U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,898 times

Advertisements

Hello, me and my family (DH and 2 kids ages 5 and 7) will be relocating to Boca in the Summer. We are thinking of renting the first year, probably in an apartment community before settling on buying a house. We will be sending our kids to public school, and I recently visited Calusa Elementary on a recent trip to FL and really like that school zone, (Calusa, Omni and Spanish River).

The thing is, it seems to us that most of the homes for sale in this are are located in Country Clubs. We visited Woodfield and although it looks lovely and we would be thrilled to live there, the fees are so astronomical we're not sure we could afford it. We will be looking for homes in the 500-600 range. Are there some other gated communities in that area that wouldn't send us into bankruptcy?

If so, which ones? What are the fees associated with living in a gated community with a club that is not a country club? Such as Boca Bath and Tennis? Or any other gated communities with tennis and a pool? Does one pay anything other than HOA fees? How much?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,200,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asfernandes View Post
Hello, me and my family (DH and 2 kids ages 5 and 7) will be relocating to Boca in the Summer. We are thinking of renting the first year, probably in an apartment community before settling on buying a house. We will be sending our kids to public school, and I recently visited Calusa Elementary on a recent trip to FL and really like that school zone, (Calusa, Omni and Spanish River).

My son went to River we were happy with the school, my daughter attended Omni and we were also happy with this school as well..

The thing is, it seems to us that most of the homes for sale in this are are located in Country Clubs. We visited Woodfield and although it looks lovely and we would be thrilled to live there, the fees are so astronomical we're not sure we could afford it. We will be looking for homes in the 500-600 range. Are there some other gated communities in that area that wouldn't send us into bankruptcy?

If so, which ones? What are the fees associated with living in a gated community with a club that is not a country club? Such as Boca Bath and Tennis? Or any other gated communities with tennis and a pool? Does one pay anything other than HOA fees? How much?
The problem is most of the Gated Communities in this school district are in Country Clubs with outrageous fees...Santa Barbara is beautiful its on Jog Rd and Glades they attend Omni and Spanish River I think Calusa as they did when we lived in that area it is Gated and should be in your price range...One place I can tell you NOT to rent is Gables At Broken Sound that is an apt complex...you can PM regarding it if you were going to look...You will find more Non-Gated communities in that district than gated that do not have crazy HOA fees attached to it....Estansia South and I think there is a West, not a country club beautiful development and gated there is an entrance on Jog past Glades before palmetto Rd that I believe is South and then another entrance off of Glades that is West.However they do not attend Calusa....but they do attend Omni and Spanish River

Seasons is a bit older but its gated and not a country club and they attend all the schools above...I will see if I can think of any others, however you can go to bocaexecutiverealty.com they have a list of Communities for 33496 which is the zip code that attends Calusa, Omni and River.....33434 part of it attends Calusa, Omni and River...I hope this helps a little

Good Luck

Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 61,031 times
asfernandes,

I currently live in the spanish river, omni, calusa school district. I love central boca raton. There are not a whole lot of gated communities in that district. However, here are a few:

Woodfield Hunt Club (maybe a little high depending on the size)
Casabella (this community was built in 2005 and is a great community, but it is in Delray but zoned for those schools)

I know Swimmom mentioned Seasons, but Seasons will be probably too high. Its a great community however. I currently live in New Floresta and I love it. It is however is not gated. If you want any help message me with any questions. Good luck.

David Serle

Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Love new floresta...

Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Swimmom, thank you. We have been in New Floresta for 6 years and absolutely love it. I grew up in Millpond so I love central Boca

Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Millpond another one that I think is great for families

People think gated is safer that is not always the case...my other favorite is Colonnade

Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,898 times
I only mentioned gated because I thought that was the norm in Boca. I am glad to hear of other communities that are not necessarily gated. Someone had told me that because Boca had been divided into many separate communities, it's a great place for knowing your neighbors, would you say that is the case with the non gated communities? How do the non gated/non club communities get together? Are there community events too? Neighborhood parties? I come from a New England community where I only really know my neighbors who are right next door to me, it would be lovely to get a place with a bigger sense of community.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM

The country clubs have social memberships, most non gated communities do not unless they have like a social committee and clubhouse etc....as far as friendly neighbors it will depend on what community your in....its not very friendly in general, we made some great friends through our kids as they swam competitively for 3.5 years..you can always join a beach club as well if your budget allows

Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 AM

asfernandes,

I live in New Floresta and we have lots of social events. block parties and such. New Floresta is just like you mention as well as Millpond. If you want some information I am very familiar with those communities. you can message me.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asfernandes View Post

6718 Newport Lake Cir, Boca Raton, FL 33496 | MLS #F1375813 | Zillow

The link above is for 6718 Newport Lake Circle.

4000+ sq ft. 4 bed/3.5 bath. 0.43 acre lot on canal with large fenced in side yard and pool. Built in 1990 with open floor plan and large master suite separated from the rest of the house.

24 HR manned guard gate. Non equity, tennis club community. Centrally located off jog road in between Clint Moore and Atlantic Blvd. great investment opp as well for the right person!!!

HUGE potential as a fixer upper. Offered at 699k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>