Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times

Advertisements

City-guy...I can only hope that you are wrong...but we will be visiting the agent on Friday of this week to discuss the insurance and costs...

When we were researching new construction...we would ask about the insurance and most would comment $1500 to $2500. After we decided on Rialto we walked around the development engaging those who wanted to talk...to ask about the area, etc...one of our questions was the home owners insurance and most comments were in the $1500 to $3000 range. Of course the larger...$500,000+ homes were much more to insure...as well as the 2 story homes...the smaller homes like the one we are purchasing were in the $1500 to $2000 range.

When we priced insurance via the Lennar Insurance Company...they gave us a written price of $1511 per year which included "Hazard Insurance"...another agent that lives in the development gave us $1700 quote and the agent we are meeting Friday gave us an estimate of $1500...so time will tell and I will post my results after we return...

BTW...our house is a straight ranch, 2200 Sq Ft, 3B, 2B, 2 Car garage, etc...costing less that $400K even with the options my wife added...so once again...I hope you are wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
City-guy...I can only hope that you are wrong...but we will be visiting the agent on Friday of this week to discuss the insurance and costs...

When we were researching new construction...we would ask about the insurance and most would comment $1500 to $2500. After we decided on Rialto we walked around the development engaging those who wanted to talk...to ask about the area, etc...one of our questions was the home owners insurance and most comments were in the $1500 to $3000 range. Of course the larger...$500,000+ homes were much more to insure...as well as the 2 story homes...the smaller homes like the one we are purchasing were in the $1500 to $2000 range.

When we priced insurance via the Lennar Insurance Company...they gave us a written price of $1511 per year which included "Hazard Insurance"...another agent that lives in the development gave us $1700 quote and the agent we are meeting Friday gave us an estimate of $1500...so time will tell and I will post my results after we return...

BTW...our house is a straight ranch, 2200 Sq Ft, 3B, 2B, 2 Car garage, etc...costing less that $400K even with the options my wife added...so once again...I hope you are wrong...
Even at 400K replacement cost and impact glass, newest construction codes $1500 sounds way too cheap. Hopefully you are getting a deal but keep us posted either way.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
One thing to think about when getting those quotes, they are often just low like $1500 the first year, your renewal premium can skyrocket.

Mine started at $800 when I lived there, went up to $1300 within 3 years, I moved and made it a rental, it went up to about $1500, and now stands at about $2100.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Talking Written Contract Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Even at 400K replacement cost and impact glass, newest construction codes $1500 sounds way too cheap. Hopefully you are getting a deal but keep us posted either way.
Just received a written conract from North American Advantage Insurance Services - which is owned by Lennar - for $1541 yearly...of course this is minimum insurance, covering the standard required coverage w/hazard...I realize when I increase liability/medical/contents/etc...the price will jump...but right now it's $1541...

I will keep you posted when I return...for I am just as curious as everyone else that is new to Florida as to what it is really going to cost...

Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
rusty, I would be concerned with that price. I have never heard of NAAIS. Do they have a rating? (A-AA-AAA)

Sounds to me like Lennar set them up just so they could close on homes. Don't be surprised if they dump you out on the open market when the policy expires. Then the price will REALLY go up. I've been with the same Agent and Co for 20 years now. It pays to get with a reliable Co. right from the start. Many "fly-by nites" went broke in 04-05.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
We live in Martinique (across from Windsor) and have Federated National Insurance, they are A rated. We have a $500,000 home. Our policy is $1700 a year including wind. The previous owners of our home used the same company for several years and they paid less than we do. So it is possible.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 AM

Default I'm not!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
rusty, I would be concerned with that price. I have never heard of NAAIS. Do they have a rating? (A-AA-AAA)

Sounds to me like Lennar set them up just so they could close on homes. Don't be surprised if they dump you out on the open market when the policy expires. Then the price will REALLY go up. I've been with the same Agent and Co for 20 years now. It pays to get with a reliable Co. right from the start. Many "fly-by nites" went broke in 04-05.
Thank-you GregM...we are not going to use the Lennar company...I just did not like talking to them on the phone...and they are located in California...

We were seriously considering the Allstate Agent we were referred to...but now I will be googling the Federated National Insurance to see what they offer...thanks Jgreco

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Rusty, I don't want to rain on your parade but $1500 for a 500K house isn't realistic. I strongly suspect that you didn't ask specific questions....like you asked what is my homeowner's insurance going to be? I would bet your homeowners insurance is $1500, but then windstorm will be another $2000 then if you want flood it will be another $300 for a total of $3800.
How can you comment on this when he didn't even mention if his policy includes actual cash value or replacement cost for the structure and personal property? Doesn't seem like anyone in this thread did. Depending on which it is, the total premium amount is going to vary quite a bit.

OP you need to inventory and figure out just how much coverage you need for YOU. Everyone's coverage will be unique. Talk it through with an agent if you need help.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Exclamation Here We Go

We just got back from Florida yesterday and as promised our results...

1 - the guy at Allstate told us how great he was and how much he was going to save us, but would not give us anymore than a guess-ta-mitt......of about $1,800.00......and that he deal with 17 other insurance companies...

2 - the female at Federated National Insurance deals with 19 companies and supplied us with a written estimate of $2000.00......we were a little over insured with this policy......but it covered Hurricane, Wind, Sinkhole, Pool, Mold, Dogs, etc......a 1 million dollar umbrella added another $250+.... She spent the time necessary to explain everything and would of tweaked it if we wanted to....Flood Insurance was not required...but would cost about $300...so roughly $2,500 a year...

3 - the policy offered by the Lennar Company was still the best price, but coverage was limited and they do not offer an umbrella policy...their auto insurance is also limited...

One thing I found is that many companies do not insure both homes and autos...they are afraid of a double hit...but even the car insurance has a hurricane/wind policy included...and companies still offer a discount for home and auto even if you are not insured with the same company...

If anyone wants contact info on anyone PM me and I will send you the contact info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach