U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 25,795 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Southwest Florida now for around 10 years. In a sense I love it and hate it. I love that it's so quiet. People pretty much keep to themselves. Especially where I live. I live around the Naples/Ft Myers area and all you see are the retired, the white and the rich. I definitely can appreciate living somewhere quiet. Problem is the fact that you have the people who think they are so much better than you and look down on anyone who doesn't fit their conservative stereotype.

Part of me would like to ignore that and just live here but honestly, if I would want to get a home with my fiancee and raise a family here, it would pretty much be living in a crappy area where bad things happen because we can't afford that much. I don't want that. I'm going into the education field and I know I won't be making tons of money. Neither will my partner. Apart from that, we are a lesbian couple and that alone isn't the best thing in this world when you live in the area that I live (Conservative).

Here's the thing, I'm not looking to "flaunt" my sexuality. I'm really not. If I'm out with her though, I'd like to be able to hold her hand without having a ton of weird as$ stares. If a straight couple can hold their hands, why shouldn't I? They aren't flaunting anything right? Over here I held her hand when we were passing by a restaurant and it was like these people couldn't stop staring. I know the looks will happen anywhere but I at least want to know I'd be somewhere safe, or a little more liberal.

I want someone's opinion about these two places. I have been to SE FL a couple times but I never really traveled that much. And it's like I'm living in a bubble over here. But I'm looking into my options now that I'm almost out of the university.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM

326 posts, read 918,884 times
From what I've read here on CD, it seems like jobs for teachers/education are not easy to come by on the Southeast coast, but I don't have any kids so I really can't tell you what it's like first hand.

As far as being able to be affectionate with your partner over here I think you may still get some sideways glances, but it's much more liberal around places like Ft Lauderdale and Miami Beach. There's a large LGBT population here. Probably if you went a bit north into Palm Beach you'll run into more conservative people.

I lived in Naples for awhile several years ago and I don't think I knew one gay couple or gay person for that matter. It seems like Ft Myers is a bit younger, but still pretty conservative. I know quite a few gay and bi people over here. Couples and singles.

I also think that side (the SW) of the state is a little more affordable, or at least you get more for what you pay even in spendy Naples. And like you said, it is a bit quieter.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 PM

5,359 posts, read 9,069,199 times
I think southeast FL would be better for an LGBT couple because it's a lot more cosmopolitan. Fort Lauderdale has a huge LGBT community, same with Miami and Miami Beach. . I doubt anyone would even bat an eye lash and seeing a lesbian or gay couple holding hands. .

Seriously, the rest of Florida needs to get with the program. Big whoop if 2 women or 2 men are holding hands? so what? Perhaps consider broward county? even southern Palm beach county from Boca up to delray

Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,299,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I think southeast FL would be better for an LGBT couple because it's a lot more cosmopolitan. Fort Lauderdale has a huge LGBT community, same with Miami and Miami Beach. . I doubt anyone would even bat an eye lash and seeing a lesbian or gay couple holding hands. .

Seriously, the rest of Florida needs to get with the program. Big whoop if 2 women or 2 men are holding hands? so what? Perhaps consider broward county? even southern Palm beach county from Boca up to delray
Lake Worth actually probably has one of the largest gay populations in Palm Beach County. The gay community center there is one of the largest in the Southeast US (I think I read that once).

West Palm Beach also has a domestic partner registry and a non-discrimination charter.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

4,958 posts, read 6,882,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglenick View Post
I have lived in Southwest Florida now for around 10 years. In a sense I love it and hate it. I love that it's so quiet. People pretty much keep to themselves. Especially where I live. I live around the Naples/Ft Myers area and all you see are the retired, the white and the rich. I definitely can appreciate living somewhere quiet. Problem is the fact that you have the people who think they are so much better than you and look down on anyone who doesn't fit their conservative stereotype.

Part of me would like to ignore that and just live here but honestly, if I would want to get a home with my fiancee and raise a family here, it would pretty much be living in a crappy area where bad things happen because we can't afford that much. I don't want that. I'm going into the education field and I know I won't be making tons of money. Neither will my partner. Apart from that, we are a lesbian couple and that alone isn't the best thing in this world when you live in the area that I live (Conservative).

Here's the thing, I'm not looking to "flaunt" my sexuality. I'm really not. If I'm out with her though, I'd like to be able to hold her hand without having a ton of weird as$ stares. If a straight couple can hold their hands, why shouldn't I? They aren't flaunting anything right? Over here I held her hand when we were passing by a restaurant and it was like these people couldn't stop staring. I know the looks will happen anywhere but I at least want to know I'd be somewhere safe, or a little more liberal.

I want someone's opinion about these two places. I have been to SE FL a couple times but I never really traveled that much. And it's like I'm living in a bubble over here. But I'm looking into my options now that I'm almost out of the university.
The cost of housing in SE Florida is insane and the pace is life in the fast lane.
(After 16 years, I'm working on getting out for these reasons.)
I'm not that familiar with the area you live in, but it's pretty conservative here as well, except for some areas in Ft Lauderdale.. even then, I've gone on dates there, and have had dates carry on about "the gays" and stare at them like they were aliens....I'm heterosexual, don't think anyone's sexuality is anyone else's business, but I'm not so sure this area would be much different.
Best of luck.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM

232 posts, read 739,783 times
Insane as in insanely high or low?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,006,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
The cost of housing in SE Florida is insane and the pace is life in the fast lane.
I'm not that familiar with the area you live in, but it's pretty conservative here as well, except for some areas in Ft Lauderdale.. even then, I've gone on dates there, and have had dates carry on about "the gays" and stare at them like they were aliens....I'm heterosexual, don't think anyone's sexuality is anyone else's business, but I'm not so sure this area would be much different.
Best of luck.
No insane cost of living here FOR US. All depends where you came from.

For us, this is a CAKE WALK. Come to southeast florida. You would love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,299,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Best of luck.

The cost of housing is actually pretty cheap these days. Cheaper than it's been in probably 10 years +.... I still see deals that make my jaw drop sometimes.

I live close to downtown in the heart of the county and do not have a "fast" pace of life. It's as fast or as slow as you want it to be. That is something YOU control no matter where you are.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM

5,359 posts, read 9,069,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The cost of housing is actually pretty cheap these days. Cheaper than it's been in probably 10 years +.... I still see deals that make my jaw drop sometimes.

I live close to downtown in the heart of the county and do not have a "fast" pace of life. It's as fast or as slow as you want it to be. That is something YOU control no matter where you are.
exactly.

I live in broward county and my life certainly isn't in the "fast lane" lol.
I wake up, have coffee, check my emails, go to work, come home, eat, chexck my emails again, relax by the pool maybe go for a run...

rinse and repeat again tomorrow.

definitely not life in the "fast lane" lol

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,379,200 times
Very different parts of Florida, I enjoy both coasts but SW FL has less professional job opportunities and is definatley slower paced. Not much nightlife and quite boring for some people, I go over there as a diversion from life here.

Home prices have dropped all over South Florida, but it's still not a cheap place to live for many when you figure in average incomes. Many also can't afford the taxes and windstorm coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach