Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 88,938 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a fixer upper in this area, I have a 3 yr old and another on the way so schools are important although I am open to home schooling so it's not a determining factor. My concerns with the area:
-flood zone?
-cancer cluster???
-best areas (safest)
-not too close to farms where they spray pesticides.

Can someone recommend within which streets etc we should focus our search in? We want to pay no more than 100k (we care more about the potential than the actual shape of the current home/lawn status etc) we were looking at zip 33470.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,483,882 times
Loxahatchee is where the farms are, the acreage is more residental. Are there still homes going for that cheap? Foreclosures?

Cancer cluster not been proven, and there were no studies done or questions asked about possible linkage between cell phone batteries and constantly drinking bottled water, so without any proof I'm inclined to think its coincidence.

The storm last year was unprecedented and flooded parts of loxahatchee for weeks, and most of the acreage for days. Besides the unprecedented rain on basically ONE spot, 19" I think? The other major parts of the problem where politics between water management of one area versus the other. And those in loxhatchee feel they were left to flood while the wealthier in Wellington were pumped out.

The water almost made it into the garage at our house, within 1 inch. It took 2-3 days to drain out completely, we live right on the corner of 2 canals. The water did not come over the banks, it just could not drain out from the swales fast enough. Took a good couple of weeks for everything to drain out around us. Ah and the smell of dead fish floating by! Anyway the whole thing was NOT the norm. There was no flooding that bad like that from any major hurricane.

"safest" doesn't really compute. Smart people looking to move in drive up and down the streets where they are looking to buy to see how the neighbors are at various parts of the day. Its all in who your neighbors are.

I have no knowledge about schools, no kids.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. Is there a difference between homes located west of seminole pw rd. vs east? I was told to stay west but not sure why...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM

You were probably told to stay west of I95. West of Seminole Pratt is Sugar Cane. The acreage doesn't even start until you hit 441, and Loxahatchee is west of that, after that you're in sugar cane country until you hit that big lake in the center of the state.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+palm+beach+county+acreage&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=ahwsUdu6G4P68gSVhoHYDA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks! Have you ever been effected health wise by the sugar cain burning? Do you even notice it?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM

The burning only every once in awhile might blow this way, like every other year. I never see them burn on very windy days, typically smoke goes straight up before it disperses. I work in belle glade once a week so I see it alot. That and cow manure fertilizer season. Thats worse but still a good 15 miles from loxahatchee.

Only burning I have smelled in the acreage have been brush fires durning the dry season.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,725,330 times
Little tree I have to second what wireyourworld said. Last years sudden rainstorm gave us more rain than hurricane Wilma did.

I also don't have kids, but from what I hear from those who do, the schools are good to excellent. But that will also depend where you buy if you decide to. I'm in the southeast corner of the Acreage close to Royal Palm Bch. Easy to get anywhere, though it wasn't always that way.

The Lox/Acreage, area under the Indian Trail Improvement District consists of 36 sq miles. So it is really difficult to say just what a certain area would best suit you. The area I'm in is older than the Seminole Pratt area around Northlake Blvd.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,610,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little tree View Post
We are looking for a fixer upper in this area, I have a 3 yr old and another on the way so schools are important although I am open to home schooling so it's not a determining factor. My concerns with the area:
-flood zone?
-cancer cluster???
-best areas (safest)
-not too close to farms where they spray pesticides.

Can someone recommend within which streets etc we should focus our search in? We want to pay no more than 100k (we care more about the potential than the actual shape of the current home/lawn status etc) we were looking at zip 33470.

Thanks in advance!!!
We lived off 72nd Rd N and Banyan, still own a home there. It was always safe, never had problems. Neighbors very nice people. Loxahatchee is really hit and miss and you have to open your eyes to the particular street or streets around what you are interested. Some streets had great people who all took care of their homes well and were proud to own. Others not so much. Stories of pot growers and helicopter raids were common but again, I never saw one in the radius of few streets we lived in. I jogged all over the area daily and rode my horse around all the streets a lot. Most streets were nice and quiet.

Common problems: people on ATVs running around the streets and raising dust. Mostly inconsiderate kids. Same applies to motor bikes and dirt bikes. Some of the lots in between houses are undeveloped and they tend to turn into dirt bike and ATV tracks.

Bonus: depending on where you are, you can be close to Hungryland and Corbett which will allow you horseback riding, hiking, bicycling (and for whoever is interested, hunting).

Don't have kids so can't tell you about the schools.

The whole area is growing. It experienced a temporary hick up with the foreclosure business and the cancer cluster (a double whammy) but it is recovering. If you are looking to buy and you do not mind the pending question of whether there was a cancer cluster or not, it would be a great time to buy.

Publix is there, they now have a gas station (it was very busy since it is the only one in the immediate area and it was very poorly designed space/access wise but nevertheless...), new library was being built when we left etc.

We personally liked the area - moved for a job to Texas, however, we still own our home there and will be back.

My $.02

P.S. The demographics of Loxahatchee are very mixed - anything from plumbers, construction workers to middle class admin staff to well to do business owners and educated professionals. This is why it is a hit and miss proposition. One of your neighbors can be a secretary married to a carpenter, the other can be a doctor and yet another can be a business owner.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM

The library is there and quite nice, we voted there and signed up for library cards at the same time. Lol

Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks wireyourworld, gregm, and ognend for your helpful replies! We just got back from driving the area and just taking a look at a few houses that interested us and i've got to say i'm really liking it! We even stopped by the publix near seminole pw, and although i'm more of a whole foods gal (glad to see a new one not to far away has opened in wellington) i was glad to see it's pretty nice, but then again, with more land we plan on having a garden. The homes we saw happen to be more in the 33412 area code near royal palm beach. We will be ready in about 3 months to seriously look and make any offers as we're waiting until after the baby so wish us luck! Thanks again!!

P.s one more question you might know answer to, are there any restrictions with owning farm animals such as chickens, a pig and sheep? Does your land need to be more than 2 acres? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach