Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM

67 posts, read 189,762 times

Advertisements

Hi I have been renting in Abacoa for almost a year. Our family really likes it here, but we are also considering buying in Egret Landing. Anyone live in both areas or know people who have lived in both? Can you compare the two? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,616,842 times
I wish you luck in whatever you decide, but for the love of humanity, go over ANY hoa contract that is put in front of you with a magnifying glass. Ask about the ratio of uninhabited properties to inhabited. Ask to see the records of the past few years dues. This is what is going to make the difference in your quality of life and finances. Your Hoa fee can average 400.00 a month and jump considerably at the whim of the board or if there is a high rental population. Florida realty law is not 'buyer' oriented. You cant really go wrong as far as quality of life goes in either area, but the fees warrant some consideration

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Evergreen is a perfect example of HOA fees that have increased to $500 a month. People are losing their homes in there. Egret's fees are lower and have been pretty low according to what I have heard. My friend lives in Rialto and hers have increased significantly since the clubhouse opened.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookahan View Post
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Evergreen is a perfect example of HOA fees that have increased to $500 a month. People are losing their homes in there. Egret's fees are lower and have been pretty low according to what I have heard. My friend lives in Rialto and hers have increased significantly since the clubhouse opened.
Evergrene is a perfect example of this craziness. A lot Evergrene homeowners are upside down right now due to the market. There are more financial difficulties than one might imagine there. The HOA dues are creating havoc with some peoples finances. Also remember, this is money that you will never get a return on.
Just keep that in mind. Every Evergrene forclosure, financial problem or usless 'improvement' to the clublhouse is going to increase your HOA fees commensurately. In an area that cannot sell homes for even close to what they sold for 5 years ago, this is a huge factor to take into consideration. Mortgage providers base your rate on these factors, also. Not tying to be a buzzkill or Debby Downer, just want to see you make a move that you might be happy with.
Again, good luck in your hunt

Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,370,137 times
None of the hoa's in Abacoa or Egrets are even $300 a month unless you are in a condo/townhouse... Foreclosures and short sales are becoming increasingly limited in both of these areas as well. Inventory is very low right now in general, and properties that do come on the market sell quickly if they are priced well.

Abacoa is mix of 14-15 different communities with everything from small condos to 5500+sqft homes so it can vary. Divosta built the majority of Abacoa so the floorplans in the communities are fairly similar even though the exteriors have changed depending on the community.
Abacoa is designed with smaller lots and more community space and most of the communities have a common pool/clubhouse/playground etc.
I live in Abacoa currently and really enjoy it.

I have friends in Egrets and they really like it there as well. The dues are just over a $100 a month and have been for years. You tend to get a little larger lot there, the homes were built from around 1994 to the present so you have a little more variety. The amenities are great.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
None of the hoa's in Abacoa or Egrets are even $300 a month unless you are in a condo/townhouse... Foreclosures and short sales are becoming increasingly limited in both of these areas as well. Inventory is very low right now in general, and properties that do come on the market sell quickly if they are priced well.

Abacoa is mix of 14-15 different communities with everything from small condos to 5500+sqft homes so it can vary. Divosta built the majority of Abacoa so the floorplans in the communities are fairly similar even though the exteriors have changed depending on the community.
Abacoa is designed with smaller lots and more community space and most of the communities have a common pool/clubhouse/playground etc.
I live in Abacoa currently and really enjoy it.

I have friends in Egrets and they really like it there as well. The dues are just over a $100 a month and have been for years. You tend to get a little larger lot there, the homes were built from around 1994 to the present so you have a little more variety. The amenities are great.

Thank you for clarifying, Skylinet.
In another thread, I recommenced Abacoa--which I feel anyone could find a suitable property in, somewhere--and with little buyers remorse. lots of stuff to do, convenient to 95
I have relatives in Evergrene, and they have had nothing but problems from mold to HOA/ Clubhouse fee craziness. I would not recommend Evergrene as an investment right now.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,142,762 times
I would love to have a home in evergrene. It's beautiful, unique and in a great location. Very little INVENTORY and whenever one house comes in , it seems to be sold fast. We are always there visiting and have only felt / heard good things about it from residents, neighbors and people we now know who live there. I've asked so many people now about this 'mold' posted above, no one has heard of it or has had problems. ? where is this mold?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 21,478,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
I would love to have a home in evergrene. It's beautiful, unique and in a great location. Very little INVENTORY and whenever one house comes in , it seems to be sold fast. We are always there visiting and have only felt / heard good things about it from residents, neighbors and people we now know who live there. I've asked so many people now about this 'mold' posted above, no one has heard of it or has had problems. ? where is this mold?
Google search: WCI Evergrene Mold = http://palmbeachrealestatebuzz.wordp...beach-gardens/

A. The conversation was comparing two neighborhoods with low HOA fees, Evergrene cannot be included in this conversation with their outrageous fees. Both neighborhoods are also in Jupiter and attend better rated schools than Evergrene
B. Plenty of homes have been for sale for "years" in Evergrene. One on Vintner is coming up on 2 years now, guy paid 800K, trying to get 599K on a house valued by the county at 492K!
C. Mold and poor construction were all part of a class action lawsuit against the developer WCI and well documented.

Evergrene made the huge mistake to go gated 24/7 and have a very substantial "in house" HOA staff whereas many surrounding communities have smaller staffs and outsource to management companies that must bid on getting the contract. If Evergrene fired their HOA staff and went to a management company they could easily knock 25% off the HOA fees.

Last edited by City Guy997S; 10-15-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

16,911 posts, read 21,478,893 times
Back to Egret vs. Abacoa....

Egret is not zero lot line and attends all Jupiter schools. Abacoa is zero lot line, their HOA fee is more comprehensive (lawn maintenance included for example) and their communities are split between Jupiter/PBG schools at the high school level. Egret has more cash on the balance sheet, they own their clubhouse/pool for example and even lowered their HOA fee last year due to a surplus in the budget (like $50 or so less one quarter). In their HOA fee you get free basic cable. Egret also only has one access point so you don't get as much drive through traffic as Abacoa.

Egret has more styles of homes due to multiple builders. Abacoa was primarily a Divosta build out (though Valencia, parts of Greenway were outside builders) and many of the floorplans are similar though different neighborhoods have different themes.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks for your input City Guy. You made some valid points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach