Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM

351 posts, read 663,653 times

Advertisements

I'm 66 years old and spent the last 10 years in the Phoenix hell hole burning up with the heat. So I moved to North West Arkansas where it so very pretty and bought a house. Now I’m sick all the time from the cold and I don’t care to drive in the snow and ice and I’m sure notmoving back to Phoenix so I thought about moving to Florida. I spent 6 years in the Pacific when I was younger and I love the weather. I would like to spend my last days close to the beach and not being cold all the time. I got a VA loan for my house and I’ve spent 4 months here so I need to sell my house and lose maybe $20K. I guess I can get another VA loan for another house but I’m only qualified to $150K. The bottom line is my life is worth more than my money. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 37,292 times
Dear Lostsoul,

I have been browsing this website and talking to people who live in Florida for a long while.
I think a lot of people on this board hate living in South Florida either because they can't find a job, they move move from NYC and expect the same pedestrian/vibrant environment and they find FL has nothing on NYC when it comes to pedestrian/ public transportation life; or they hate the humid weather. Many people also can't stand it that it is overrun with latinos and it has a latino culture. You will hear Spanish everywhere you go.
So. Florida is very humid, very hot. I think in order to live there, you need to like that type of weather. If you don't need a job or have a secure job, if you don't mind hearing Spanish all the time, and if you love the beach but don't mind having to drive there (and everywhere else for that matter) then I think Florida can be your heaven.
I have to also let you know that even though many people on this board seem to hate So.Florida, I personally know several people who live there (with families) and love it. But then again, they are either latino, or are married to one.
If you really want to be in South Florida, I think Naples, Sarasota and Ft. Myers are the best places for retirees. Not as much Spanish speaking or latino culture in those areas.
The rest of South Florida I believe is all of what I described, plus quite party oriented with some pockets of families here and there; it is also very busy with congested traffic.
You mention that you like the pacific. The weather In FL is totally different.
I love the pacific side of the U.S and if I could, that's where I would move. California and Hawaii have perfect weather (for my taste) year 'round. However, the living cost in those places are higher than average---makes sense---everyone wants to live there.

I hope this helps a little bit. I am in no way an expert on the subject, it's just the impression that I get after visiting and reading a lot on this board.
I hope you find your perfect place where your soul is happy

Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 PM

355 posts, read 908,967 times
Ajuli- you're opinion of North Palm Beach could not be more inaccurate regarding all the latinos and tattoos.

It is not pedestrian friendly, you have to drive or bike everywhere. There is little public transit. North Palm Beach is not cheap, nor is the Naples/Sarasota area.

OP should look at Port St Lucie or Stuart area for affordability near the beach. If you don't need to worry about finding a job, those areas should suit you well.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
North Palm Beach over run with Latinos and Latino culture.

:LoLz:

Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,878,456 times
OP: I agree with the suggestion to take a serious look at Port St Lucie and Stuart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach