoa, Maplewood, Egret's Landing, Botanica, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The salaries are not that much relative for many professions. A friend of mine makes 50k/year here, working for a national (global, really) company, and was offered a higher responsibility job in Stanford, CA... 60k. After taxes and COL, it wasn't worth it to move.

The center of Jupiter development has shifted to the Abacoa are/Military trail corridor. That whole area merges with Palm Beach Gardens, which is why I'm never quite sure why people talk about the two areas so distinctly.

Illegal immigrants tend to live in a distinct part of town... and it's no surprise that rednecks live where there's lots of land. That's what they do and like. Not many rednecks in Abacoa, Maplewood, Egret's Landing, Botanica, etc.
The climate there is more business friendly due to the pool of talent and a capable workforce and salaries in a lot of professions pay more than here along with there being a horde of opportunities in parts of CA that exceed what you will ever find here, even with the high COL one has to figure in high property tax and home owners insurance rates here and the high retirement population hurts influx of business growth. Much like some northern states, there is a severe case of brain drain going on and it's no joke a lot of companies that are here find it hard to place people in positions here because they cannot find qualified people local.

I personally don't care for Abacoa, never have. I was here when they built it and aside from the baseball stadium it's a concrete jungle.

I'm speaking about Jupiter Farms from experience, I know several people that live out there in the boonies, during the summer months they always complained about the mosquitoes, that their kids can't be outside and play unless they are drenched in DEET, I have even been out there in the summer and it's brutal. Also that they tend to stay indoors all the time because there is nothing for kids to do out there, no nice parks or etc. I know the one guy two boy's play video games all the time and never go outside too often. Whenever I go over there, they are in their rooms all weekend, they only leave to go to school.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,203 times
I would either recommend West Palm Beach or Homestead, FL. Both areas are beautiful and a lot like California. I have lived in all three places and loved them all. Hope you enjoy it too, wherever you end up!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
There is no place here that will be comparable to Palo Alto or Ventura County. It's a totally different vibe and lifestyle.
Yeah, Palo Alto is a crap hole - IMHO. Overpriced COL to live an average life style compared to other parts of the country. Average homes, average restaurants, average people. High gas prices and the 101 also make commuting suck. I rarely hit major traffic delays in WPB. You not only save money in terms of housing in FL, but you can get a nicer, brand new home as well. Yes, there is world class talent, and innovation coming out from some of the companies there, but I know half a dozen people who live in S. Florida and work for companies headquartered in Palo Alto. That's the beauty of tech and sales jobs: tele-commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach