U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am thinking about relocating to Florida from Pennsylvania sometime within the next 2 years. I am currently a Medical Assisting student at Lincoln Technical Institute and will be graduating in about 2 months with Dean's List and High Honors awards. I know the Lincoln Tech campus in West Palm Beach has an RN program which is ultimately what I want to do with my career. Does anyone know anything about this program or has anyone attended this campus? I've gotten some information from my school but I think they may be a bit biased and would like to hear from people who have either attended or know someone who has. I've also been looking at ITT Tech's Beckenridge School of Nursing, and the Academy for Nursing and Health Occupations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 PM

15,040 posts, read 18,317,103 times
Just as an FYI, many hospitals do not hire nurses without a bachelors degree from a accredited school. It is all part of certifications the hospitals earn, unfortunately some students don't know this and get a "degree" from a trade school/tech school and cannot work in a hospital setting.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 PM

717 posts, read 598,860 times
I read somewhere a few years ago that a lot of colleges wont accept those "Trade School" Credits. If you decide to do it make sure the colleges accepts the credits and read the reviews and make sure jobs are hiring people. If you can't get in the hospital maybe nursing homes will hire you, Also skip going for lpn since they are being phased out i know people who can't find jobs in that field at all.

I made a mistake last year going to this trade school for medical billing and coding the school jam and crammed so much junk in two months didn't learn a thing and they had all these credentials and no jobs recognizes it. Since this economy is in the toilet all these quickie schools are popping up like pimples on a teenagers face. And their "Advisers" will lie and talk you into going there.

Your best bet is going to College i know all the extra classes sucks but at least you can get your bsn and its accreted.

Last edited by banksock; 02-22-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 38,061 times
I am a RN working in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

I got my 2 year degree from Palm Beach State and had NO problem whatsoever getting hired right out of school (and into a specialty unit no less- emergency dept!). I then took my time over the next couple of years to do my BSN online (many schools offer it).

Due to the large influx of retires here, the health care field is booming. But you may find housing prices to be beyond your reach entirely. I am in a dual income household where we both have great jobs, and we can barely keep our heads above water. The cost of living down here is not at all commensurate with the salaries. We still can't afford to buy a house after renting for 4 years now!

Also, I don't know how familiar you are with the weather here, but it has been in the 90s here all week already (muggy and humid) and it's only the first week of May! Unless you can go to the beach all day every day, the endless summer definitely gets old, and if you are like me you will miss the hell out of the seasons!

PM me if you would like more nursing school info. I am a preceptor and instructor for my hospital now, so pretty knowledgeable about the local job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach