U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,667 times

Advertisements

My 15 yr old son and I are moveing to West Palm Beach Florida from Michigan. I have been in the banking field for 13 yrs. Anyone have any hook ups at the Banks or Credit Unions LOL (Suntrust, Bank of America, Citi and so on) any would do. How much are they paying for a Customer Service Rep. also I was told Wellington and Greenacres was a nice place to live. Is there anyway you could get an apartment before you get a job there if you can show income coming in from the job from Michigan. I have money saved I just would like to be down there before I get a job so I have time to move my things becouse you have to give a 2 week notice to your old job and maybe get 3 weeks for the new job. I know this sounds crazy but what else can I do to get settle before I have been trying to move to Florida for some time know. Nothing here in Michigan but the cold weather and maybe some sun sometimes. (very depressing state) I have been to Florida a lot. I'm 41 yrs old and Need a new beginning. HELP!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,126,636 times
I responded to you in another thread, again I'll repeat myself.

Why West Palm Beach? Have you been here before, do you have connections here, family?

In a nut shell, the job market is not too good here. The COL is higher than Michigan, competition for jobs is steep, I heard as of late from a friend who has a business that 150 people applied for a $10/hr receptionist job. Many were well educated and experienced and basically over qualified.

Odds are you won't find anyone interested in hiring you unless your are local and even if you do move here, it will be difficult to find a job in 3 weeks, the unemployment is just way too high, maybe if it was 2004, you could have landed something that quick.

If you want to live in Wellington, expect to pay $1K+/month for a 1 bedroom apartment on average.

You say your moving already, I hope you do your homework prior....I would not even suggest moving here without a job lined up unless you have a lot of $ to live on and support yourself for at least a year.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,569,464 times
Kay: I understand your pain. My daughter and son-in-law have been trying to move to Florida from Michigan for 5 years and he has 20 years of law enforcement experience w/ a master's degree from Eastern Mich. U. Unemployment here is high and it is virtually impossible to get hired for more than part-time minimum wage work unless you already have job history here in Florida or know someone in management at a company who can get you an interview. I think you would be shocked at the low wage scale here even in comparison with the wages in Michigan which is very depressed now. Michigan is still a strong labor union state but in Florida, labor unions are nearly non-existent. My suggestion is to try to get hired in Michigan at a financial institution that has branches in Florida. After you prove yourself to them in Michigan, they may be willing to help you transfer to a position in Florida. IMO, your chances of being able to rent a place to live here based on your earnings in Michgan is zero. The rental market in the more populated areas of Florida is very tight due to so many being thrown out of their homes due to foreclosure. Lots of people are looking for reasonably priced, low - middle income rental housing and landlords are being very careful to check prospective tenants' work history and earnings out thoroughly. I wish I had better news, but I don't want to see you and your son become another homeless statistic here in Florida.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,667 times
Thank you guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach