U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM

48 posts, read 136,741 times

Advertisements

As one can tell from my previous posts, we are relocating in July to the West Palm Beach area. Can anyone tell me about hurricane season? Such as what to expect, how to be prepared, when to leave, and where do you go? Or does none of that apply?

I have lived in states where earthquakes and tornadoes are a threat but never a hurricane so I am interested to hear from locals what its really like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Nobody has any advice on how to prepare for a hurricane? Or what to expect?

Going to check out other forums for this one. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM

143 posts, read 423,634 times
Welllllll, that was an interesting read. Lol.
As for hurricane season, I have lived in south Florida for 30 years. It just depends on how active the season. We have only had to leave once and that was after the hurricane when we were without power for the third day, we left to a friends house then left to the west coast to Naples for a week. Our area of Boca was without power for two weeks, I believe it was hurricane Jean...I could be mistaken...other than that we try not to get all hyped up by the crazy weathermen on TV....we do fill our cars with gas and have cash on hand because the ATMs will be down....but for us it has thankfully been only once.....in 30 years. Our house doesn't even have shutters, nor a generator...

Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Thanks Jchiamom! Just trying to get a feel for what to expect and how to be prepared. FL is a whole new experience for my family and since we will be moving in right around that time, I just wanted to know how the locals react to hurricanes. Appreciate the info.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM

143 posts, read 423,634 times
Sure, no problem, try not to get to worried...the tv people get you all hyped up...it is good to be prepared. I do have a Tupperware that I keep with a battery operated small tv, flash lights, batteries, ect...

Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,111,747 times
I been through the last 3 that hit PBC, stayed through all of them. If they were like Andrew in intensity, I would have left.

Only positive thing about Hurricanes is, you know when they are coming, they are predictable, and even if they turn you have time to leave, what makes this a challenge is Florida geography. There is little place to go but to fly out or drive north and if you leave too late you will be sitting in heavy traffic. If a bad one is due to hit South Florida, the state will make the FL turnpike a one way road (both ways) north bound but honestly, I would not want think how getting gas in that chaotic mess? Let's just say it brings out the worst in people. Panic mode on hyper-drive.

During the past 3 hurricanes there was a lot of issues learned with power generation, stop lights and etc which would make the issues we all experienced down here less. A lot of places added generators so the gas pumps will work and food would stay refrigerated in the stores and so on.

If you stick it out here through a CAT 1, 2 or 3, expect power outages and not having power for a week. No phone, no cable, you have to plan prior by buying food and water, food should be dried and nothing refrigerated. You can invest in a generator if you wish, stock up on gas or go even farther and get a propane generator attached to your house to run it like nothing happened, but that's expensive.

Be prepared to toss out food out of the fridge too if the power does not come back on, or if you want you can stand in line for free ice and water.

The news stations here put out Hurricane Preparedness guides for newbies, I recommend you pick one up.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,232,147 times
I definitely second the advice on not listening to the media hype about storms -- if you hear the local weather people talking about a hurricane forming, you might want to check the NOAA website or WeatherUnderground for more accurate information. You can see if your area is within the "cone of uncertainty" within a 3 to 5 day period. Depending on those projections, I go to the store and load up on bottled water and start making sure my cell phone is completely charged and that the car has a full tank of gas and that I have spare cash on me.

We have storm shutters but do not have a generator. You might want to take a look around your front/backyard and see what objects could be propelled by high winds -- don't move them now, but make a mental note of what you'd need to move, and where to move it to, should a storm hit. One of our storm shutters closes up our patio area right before the pool, so our plan is to move things from the outside into the patio and lock the shutters should we see a storm.

One of the problems with the hurricane season is that we can have some storms form right off the Florida coast (most form just north of Africa so they take their time to get here). It is my understanding that the ones that form near our coast can occur in the later part of the hurricane season -- Oct./Nov. So it is good to be prepared especially in those instances. I also agree about the hurricane checklists that Publix and the newspapers publish. They contain lots of good information -- preparing for pets, prescriptions, that type of thing -- it's always good to have.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Great! Thank you everyone. Very good information.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 PM

326 posts, read 875,631 times
Also, back when I used to get a phone book (remember those), there was always information in the front about Hurricane Preparedness.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM

160 posts, read 274,842 times
I've been here for 17 years and only once have I really been seriously inconvenienced because of a hurricane. That was Wilma in 2005. I was without power for a week and lost the entire screen enclosure on the back patio and a couple of trees. But like has been mentioned, don't put too much into the media sensationalism. Almost all homes down here are constructed strong enough to at least withstand a category 4 hurricane. You might get roof damage, tree damage, etc.... but the chances of losing a house completely is slim to none unless we get another Andrew come through. You'll get the occasional tropical storm of small hurricane but most of what you'll see is just lots of rain. Chances of being greatly affected by a major hurricane in SoFL is much less than most of the southeast because here in SoFL the homes are built to withstand quite a bit. Wilma was the 4th costliest hurricane ever but very few people actually lost their homes. It was all cosmetic damage. Best way to prepare is to have a generator, canned foods, make sure your electronics batteries are charged (laptops and such because you may not lose your phone line, nice to have to communicate with your laptop if you lose power). There have been less than 10 Cat 4+ hurricanes to make landfall in FL since 1900. And it's a long state so chances of you getting hit with a Cat 4+ are pretty slim. Certainly no reason to let it affect your decision to move here. If you don't want to spend the big $$ to get a generator installed that runs the whole house, it doesn't hurt to have a smaller portable generator to help power your essentials when needed. Oh, don't wait until the last day to get gas because you'll be waiting in a long line haha. Do it a couple days in advance. You'll need the gas in your car eventually if you don't use it for a hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach