Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,562 times

Advertisements

Any one familiar with that area, is is zoned residential, or agricultural, are you allowed to filed an agricultural exception on your taxes there if you have horses on your land? is it incorporated or unincorporated, are guest houses allowed to be built there? what is the area like, do you live there?

Between the estates and Jupiter farms which one would you choose?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboxxl View Post
Any one familiar with that area, is is zoned residential, or agricultural, are you allowed to filed an agricultural exception on your taxes there if you have horses on your land? is it incorporated or unincorporated, are guest houses allowed to be built there? what is the area like, do you live there?

Between the estates and Jupiter farms which one would you choose?

Thanks
1. Horses alone doesn't get you the exemption (it has to be income producing, like cows/goats)
2. Unincorporated
3. Guest houses are ok
4. No, looked out there and the dirt roads were a deal breaker
5. Estates tends to be nicer, they also have city water (recent improvement). Farms is going to be cheaper on average. Estates is one way in, one way out. Farms lets you get out east or west off Indiantown.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Ok thanks, also i talked to palm beach county tax collectors about the agricultural exception, does anyone know how this works. They mentioned it must be a revenue generating agricultural function, and suggested maybe raising goats. Which sounds good to me because i wanted to do that already, but does it have to be a business or can i just raise goats and sell them at the farmers market or something like that?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks, also i talked to palm beach county tax collectors about the agricultural exception, does anyone know how this works. They mentioned it must be a revenue generating agricultural function, and suggested maybe raising goats. Which sounds good to me because i wanted to do that already, but does it have to be a business or can i just raise goats and sell them at the farmers market or something like that?

It comes down to how many acres, the county requirements and then the options you are willing to consider. The exemption is really only worth it if you have expensive land. One plot I can think of had a herd of cattle on it (great, now it is agricultural). The farmer then sold the land for 25mm to a developer and they build a golf course community on the land. This was a good score for the farmer but if you have 1-2 acres the savings on taxes will never be worth the headache of obtaining/maintaining the exemption.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It comes down to how many acres, the county requirements and then the options you are willing to consider. The exemption is really only worth it if you have expensive land. One plot I can think of had a herd of cattle on it (great, now it is agricultural). The farmer then sold the land for 25mm to a developer and they build a golf course community on the land. This was a good score for the farmer but if you have 1-2 acres the savings on taxes will never be worth the headache of obtaining/maintaining the exemption.
Well if all i need to do is get a cow i don't see why it would be a headache, i get the exception and once the cow is a good size kill it and i have steaks for a year, then get another cow, or similar process with some goats. Just wondering if anyone on here actually has it. O and my tax bill will be about 4-5k per year for a little over an acre with a house, so yea i think it would be worth it.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Well if all i need to do is get a cow i don't see why it would be a headache, i get the exception and once the cow is a good size kill it and i have steaks for a year, then get another cow, or similar process with some goats. Just wondering if anyone on here actually has it. O and my tax bill will be about 4-5k per year for a little over an acre with a house, so yea i think it would be worth it.
I just looked at a friends tax bill out there online.....paid 220K for the house, no homestead and the taxes are $5400 of which almost 2k was non ad valorem (probably related to the new city water project out there).
So once again it isn't going to save you anything for the headache of having a cow on the property. It is also so many cows/goats/chickens per acre and they only exempt part of the land (idea works best on big tracts of land, 1 acre for the house and 14+ acres of farmland vs. 15 acres of house type assessment). There were some folks in Boca doing that on west Clint Moore Road since the land was so expensive it saved them thousands a year......An acre in Jupiter Farms/PBCE won't cut it.

I would be stunned if you saved $1000 per year and the cost of the animal(s) would easily exceed that if you include the purchase price, feeding and vet care.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I just looked at a friends tax bill out there online.....paid 220K for the house, no homestead and the taxes are $5400 of which almost 2k was non ad valorem (probably related to the new city water project out there).
So once again it isn't going to save you anything for the headache of having a cow on the property. It is also so many cows/goats/chickens per acre and they only exempt part of the land (idea works best on big tracts of land, 1 acre for the house and 14+ acres of farmland vs. 15 acres of house type assessment). There were some folks in Boca doing that on west Clint Moore Road since the land was so expensive it saved them thousands a year......An acre in Jupiter Farms/PBCE won't cut it.

I would be stunned if you saved $1000 per year and the cost of the animal(s) would easily exceed that if you include the purchase price, feeding and vet care.
yea when are those stupid non ad valorem taxes going away? As far as vet bill, i wont have any its called the knife or the bullet. These wont be pets they will be there to feed me and my family.Its cheaper to just get a new goat $100 than to pay the vet, as far as feed there is enough land there to feed a few goats. The main issue with the goats its parasites, but the meds for that are easy to get at the feed store or other country store, if not in palm beach cause to many yuppies/ animal rights activist made it impossible to get, then at the feed stores at okeechobee. I mean i know i wont save alot, i am not just doing it to save money i do want to grow some of my own food, be it animals or plants simply because then i know whats in it, sure i could buy organic at the store but have you shopped at Whole Paycheck lately. I am looking at a tax bill of 4k plus 1k in non add valorem taxes, i am hoping to claim everything except for where the house is built on as agri due to it being pasture land. Someone on here has to live out there with an exemption, plenty of people out there have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach