U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM

368 posts, read 881,751 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have a child who's having difficulty in public school simply because they can't sit still? My son has been officially diagnosed as not only with ADHD but SPD. He hates wearing clothes and doesn't understand gentle touching. He's extremely bright and doing extremely well academically in his gifted 1st grade class. But unfortunately, since he has to sit still for long periods of time in public school, he actually requires medication to do that (he constantly struggles with not getting out of his seat but his clinician said he was functioning better thinking and reasoning walking around rather than sitting still). I'm not happy with the med situation at all: yes, he is more focused, calm, even too calm sometimes during school when is medication is working and the teacher, who has seen him unmedicated in the past and sent notes home due to his unrestrained behavior, is able to work with him better now that he's medicated. But the medication has already started to lose its effectiveness and he "cycles" throughout the day so sometimes he can refocus, sometimes he can't (we're looking into this with the help of his pediatrician and a developmental psychologist). It still bothers me so that his natural personality and way of learning has to be suppressed with pharmaceuticals in order for him to conform to the public school environment. Maybe I'm fooling myself as DH says - this would be any school environment. Can't have kids wandering around the classroom, no matter how verbal and bright they may be.

Someone suggested a Montessori school as a possibility, one in West Palm. Any recommendations for that school? Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 27,575 times
Does he have an IEP - When my daughter was in school kids with adhd got a bouncy pillow to put on their chair and were allowed to chew gum etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM

355 posts, read 854,333 times
Are you familiar with how Montessori learning works? It's very tactile, peer mentoring, no desks, etc.

We switched to a Montessori school because my son liked to touch everything to figure out how it works, move around, up out of his desk and was a distraction in the public classroom. Montessori was a great for him to learn,, however if given too much freedom, he will do nothing the entire day. He's a lot better than he was (5th year now). But, there are still issues.

Due to the freedoms allowed in the classroom, Montessori may or may not be great for your son. Assignments are usually done in groups or at least pairs. He will be grouped with children older and/or younger than himself. (ages 6-9 are together grades 1-3). If he has issues with social boundaries and touching, it may not be right for him and/or the other children in the class.

A good Montessori school director will ask to meet you and your child and do an evaluation period to see if its a good fit for him and the school.

I am sure you have looked at his diet also. If not, you may want to keep a food diary. There is a possibility that there are certain foods that are triggers vs. medication cycling. I have a friend with a severe ADHD boy who is having "trouble getting his meds right". He eats Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, lunch and dinner (I'm not kidding). I can't help but think heck it could even be the milk and not the cereal.

I noticed that foods with red dye made my son very moody or bounce off the wall, so we avoid them. I don't wish to sound condescending, just something to consider if you haven't.

I wish you luck!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM

368 posts, read 881,751 times
Thanks for all of the replies! Yes, he has an IEP for being gifted but we're having a 504 meeting next week and possibly revise the IEP to include data on his ADHD/SPD.

The clinician did recommend buying him a seating disk to help him stay put in his seat so he could at least move back and forth and not feel so restrained. She also recommended a weighted blanket - we will get both of those this week and see how they work. If the seating disk works at home and keeps him in his seat for homework and meals, we may include that as part of his 504/IEP going forward.

I will think about Montessori. He is very tactile, must touch everything, "look but don't touch" is not in his vocabulary. He's also in constant movement so I heard Montessori might be good for that. Oddly, even though he is socially immature, he gravitates towards older kids. He doesn't mind playing with younger kids though but he does get frustrated easily when one of his friends doesn't "get" what he's trying to show them. He doesn't mind working in groups but he usually has to dominate them. He never likes to play according to someone else's rules or if someone else establishes rules, he manipulates them to suit his purposes. It's very difficult for him (and us) given that he is so intelligent verbally and academically, but socially, he's probably 2-3 years behind with his peers (still throwing tantrums and falling on the floor, highly frustrated, and refuses to wait for anything - everything must be NOW, NOW, NOW!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>