Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times

Advertisements

We're looking to purchase a vacation home in South Florida. Haven't spent enough time in the area to know where to start our search. We currently live in Toronto.

We're looking for a place we can spend a month a year in the winter right now - and have it become a part-time retirement home for 4-6 months a year 15 or so years from now.

What we like:

- Upscale amenities including shopping, hotels, restaurants, golf, spas, etc.
- Clean, low crime
- Cultural diversity. Are there many Asians in Florida? My wife is, and being somewhat close to an area where she can buy her groceries would be ideal.
- Close to a clean beach
- Tranquility - but close to major city amenities including airports, sports teams, entertainment etc.
- Activities for kids. We have a 3 year old son. He won't be attending the schools, so school district is not really a concern.

Considerations thus far: Boca Raton, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Coral Springs, Weston.

Also considering Scottsdale, AZ - which I know intimately.

Any comments on any of these cities are appreciated.

Last edited by Liberated in TO; 07-04-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
We're looking to purchase a vacation home in South Florida. Haven't spent enough time in the area to know where to start our search. We currently live in Toronto.

We're looking for a place we can spend a month a year in the winter right now - and have it become a part-time retirement home for 4-6 months a year 15 or so years from now.

What we like:

- Upscale amenities including shopping, hotels, restaurants, golf, spas, etc.
- Clean, low crime
- Cultural diversity. Are there many Asians in Florida? My wife is, and being somewhat close to an area where she can buy her groceries would be ideal.
- Close to a clean beach
- Tranquility - but close to major city amenities including airports, sports teams, entertainment etc.
- Activities for kids. We have a 3 year old son. He won't be attending the schools, so school district is not really a concern.

Considerations thus far: Boca Raton, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Coral Springs, Weston.

Also considering Scottsdale, AZ - which I know intimately.

Any comments on any of these cities are appreciated.
Jupiter. It's about as far south as you want to go if TRANQUILITY is in the equation.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM

33 posts, read 109,685 times
Boca Raton may not be bad since it will put you in the middle of South Florida. Coral Springs is a cheaper version of Boca...Weston I feel is so far out there and a pain to get anywhere. Jupiter does also match what you are looking for but thats up north, so if you were planning on wanting to be near Ft Lauderdale or Miami (or even WEst Palm) it's a bit of a trip each time.

But, like with any urban area crime is of the essence anywhere, but those cities i mentioned I would feel quite safe in. There is a light asian community scattered all over Palm Beach and Broward, but not in any particular area. Census shows that it may be about 5%. Also, along 167th St in North Miami Beach is a small chinatown, and while it's a cool place to check out, I wouldn't live around there.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 PM

87 posts, read 168,701 times
Weston and Coral Springs are in the west part of Broward. You would at least 30 minutes away from a beach. Factor in traffic and finding parking and you would be looking at least an hour before your toes hit the sand.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I live in Weston --
Upscale amenities -- check. Weston is close to Sawgrass Mall, Pembroke Gardens, Pembroke Lakes Mall -- lots of nice shops and restaurants. Nice spas at Bonaventure (member of the Red Door) and Weston Athletic Center. I've used both. Nice hotels nearby too.

Clean, low crime -- check. Weston is a planned community -- everything landscaped -- lots of HOA which also require upkeep on homes (if you don't like HOA's, you will eliminate about 90% of Weston).

Cultural diversity -- check. Nearly half of Weston came originally from South America. In my neighborhood I am surrounded by neighbors who originally came from Cuba, Canada, India and South Korea.

Close to a clean beach -- what is your definition of close? Fort Lauderdale beach is about a 30 to 45 minute drive. Not very close. Pools are big here.

Tranquility -- check. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is about 20 minutes away (depending on traffic); Florida Panthers play in the arena by the Sawgrass -- about 15 minutes away, if that (lots of concerts there too). The stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie, home of the Dolphins, is about 20 minutes to the south.

Children activities -- check. Lots of kids out here.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM

33 posts, read 109,685 times
It's a great place to raise a family, not arguing that. Sawgrass is not what I would call an "upscale amenity." FLL may be easy to get too but you are equally far from the other two nearest major airports. And as far as Weston goes, where does one work that lives in Weston? I'm guess most work in ft lauderdale or Miami, which I think would be a terrible commute either way. Plus the Mosquitos are huge in Weston.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM

513 posts, read 961,748 times
I have never seen a more lazy board of people then some of the posters on this site.

First of all, your asians population question is silly. As if Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese all enjoy the same food/activities.

Its like saying, how many whites are in this part of South Florida.

Answer you question, there is no ChinaTown or Little Tokyo in Miami or WPB. Very few "Asians".

Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Why come to Florida and live in Weston? That's like far inland- not close to the beach or water.... and it's just plain boring. Nothing but gated subdivisions and shopping plazas. I mean, it's nice looking, however It's not exactly a nice place to vacation or retire. It's kind of out of the way- waaaay out west.

I think Boca would be nice for u all. If you'd like to be around other Canadians, perhaps consider Hallandale Beach, that's like little Canada, I swear....mostly french Canadians though, ewwww. lol jk

Boca Raton is great. Live there. You'll love.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

326 posts, read 949,803 times
Hollywood Beach=Little Quebec

Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM

143 posts, read 471,915 times
Boca would fit what yup are looking for...close to the beach, lots of restaurants, plenty of things to do. Many people keep vacation homes here. In my neighborhood of 33 homes I believe at least 8/10 are vacation homes. It is not uncommon here. In Parkland or Weston I believe it would be more uncommon. I would try stick to a gated community for the extra security, this way your home is protected when you are not here. There should be plenty of good deals in the area. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach