U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 207,442 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the WPB/Jupiter area - and we currently have two ponds on our property right now (we are on Long Island) One pond we have is a larger natural pond & stream with very large goldfish/koi/turtles etc....the other is a smaller man-made pond with small waterfall that we have on the front walkway of our house, that also is stocked with koi and catfish. We would LOVE to be able to somehow bring some of the smaller fish with us to Florida when we move by either building a decorative pond in the backyard, or if we happen to find a house that has a larger pond there.

My question is this....Are the large ponds that are on some of the properties (Loxahatchee - Jupiter farms etc) able to be used as a 'fish' pond? Are some usable and some not? I would have the whole backyard fenced (I have dogs) so I would think that would help (I hope!) with some of the predators <we have been lucky to not have any issues here with raccoon's or other animals - except the occasional Egret.> Or am I better off just having a decorative pond put in?

The transporting of the fish is another issue - but that I will have to try and figure that out once we find a house - and make some arrangements to have them shipped. If not - we may just have to start from scratch but thought maybe some of you here on the boards may know anyone who has done this.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice! ~Kathy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,876,323 times
Yes, there are homes with small ponds in the acreage/farms area. I would assume koi would do fine other than the heat and random attacks from predators.
You might want to invest in a chiller system.
I collect saltwater fish myself and there are lots of good stores down here for that.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM

355 posts, read 788,631 times
We had a small man-made koi pond with a waterfall and the large birds kept eating the babies. Then the adults all mysteriously died. It was an expensive project.
It also became a frog hotel, and was noisy as hell during mating season if you can imagine.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 207,442 times
I have been lucky that most of my fish have survived over the years. Lost a few to an egret a few years ago when they were smaller.

I guess I should contact a couple of the Pond installers/contractors in Palm Beach County and see what they think.

Thanks for the replies! Have a great weekend!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 AM

22 posts, read 61,506 times
I am renting a house with a small plastic outdoor pond w/ little fountain and waterlilly that had 5 goldfish in it. 4 were eaten by a predator that ripped up the water lily to get at them (racoon, I think--I see one quite often) and I replaced them with 2 more who have thrived and grown big. The water is warm all year round as it is very shallow and black, so that obviously isn't a problem for these fish. Many houses here (i'm in Jupiter) have large, more natural ponds that would work. There are a lot of predators, esp. racoons, roaming cats, large birds of prey, so you would want to have some protections in place but otherwise I think it would work well.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Koi and gold fish will do fine in any natural pond in the farms or acreage. You do not need a chiller as someone suggested. However you will not be able to enjoy your Koi as you do now. A smaller fish pond and fountain are needed for viewing and relaxing. Do NOT think because you are in South Florida you can stock your pond with any type of exotic aquarium fish. You will find them floating after the first cold spell, I don't care how much you oxeginate the water. (From December to March you have to take them inside) But those Koi and gold fish thrive from the 30's to 100 degrees.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM

55,503 posts, read 49,461,976 times
If you going to have koi, please remember this: Do not release them into any river or lake. Koi is an invasive species, so putting it in the wild would hurt other fish. Just remember that.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM

9,321 posts, read 17,169,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
We are looking to move to the WPB/Jupiter area - and we currently have two ponds on our property right now (we are on Long Island) One pond we have is a larger natural pond & stream with very large goldfish/koi/turtles etc....the other is a smaller man-made pond with small waterfall that we have on the front walkway of our house, that also is stocked with koi and catfish. We would LOVE to be able to somehow bring some of the smaller fish with us to Florida when we move by either building a decorative pond in the backyard, or if we happen to find a house that has a larger pond there.

My question is this....Are the large ponds that are on some of the properties (Loxahatchee - Jupiter farms etc) able to be used as a 'fish' pond? Are some usable and some not? I would have the whole backyard fenced (I have dogs) so I would think that would help (I hope!) with some of the predators <we have been lucky to not have any issues here with raccoon's or other animals - except the occasional Egret.> Or am I better off just having a decorative pond put in?

The transporting of the fish is another issue - but that I will have to try and figure that out once we find a house - and make some arrangements to have them shipped. If not - we may just have to start from scratch but thought maybe some of you here on the boards may know anyone who has done this.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice! ~Kathy
One thing to note when transporting fish for long distances is to do frequent water changes in whatever container you bring them in. We lost so many fish when coming to AZ when we hit Blythe and it was 110 that afternoon. I forgot to change the water when we stopped and lost my Koi. Broke my heart but lesson learned. The amonia builds up from their waste fairly fast. Good luck in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach