Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM

58 posts, read 247,897 times

Advertisements

SwimMom, what are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Jupiter is beautiful and for what your looking for, Jupiter might fit the bill more than Boca Will

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
I think religion is not such a big thing here because most people don't "BELIEVE" in the real, old-fashioned way anymore.
Religious identity is more like a culture club that you were born into many years ago and now exists like the appendix - a vestigial organ that no one thinks much about except when it flares up and causes a lot of trouble.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,020 times
Default considering relocating from nj

Hey everyone! learning alot from the posts! considering moving from nj- have a 9 year old and 11 yr old - would love to be part of a jewish community but other communities as well- we think jupiter was amazing when we saw it - it has all that you are talking about- the wealth may be more of a waspy reputation but the young family communities we have seen are down to earth and middle to upper socio economic from jewish families and non- jewish. there are several synogauges and many churches- are in the process of looking at the public school and are happy with what we have seen so far! I love that jupiter seems to have it all- the beaches, the intercoastal (and the restuarants and shops and marinas that are on it) and the riverwalk downtown they are building- there is no way a lack of activities- there is also a theater area. looking foward to discussing more!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
Default NYBabyMoma

Dear NY Baby Moma,
You will do fine in Boca but since this is such a sensitive subject for a parent raising Christian children, I thought I would try since in my heart, I still kind of wish I knew the answer to the question you're asking 8 years ago when we decided on West Boca. Some of Jewish faith or with kids that are out of school may argue that it doesn't matter and for the most part I agree, but if you're picking up from NY (we're originally from Phila) and moving to Boca, I would suggest looking on the east side of Boca which is anything east of I-95 versus the West if you plan on keeping hubby and in some cases the kids not feeling like outsiders. Again, sensitive subject but my wife and I were romanticized by the "more for your money" (larger home, same good schools, etc) of West Boca (We work out of the house as well) but if given the chance to do it all over again, I would look at East Boca more thoroughly. The main reason I mention this is because at first what your housing dollar buys in East Boca versus West could sway but as anyone from Boca will tell you, once you're settled into your community, going east always seems just a bit to far and for anyone who lives East, it is rare they consider going West. Not as bad as Dr. Seusses "sneaches" but again we're talking about after all the pro's and con's are measured. Best of luck in your search and renting is definitely a great idea! Highly recommend as that's another thing I wish we did.
West
Boca Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBabyMama View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Palm Beach County in the next few years from NYC. We have a 14 month one son and another on the way, so a top notch public school system is very important to us. We are also are only looking at gated golf communities as my husband is an extremely avid golfer. We are torn between the great schools and golf communities in Boca Raton or Jupiter.

One of my best friends lives in South Florida and says Jupiter is too far north and not cosmopolitan enough for us.

But wondering, how "Jewish" are these gated golf communities in Boca? Will non-Jewish families feel like outsiders?

Let me add that I am half-Jewish so I really don't care either way. (Even though I grew up Christian through my mother.) But my husband is a WASP from Fairfield County, CT. (We are raising our kids Christian.) I'm worried that he might not "fit-in" in a heavily Jewish community or possibly feel out if place.

I really hope I don't offend anybody as I know this can be a sensitive question. Obviously my husband isn't anti-Semitic if he married me.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyof2 View Post
Dear NY Baby Moma,
You will do fine in Boca but since this is such a sensitive subject for a parent raising Christian children, I thought I would try since in my heart, I still kind of wish I knew the answer to the question you're asking 8 years ago when we decided on West Boca. Some of Jewish faith or with kids that are out of school may argue that it doesn't matter and for the most part I agree, but if you're picking up from NY (we're originally from Phila) and moving to Boca, I would suggest looking on the east side of Boca which is anything east of I-95 versus the West if you plan on keeping hubby and in some cases the kids not feeling like outsiders. Again, sensitive subject but my wife and I were romanticized by the "more for your money" (larger home, same good schools, etc) of West Boca (We work out of the house as well) but if given the chance to do it all over again, I would look at East Boca more thoroughly. The main reason I mention this is because at first what your housing dollar buys in East Boca versus West could sway but as anyone from Boca will tell you, once you're settled into your community, going east always seems just a bit to far and for anyone who lives East, it is rare they consider going West. Not as bad as Dr. Seusses "sneaches" but again we're talking about after all the pro's and con's are measured. Best of luck in your search and renting is definitely a great idea! Highly recommend as that's another thing I wish we did.
West
Boca Dad
Great advice...we left West Boca and were glad we did, we moved to central boca for a lot of reasons but I do agree with you...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
I know my reply is going to get negative replies, and I'm not trying to be negative but....on the news here recently they reported how there are about 15+ (KKK, skin heads, etc) hate groups there in Boca. And there has been one guy who had flown a fly "KKK" with signs on his house asking for new members. The group (I forgot the name) has stepped in to get these groups to stop targeting these people. And the wife of the guy who flew the flag asked him to take down everything since the media was targeting them.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:15 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Jupiter is beautiful and for what your looking for, Jupiter might fit the bill more than Boca Will

Jupiter is Boca circa 1985.......Subdivisions are new, things are just getting established, town of Jupiter went through a huge growth stage in the last 10 years just like Boca in the 80s.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 16,443 times
Most of the Jewish folks are near by the JCC's (Jewish Community Centers). There is one in Boyonton and a brand new one in Palm Beach Gardens. The one in Palm Beach Gardens is a lot nice than the old one in Boyonton. PBG: Mandel Jewish Community Center of the Palm Beaches - Palm Beach Gardens JCC Home Page Boyonton: Mandel Jewish Community Center of the Palm Beaches - Ross Building, Boynton Beach - Home Page

Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,647 times
HI. I've enjoyed reading the several years of posts that everyone contributed to.

I live in Orlando, which just kills me ....not being near the beach. I lived in the Western Pacific on a tiny U.S. island for nearly 20 years and adore the water and beach. So......went to Jupiter to look at buying a smallish house or condo; would rent it out for a couple of years, possibly using it when it is vacant. I am female, early 60s, very young-at-heart, very active (tennis, swimming, huge international traveler) and won't retire from my part-time college teaching job for up to 7 years. Have a significant other, but we each tend to do our own things and he is not a beach nor water lover.

We have two, getting-on-in-age Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I daydream about walking the beach with my dogs, off-leash. I visited the Jupiter dog-friendly beaches last weekend and was so pleasantly stunned. What a great set-up they have!!!!

And.....I am Jewish by birth and by "culture" , but do not "practice" regularly. Am a New Yorker by birth, but have been away (out West) for so many years that I do not consider myself a typical NY Jew at all. And.....my S.O. is a "Wasp" although completely and totally unreligious. A Jewish Community Center for recreation and to meet people would be nice, but not even sure if I would join a temple. I'm the socializer, my S.O. is a loner. Have driven through several Jupiter condo complexes which are close to the beach: Jupiter One , Jupiter Ocean and Raquet Club, Belle Vista, Jupiter Bay, Villas on the Green. Want to be able to walk to the beach with my dogs WHEN I use the place, although my immediate goal is to rent out the place in the near future.

Comments, anyone? Any suggestions on other condo complexes to explore? How about housing areas? Are there good areas for rental properties? Close to the beach?

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach