Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times

Advertisements

I have applied but have not even interviewed yet, for a job in South Florida.

I spoke to the hiring manager, (internal job opening), he said it is a big territory stretching from North of Port St Lucie to Key West. He said that for the least windshield time, West Palm beach would be the best location. I can office and live in many locations. I.E. the last person with the job was in Orlando, but that put him on the extreme northern edge of his territory.

Looking at places to rent and for sale, it seems that the water front can have some affordable places. I may not even want a place and may look for a live aboard if the waiting lists at the marinas are not too long.

However, if I did have to have an a condo, this one 5600 N. Flagler seems like a likely choice.

5600 N Flagler Dr APT 1807, West Palm Beach, FL 33407 - Zillow

5600 N Flagler Dr APT 1807, West Palm Beach, FL 33407 - Zillow.

Ideas, comments?

I am in my 50's no kids, wife, one dog and one cat. Right now no one goes out in the yard except the cat. The dachshund is so old we have either carry her out or scootch her off the porch to get to go.

At the rate the dog is going, I don't think she will ever see Florida, and if the cat doesn't watch her attitude, I may take to the Taxidermist and have her fixed!

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Something wrong with the apartment? No. Something wrong with the area it's in? Possibly, depending on your comfort level with being an urban pioneer.

That area is in the "Northwood" neighborhood of West Palm Beach however, so that is why the price is cheaper than the southern side of West Palm Beach.

Northwood is a gentrifying area, closer to the water, the better, as it abuts a not-so-nice area on its northern and western fringe.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
I wouldn't go with that area.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM

130 posts, read 240,708 times
Is there a gatehouse, door person out front? Your in a highrise, I wouldn't worry about getting broken into.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Something wrong with the apartment? No. Something wrong with the area it's in? Possibly, depending on your comfort level with being an urban pioneer.

That area is in the "Northwood" neighborhood of West Palm Beach however, so that is why the price is cheaper than the southern side of West Palm Beach.

Northwood is a gentrifying area, closer to the water, the better, as it abuts a not-so-nice area on its northern and western fringe.
Thanks,

I'll keep looking. I can might be able to office a little further north in Riviera Beach, or spend a little more and move south. The goal would be to have a view over the water, and be able to walk to work. If I had to sacrifice one, it would be the walk.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
That has a nice waterview.......downside (major) is the area is rough, particularly after dark. The FPL powerplant 500 ft up the road isn't great either.

The apartment might be immune to break-ins but your car is still on the ground! Walking in that area is not happening unless you want to buy drugs or some female/tranny companionship!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 240,708 times
For the price and view, you aren't going to find anything like it in PBC, I'd jump on that if I was looking. Definitely check it out, I'm sure there is a fenced in lot with security and there's a buffer between the real hood and that building. I see people walking there dogs and jogging during the day. Your car can get broken into ANYWHERE, the mall, City Place, your work, I wouldn't let that deter your decision...

Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
For the price and view, you aren't going to find anything like it in PBC, I'd jump on that if I was looking. Definitely check it out, I'm sure there is a fenced in lot with security and there's a buffer between the real hood and that building. I see people walking there dogs and jogging during the day. Your car can get broken into ANYWHERE, the mall, City Place, your work, I wouldn't let that deter your decision...
Thanks every one.

I needed to know. It seemed about 400 a month lower than the other condos with a view. But at 1400, that seemed very cheap for a good sized place on the water. I will get 1350 or better for my house in a little college town in nowheresville Texas. A no cost move would have been sweet, but I will pay more to get the view and be able to walk.

I don't even have the interview yet, and the different office locations availabe have not been discussed, so it is pointless to get more involved at this time.

Thank again

Qazulight

Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 93,267 times
You mentioned Riviera Beach...I would not live in Riviera Beach. It is a run down area with many low cost housing areas and a lot of crime. Small pockets of it are ok but as a whole area ...no.
The south end of Northwood is ok ...I have a friend who lived there and she liked it. Many buyers have done things up and it is considered an up and coming area. Old Northwood has a strong community organization too. If you go towards North PAlm BEach you might get a condo on the water for a lesser price. Won't be new however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach