Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times

Advertisements

THX is NOT spot on. You folks just don't know what you think you do. Its pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
THX is NOT spot on. You folks just don't know what you think you do. Its pretty sad.
and what do we do? Ive lived in 6 different states and have had all kinds of experiences in each of them...There is nothing sad with people telling the Truth what is sad is when someone goes into a relocation with rose colored glasses because not everyone see's what the next person does, and if ANYONE tells me there are NO negatives for South Florida then your wrong...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I have to say I agree with you and the reason is, as much as we LOVED Boca and we did, One can not ignore the Negatives of Boca or anywhere in South Florida from Our Experience...the problem with these boards is that one can not put objectively how they feel because they are either a "Cheerleader or a Debbie Downer" the bottom line is, Relocation is huge for most people and or families and when one makes a mistake that sometimes they can not fix, it really sucks...if we had to do it all over again we would have chosen Florida again, however at the same token We have reservations about heading back so since the OP is moving from another country well I can tell you, you will have Culture Shock..We knew the good the bad and ugly before we moved, we miss it a lot... We were very happy with the schools the kids attended, and if we were to come back while my daughter was in HS she would attend Spanish River and or Boca High but I dont want the OP to think that its all peaches and cream because its not....

There is good bad and ugly everywhere but one really needs to move with blinders OFF and take a good look to see if its a good fit for them...
I know people that love it and people who hate it and some riding the median, some lived here for 20 to 30 years and do not post on message boards, a few had some real life changing experiences based on the economy which has left many feeling disgusted and many talk about leaving. I am happy to see we share some similar feelings as I too like much of what South Florida offers and Boca has a lot of amenities to go along with it, if you can afford it. Much of South Florida comes off as a playground for the rich, it's in it's DNA thanks to Flagler who developed it for that reason. No...you do not have to be rich to live here, but it sure helps to have good positive cash flow to make life easier. If your lucky, you can live quite well here but on average people are just getting by as the COL rises.

One thing people tend to forget is, South Florida's economy is a bubble based on a aging population that is moving here in droves, this generation came from a different era literally...they had stable jobs, pensions and weathered previous recessions quite well. They did not pay artificial inflated prices for their homes in the Northeast back in the 60's, they did not live on credit cards or have to carry excessive debt because of many factors mainly because they were not having housing consuming 50% of their income among other things that make living today more expensive.

In the distant future when the Baby Boomers start passing on, one has to look around Palm Beach County and other areas where this is common, and ask...who will driving the economy when the average household has tons of debt and suffered damage that has set them back a generation.

Of course not all of this applies to everyone, but if it does then you know who you are...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I know people that love it and people who hate it and some riding the median, some lived here for 20 to 30 years and do not post on message boards, a few had some real life changing experiences based on the economy which has left many feeling disgusted and many talk about leaving. I am happy to see we share some similar feelings as I too like much of what South Florida offers and Boca has a lot of amenities to go along with it, if you can afford it. Much of South Florida comes off as a playground for the rich, it's in it's DNA thanks to Flagler who developed it for that reason. No...you do not have to be rich to live here, but it sure helps to have good positive cash flow to make life easier. If your lucky, you can live quite well here but on average people are just getting by as the COL rises.

One thing people tend to forget is, South Florida's economy is a bubble based on a aging population that is moving here in droves, this generation came from a different era literally...they had stable jobs, pensions and weathered previous recessions quite well. They did not pay artificial inflated prices for their homes in the Northeast back in the 60's, they did not live on credit cards or have to carry excessive debt because of many factors mainly because they were not having housing consuming 50% of their income among other things that make living today more expensive.

In the distant future when the Baby Boomers start passing on, one has to look around Palm Beach County and other areas where this is common, and ask...who will driving the economy when the average household has tons of debt and suffered damage that has set them back a generation.

Of course not all of this applies to everyone, but if it does then you know who you are...
Exactly and this applies to us as we are in our mid 40's and once the last generation passes on its true who will be driving the economy and this is what we think of as we get older...We were fortunate to have a good life in Boca, however no one knows what the future will hold and for alot of them in My generation have lost quite a bit whether it be savings and or retirement or homes etc, so who knows what the make up of South Florida will be...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
and what do we do? Ive lived in 6 different states and have had all kinds of experiences in each of them...There is nothing sad with people telling the Truth what is sad is when someone goes into a relocation with rose colored glasses because not everyone see's what the next person does, and if ANYONE tells me there are NO negatives for South Florida then your wrong...
Swim don't bother, wired had a short circuit and is all bent out shape since being told that Office Depot HQ is not in Downtown Boca.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx 1138 View Post
swim don't bother, wired had a short circuit and is all bent out shape since being told that office depot is not in downtown boca.
lmao

Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly and this applies to us as we are in our mid 40's and once the last generation passes on its true who will be driving the economy and this is what we think of as we get older...We were fortunate to have a good life in Boca, however no one knows what the future will hold and for alot of them in My generation have lost quite a bit whether it be savings and or retirement or homes etc, so who knows what the make up of South Florida will be...
With all the Foreign Investment, only time will tell. Surely all these gated communities some 55+ Active Adult will not be filled with people who were originally from the Northeast...more like the Far East.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM

What's funny is you folks are clueless. Actually its more pathetic, as is your so called play on words of my name, pathetic. It might hurt if it made sense, but it doesn't make sense, or hurt. At least I'm not cosplaying as George Lucas. Don't understand what I'm talking about? The problem is yours not mine.

And office depot is in downtown Boca. Not my fault you don't understand downtown in Florida has a different meaning from whatever place spawned you. How long you've lived here, supposedly, you should know this. That you don't, is pathetic.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
What's funny is you folks are clueless. Actually its more pathetic, as is your so called play on words of my name, pathetic. It might hurt if it made sense, but it doesn't make sense, or hurt. At least I'm not cosplaying as George Lucas. Don't understand what I'm talking about? The problem is yours not mine.

And office depot is in downtown Boca. Not my fault you don't understand downtown in Florida has a different meaning from whatever place spawned you. How long you've lived here, supposedly, you should know this. That you don't, is pathetic.
I lived across the street from the Office Depot HQ so your wrong buddy 33496 Zip code and that is NOT downtown Boca..Lived in Boca for 3 years..and Supposedly I did live there as my children went to school there and a friend of mine works for them and guess what we would go to LUNCH and where would I meet her? HQ of Office Depot on Military across the street from my complex...YOU should know this...

Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Umm yeah. Zip codes only have meaning to the post office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach