Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM

72 posts, read 123,503 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to South Florida from Montgomery, Alabama in a few weeks. I'll be living in Boca Del Mar and working in downtown Fort Lauderdale. I really like Boca and the area near my new neighborhood.

Is there any advice on living in Boca that any of you could share? Good or bad? (I will be in somewhat of a minority because I'm a native Alabamian, a Crimson Tide fan, a Methodist, and a lover of sweet iced tea!). I'm in my late thirties and single which is rare for someone from the South. Are there plenty of single professionals in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM

536 posts, read 845,540 times
Do you play golf or tennis? That might be a good way to meet people your age. There is a good YMCA off Toledo, if I recall rightly and that might be another way to meet people. There are a few clubs in Boca del Mar as well. It was mostly young renters and elderly owners in that neighborhood when I lived there. Very much a mixture. That may not still be true. I was there in the late 1980s, centuries ago in Boca time. Yet communities do have characteristics that tend to carry over.

I rented in Boca Del Mar for 5 years; just be careful in that people there have often just moved to Fl and some are reinventing themselves. Esp. if you are dating, don't be too trusting. I met a lot of "doctors" at parties who turned out to be bartenders. They were charming anyhow, and good bartenders, too. Just don't take things at face value. I find that Boca is a kind of zone of illusion.

I lived in a subsidized mid-income rental (very nice) where people had Porsches in the parking lot. A lot of scamming in Boca. I have lived here since 1985. I do like it here, but it's weird sometimes. My neighbors in East Boca are just as odd. jmo--

There are jobs in S Florida and that's a great reason to move somewhere; I hope you love it here. If you work in FLL, you may find you want to move there eventually.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 PM

I play tennis; not as big of a golfer. I like to fish.

I will be in an apartment complex that has really good reviews and is on a dead end street which should make it really quiet.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1998 View Post
Is there any advice on living in Boca that any of you could share? Good or bad? (I will be in somewhat of a minority because I'm a native Alabamian, a Crimson Tide fan, a Methodist, and a lover of sweet iced tea!).
Great UMC with two campuses. First United Methodist Church Boca Raton | Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World

If you are here in time for Easter, they have a big outdoor service at Mizner Park Amphitheater.

Easter in the Park XII | First United Methodist Church Boca Raton

Sweet Tea at Mississippi Sweet's BBQ. MISSISSIPPI SWEETS BBQ COMPANY * - Home SWEET Home

Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Great UMC with two campuses. First United Methodist Church Boca Raton | Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World

If you are here in time for Easter, they have a big outdoor service at Mizner Park Amphitheater.

Easter in the Park XII | First United Methodist Church Boca Raton

Sweet Tea at Mississippi Sweet's BBQ. MISSISSIPPI SWEETS BBQ COMPANY * - Home SWEET Home
Excellent! Thank you for the information. I will definitely check out First Methodist and Mississippi Sweet's. I actually graduated high school in Meridian, MS.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM

9 posts, read 16,168 times
I am from Huntsville, Alabama and have been living in the Boca Raton area for a few years now. I am very comfortable here. People here are friendly and nice. Most restaurants don't have sweet tea but I adjusted.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

51 posts, read 184,906 times
Boca has an eclectic demographic made up of college students, working professionals, retirees and people that were sick of living in NY (Boca is often referred to as the six borough of NYC).

A quick look on Match will reveal a bevy of single woman in and around Boca.

Look to Delray Beach for your entertainment needs, the ages of the revelers will be closer to your age group.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAptFinder View Post
Boca has an eclectic demographic made up of college students, working professionals, retirees and people that were sick of living in NY (Boca is often referred to as the six borough of NYC).

A quick look on Match will reveal a bevy of single woman in and around Boca.

Look to Delray Beach for your entertainment needs, the ages of the revelers will be closer to your age group.
Thank you. I'm certain that I'm going to love Boca. And almost everybody who I've met comments about how they love my southern accent, so that nearly always makes for a great conversation starter.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Colson View Post
I am from Huntsville, Alabama and have been living in the Boca Raton area for a few years now. I am very comfortable here. People here are friendly and nice. Most restaurants don't have sweet tea but I adjusted.
Glad to hear of a fellow Alabamian in South Florida.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
You'll do just fine in Boca, tho u will not find much "southerness" about it.

Pretty nice, decent area you'll be living as well.
You mentioned that you're in your late 30s and single?
If you're straight try going out to Blue Martini
If you're gay u can always go to Wilton Manors in ft Lauderdale.

Boca is nice tho, you'll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach