U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,742 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

It's just the two of us, and we decided to move to more warmer places. We have friends in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood areas, and they said that Boca Raton might be something that we'd like.

So far, I looked at the east Boca Raton area, between Glades Rd and W Palmetto Park Rd. I'd need some help to narrowing down this area even more.

Here are more details:

- My daughter will attend Boca Raton Community Middle school;
- I work from home, so commute is not a concern;
- we like outdoors activities, especially biking and roller skating; will probably take on surfing as well;
- for the first year, until we find our bearing, we'd like to rent a 1-bedroom. The budget I thought it might be appropriate is about $1,000/month.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with Boca Raton Community Middle school.

Also, if you could recommend a couple reliable realtors, that would be great as well.

I'll be in the area by the end of May 2012, right after Memorial Day, ready to scout the neighborhood. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, and cannot send me a direct message because of the daily messaging limit, you can contact me directly per email at [dan] at [101content] dot [ com].
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 AM
 
66 posts, read 167,617 times
Reputation: 39
We have a 10 year old son and are planning to move to Jupiter, its a very family friendly area. Ive never been to Boca but ive heard it is nice but a bit older. We lived in Tiburon, ca for two years and was not a big fan. We are excited about our move (from Chicago) our son loves the outdoors and riding his bike to friends homes, swimming everyday, etc. We work from home too so playing golf and bbq/cooking outdoors is very appealing good luck w your move but i think Jupiter is worth a look while you are down there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay Area Florida
7,937 posts, read 18,553,292 times
Reputation: 2006
I will tell you that middle school is nothing but Drama..lol Sorry but I have a 13 yr old going thru it now although she chooses to stay out of it as she has no patience for it...with that being said she has a few friends that go to Boca Middle and they have some issues with Fighting girls and boys, and the administration.....I hear the Gifted Program is good because they really don't mingle with the Students who are Non-Gifted/in the Choice Programs.....My daughter's friend was thrown down stairs because she was being bullied it has been a whole mess, and next year if she cant move to OMNI she is homeschooling...with that being said only you know what is good for your child I advise you to go up to school and talk to administration although when I had gone they werent very nice maybe because I have a NY accent they do not seem like very many people....I wasn't impressed with the school but that is just my opinion.....Good Luck with your move....My daughter attends Omni Middle..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,742 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychicago View Post
We have a 10 year old son and are planning to move to Jupiter, its a very family friendly area. Ive never been to Boca but ive heard it is nice but a bit older. We lived in Tiburon, ca for two years and was not a big fan. We are excited about our move (from Chicago) our son loves the outdoors and riding his bike to friends homes, swimming everyday, etc. We work from home too so playing golf and bbq/cooking outdoors is very appealing good luck w your move but i think Jupiter is worth a look while you are down there.
We've lived for 7 years in Mill Valley, and used to walk / skate at Blackie's Pasture every day after school.

Jupiter is too far up north for me. I want to stayaround Fort Lauderdale / Miami, to have access to everything a big city has to offer, but live in the country side.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,742 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I will tell you that middle school is nothing but Drama..lol Sorry but I have a 13 yr old going thru it now although she chooses to stay out of it as she has no patience for it...with that being said she has a few friends that go to Boca Middle and they have some issues with Fighting girls and boys, and the administration.....I hear the Gifted Program is good because they really don't mingle with the Students who are Non-Gifted/in the Choice Programs.....My daughter's friend was thrown down stairs because she was being bullied it has been a whole mess, and next year if she cant move to OMNI she is homeschooling...with that being said only you know what is good for your child I advise you to go up to school and talk to administration although when I had gone they werent very nice maybe because I have a NY accent they do not seem like very many people....I wasn't impressed with the school but that is just my opinion.....Good Luck with your move....My daughter attends Omni Middle..
My daughter has an IEP for selective mutism, so I'll definitely interview a couple of schools, at least. So far, she was able to stay out of trouble, since she is not mixing up with anyone, but I wish she'd do, of course without the brawling.

Thank you for your insights.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay Area Florida
7,937 posts, read 18,553,292 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by inplainview View Post
My daughter has an IEP for selective mutism, so I'll definitely interview a couple of schools, at least. So far, she was able to stay out of trouble, since she is not mixing up with anyone, but I wish she'd do, of course without the brawling.

Thank you for your insights.
Please check out some other Boca Schools....Eagles Landing, Omni and Loggers Run...I dont know if Boca Middle will suit her needs and I can tell you they aren't very welcoming the kids so Ive been told by some of the kids and parents, but either way good luck to you...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 5,112,253 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by inplainview View Post


- for the first year, until we find our bearing, we'd like to rent a 1-bedroom. The budget I thought it might be appropriate is about $1,000/month.
See my post on rental rates increasing, things will be a bargain here compared to San Fransisco on average but it's getting more expensive, just keep that in mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: SE Florida
9,363 posts, read 23,552,509 times
Reputation: 9395
When we moved here a couple of years ago, I had a child in Boca Middle for ninth grade. I would not recommend it to anyone. The administration is terrible, they recently replaced one ineffective principal with another. The bullying is worse than average and the faculty seemed beaten down at the open house. (The faculty issue should have been a red flag.)

In contrast, Boca High is incredible. Positive, upbeat faculty and admin. I can't say enough about it. If my child would have had to spend another year at Boca Middle, I would have moved even though we love east Boca.

I hate to be a downer, but I suggest you reconsider Boca Middle. My child wasn't a behavior problem, was an honor student before she got there and has been since she left. She had a year of hell at Boca Middle and to say the administration was unresponsive would be an understatement.

And Swimmom warned me!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay Area Florida
7,937 posts, read 18,553,292 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
When we moved here a couple of years ago, I had a child in Boca Middle for ninth grade. I would not recommend it to anyone. The administration is terrible, they recently replaced one ineffective principal with another. The bullying is worse than average and the faculty seemed beaten down at the open house. (The faculty issue should have been a red flag.)

In contrast, Boca High is incredible. Positive, upbeat faculty and admin. I can't say enough about it. If my child would have had to spend another year at Boca Middle, I would have moved even though we love east Boca.

I hate to be a downer, but I suggest you reconsider Boca Middle. My child wasn't a behavior problem, was an honor student before she got there and has been since she left. She had a year of hell at Boca Middle and to say the administration was unresponsive would be an understatement.

And Swimmom warned me!
Mag great post As you have experience with the school and I agree Boca High you certainly can not go wrong....but for those who send their kids to Omni Spanish River is just as good As Boca High...and that is where the problem is, unfortunately for those who love east boca and have an older child HS age it becomes difficult like for us..We would have sent our son to Boca High he had a chance to attend in his Sophomore Year for Swim but decided to stay at River...Our daughter we knew we only wanted at Omni so Boca High wasn't option in the begining....I hope Mag's post helps...

For the Record Mag, the parents here in my neck of the woods are pissed to no end about the re-zoning of Omni to Boca Middle...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
 
63 posts, read 139,268 times
Reputation: 22
We're in West Boca between Lyons and 441 - my 9y.o. girl goes to Eagles Landing and besides a teacher or two she doesn't care for she's doing very well there. We hear stories of kids acting up every now and then but no cruel voilent issues.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top