U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM

367 posts, read 825,351 times

Advertisements

Where do Palm Beach county people work? Do they just depend off Boca mostly? Or is there lots of jobs in West Palm Beach too? Are some forced to commute to Fort Lauderdale and even Miami for work?

It would suck if I move up north and still have to drive back to Miami for work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,138,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Where do Palm Beach county people work? Do they just depend off Boca mostly? Or is there lots of jobs in West Palm Beach too? Are some forced to commute to Fort Lauderdale and even Miami for work?

It would suck if I move up north and still have to drive back to Miami for work.
Good question, a large majority of the population doesn't work. The ones that have to slave the mines work all over, and yes some are forced to commute to Broward and Dade. I drive 20 miles north to Palm Beach Gardens and use to drive 20 miles south to Delray prior. It all depends what you do, some professions are not very plentiful here and it forces people to commute.

One of my co-workers drives from Miami to PBG 5 days a week. Some people commute south to PBG from as far north as Ft. Pierce.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Good question, a large majority of the population doesn't work. The ones that have to slave the mines work all over, and yes some are forced to commute to Broward and Dade. I drive 20 miles north to Palm Beach Gardens and use to drive 20 miles south to Delray prior. It all depends what you do, some professions are not very plentiful here and it forces people to commute.

One of my co-workers drives from Miami to PBG 5 days a week. Some people commute south to PBG from as far north as Ft. Pierce.
So I would say PBC is the last county to consider living in when speaking of living in South FL.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,138,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
So I would say PBC is the last county to consider living in when speaking of living in South FL.
Depends what your field of work is? A lot of people luck out and can stay here indefinatley without having to commute 24,000 miles a year, have that nice 5 mile commute. If I had to commute to around the Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale Airport for work, that's how many miles I would be driving per year from where I live in Wellington, yep 24,000 miles a year, add in the cost of gas, maintenance and wear and tear on your car. Surely could not use a leased car to pull that off either.

If the pay is good, I guess spending 20 days a year sitting in your car commuting is worth it? Not to mention not having much free time with family and etc. and having to get up extra early in order to make it to work on time. Then figure in you only have two real good ways to get north or south, I-95 and the Turnpike which often can be a parking lot in the event of an accident. When it rains, well that's usually the case on the Turnpike which has limited access in Broward to many locations south of Sample Road.

If you rent, it's always good to move closer to your job, if you bought a house then typically there is little choice if you decided to drive far or had a career change that made your commute long. Some people can't find work where they like living and made the decision to commute regardless.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,112,122 times
I work in West Palm, and live in West Palm. My commute is about 5 minutes. It's great. I don't think I could tolerate anything over a 30 minute commute ever again! I'd have to be making a lot more money to consider it!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM

45 posts, read 77,577 times
OP, one thing you could do is look at what businesses are in Palm Beach County. Are there any? Sure.

I know research is very hard, but give it a try. There might even be a job in it for you once you build those skills, or at least a job where some research skills would be beneficial.

Once you start getting an idea of the businesses that are in Palm Beach County, it would probably be safe to assume that they have employees.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM

There are beautiful homes in Boynton Beach but I don't see any jobs in my field there (IT). So I'm just looking at Fort Laud area as that's where the jobs are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach