Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM

238 posts, read 576,253 times

Advertisements

How is downtown West Palm Beach these days? Is it a lively and vibrant 24 hour area with lots to do?
Is there new development going on there (residential, eating places, bars, concerts, shopping,stores, etc)...

I live in New York (manhattan)...and my dad lives in deerfield beach...it's a nice community and near pompano and boca but there's not vibrant downtown area nearby (ft lauderdale is about 18 miles away)...

I was considering relocating, but without a vibrant downtown, i might get too homesick for new york...now i realize i am not going to find a manhattan in florida but at least if i could be near a fun and lively downtown, that is nice to walk around and lots to do, it would probably suffice...I'd need a change from the normal "suburban" environment every so often...

So how is downtown west palm these days? and are there nice areas not live nearby it?

I had also considered Tampa but never been to that area...i thought downtown Tampa was supposed to be pretty lively but was told in the Tampa forums that so far it still hasn't really developed that well toward becoming a good 24 hr destination...Is downtown West Palm a lot better?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
No it's not Manhattan, Downtown WPB is vibrant on Clematis and City Place in terms of clubs, bars, restaurants and shops. It's walk-able but you won't be walking from Clematis to City Place unless you like to walk and there is nothing in between but dimly lit city streets. There are areas to avoid but most of it I feel safe in, after business hours the downtown is quite sleepy off of the main drag. Tampa is bigger, but you can go to Miami and Miami Beach if you want even more nightlife and culture.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Is downtown Fort Lauderdale a lot better then downtown West palm then?
Well as far as Miami, i know it's lively....but not my cup of tea these days...maybe 30 years ago...but not today...I don't speak spanish

Actually, i thought Tampa's downtown was supposed to have gotten pretty good over the last 10 years or so but some in those forums seem to feel otherwise...

Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
How is downtown West Palm Beach these days? Is it a lively and vibrant 24 hour area with lots to do?
Is there new development going on there (residential, eating places, bars, concerts, shopping,stores, etc)...

I live in New York (manhattan)...and my dad lives in deerfield beach...it's a nice community and near pompano and boca but there's not vibrant downtown area nearby (ft lauderdale is about 18 miles away)...

I was considering relocating, but without a vibrant downtown, i might get too homesick for new york...now i realize i am not going to find a manhattan in florida but at least if i could be near a fun and lively downtown, that is nice to walk around and lots to do, it would probably suffice...I'd need a change from the normal "suburban" environment every so often...

So how is downtown west palm these days? and are there nice areas not live nearby it?

I had also considered Tampa but never been to that area...i thought downtown Tampa was supposed to be pretty lively but was told in the Tampa forums that so far it still hasn't really developed that well toward becoming a good 24 hr destination...Is downtown West Palm a lot better?

Thanks

The two most walkable environments in PBC are downtown WPB, and downtown Delray Beach.

Downtown West Palm is on the upswing for sure. Lots of things going on, it's worth it to check out for a weekend. I know a few people who live downtown and only have to drive on rare occasions. I lived there a few years back. Sometimes I feel like going back for the maintenance free lifestyle of condo living.

Do not expect it to be anything close to Manhattan. It isn't that, and will never be that. Fort Lauderdale is a better option id you want that.

Delray is pretty much gentrified at this point. A smaller feel, it still has a lot going on.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
I've spent a fair amount of time visiting the Tampa-Sarasota area and now live in Delray. Overall to me, the WPB to Miami coast feels like there is much more going on than the west side. While there certainly isn't a shortage of retirees here the overall vibe just feels a little younger. Here, if you get bored there more places to choose from that have more of a vibrant downtown - WPB, Delray, Los Olas in FLL or if one gets very daring - Miami. In Tampa there is well Tampa with a little dose of St. Armands Key in Sarasota. I live within walking distance to downtown Delray. Definitely more of a beach village Old Florida type feel rather than city'ish but there is a lot going on. Unfortunately I spend way too much time in my home office but when I do get out there is a lot to choose from - great restaurants, art/cooking classes galore, gym, professional tennis and a lot of local artists setting up shop (not to mention THE BEACH). Everything is right here, could definitely get by with just a bicycle if I wasn't well, as lazy as I am. The downtown is always pretty active, even in the summer. Downtown WPB is great as well and feels more city'ish to me- but of course nothing like Manhattan - and the homes in the historic districts of WPB and new condos are fantastic. We were really torn between Delray and WPB when we bought our place a few years ago - deciding factor for us was my husband's office was in Boca. Good luck

Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Appreciate the feedback from all three of you
Yes, i do get the impression that would probably enjoy being near downtown West Palm Beach as opposed to say, downtown Tampa...Since my dad lives down in Deerfield Beach and i have visited the area over many years, i know the southeast part of florida well (as opposed to the gulf side)...

I did visit downtown West Palm Beach a few years ago and it looked really cute, and seemed to have a lot going for it...like the 18 plex movies, comedy club, Kravitz Center, Playhouse near it too and open band shell that has free live music concerts, city place shopping, supermarket (publix)...places to eat, bars on Clematis, cute little free trolley you can take around the downtown, etc...

And i believe there is expansion on the waterfront area with new parks and other entertainment and amenities coming in if i am not mistaken?
Also a brand new and rather huge library too...

While no manhattan of course, seemed like a fun, interesting and walkable area with lots of things going on...It's newer then downtown Fort Lauderdale and seemed to have a nicer "flavor" somehow (lol)...

Perhaps that would be the best area for me overall...I like Deerfield but there's no downtown WPB nearby! (lol)

Any other thoughts or feedback would be welcome...Delray sounds very nice too...but even if i picked West Palm i could always drop down to your area too...a lot closer to WPB then Ft. Lauderdale is...
I hear Palm Beach Gardens is a nice area also and the Palm Beach Mall is being completely re-done...

Sure sounds like lots of new development in the area....really nothing much new coming in where my dad is (deerfield beach and pompano right below it)...

Last edited by craig10x; 09-17-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
there is a lot of expansion happening on the waterfront, major condo and shopping project planned on flagler drive. a lot of people are sqauwking that it will make flagler drive overdeveloped but from what i have seen the plans look amazing and will draw even more activity and business downtown. makes me want to sell my still major work in progress 1920s relic amd trade up for sleek new condo w waterfront view. and totally agree on the "flavor" of wpb vs. fort lauderdale. hard to describe exactly but it has a good mix of nice new architecture and historic FL, just feels like more of a city'ish community to me than fort lauderdale which has much more of a tourist feel.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x;
Any other thoughts or feedback would be welcome...Delray sounds very nice too...but even if i picked West Palm i could always drop down to your area too...a lot closer to WPB then Ft. Lauderdale is...
I hear Palm Beach Gardens is a nice area also and the Palm Beach Mall is being completely re-done...

Sure sounds like lots of new development in the area....really nothing much new coming in where my dad is (deerfield beach and pompano right below it)...
TONS of new development in the planning and approved stages:

1) New convention center hotel (FINALLY expected to break ground later this year).

2) Cityplace has been under construction all summer, with lots of new stores and a new gym and bowling alley complex coming.

3) A gourmet market thing: Eat-Scene coming to downtown West Palm Beach | Food - WPBF Home

4) The outlet mall on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd moving along at a fast pace.

5) All Aboard Florida train and train station to be built on Evernia and Quadrille

6) New Hotel on Gardenia and Dixie

7) New 55+ rental building on Evernia

Others:

WPB downtown development pipeline | walkablewpb

Old 09-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Sounds great! I will probably look at newer rental apartments in the areas near downtown WPB on my next visit...there always seems to be new apartment complexes popping up around the area...

My dad lives in Century Village (Deerfield) so i suppose i could also look at units in Century Village WPB....
Also, you mentioned new 55 plus apartments downtown (hmmm...i am 55 plus so i will have to check into that too)...

I guess that would be this (found an article about it:
http://www.kangarealty.com/blog/seni...st-palm-beach/

Although i am retired and on pension and social security, i may not qualify as there will be income restrictions...they are starting to build in the fall now of this year...not too much information yet...
I'l continue to follow it though...

As i mentioned, i like my dad's area but there isn't really any new development going on in that area like in your area, and also there's no nice vibrant downtown center close by either...

I have been carless for years since i moved into manhattan, so looks like i would have to get a car again (unfortunately) to get around efficiently...but if i have to have a car, i wanted to live in an area where i could get to most of the things i'd want to get to, without driving large distances...and that area of WPB sounds ideal for that purpose...

Last edited by craig10x; 09-18-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Sounds great! I will probably look at newer rental apartments in the areas near downtown WPB on my next visit...there always seems to be new apartment complexes popping up around the area...

My dad lives in Century Village (Deerfield) so i suppose i could also look at units in Century Village WPB....
Also, you mentioned new 55 plus apartments downtown (hmmm...i am 55 plus so i will have to check into that too)...

As i mentioned, i like my dad's area but there isn't really any new development going on in that area like in your area, and also there's no nice vibrant downtown center close by either...

I have been carless for years since i moved into manhattan, so looks like i would have to get a car again (unfortunately) to get around efficiently...but if i have to have a car, i wanted to live in an area where i could get to most of the things i'd want to get to, without driving large distances...and that area of WPB sounds ideal for that purpose...

Oh no, don't do Century Village! You'll need a car for sure then, since it's kinda far out west and away from downtown.

This is the community currently being built: Senior Housing Development to Start in West Palm Beach

It's supposed to be "affordable" too, with rents for 2 bedrooms being $825 (projected).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach