U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 PM

229 posts, read 478,744 times

Advertisements

"In 2013, Palm Beach County’s murder rate per 100,000 population was more than 19 times the murder rate in New York City!"
Rate this post positively

Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,576,272 times
See for yourself:

Maps with all areas of Palm Beach County rated by quality of life/crime/walkability - Neighborhood-O-Meter Map & Other 2

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,902,250 times
It's not that bad in my opinion, but I moved here from St. Louis, MO which is very thug/ghetto.

You just have to avoid the hot spots for crime and be streetwise.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM

302 posts, read 460,730 times
The neighborhood I am in used to be very safe. In the last few years, crime has escalated so much, that we are planning on moving. Either to Central Florida or out of Florida totally. I am in West Palm Beach. I used to live in both Central Missouri and Eastern Missouri. Loved that Central Missouri area a bunch, but can't go back.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,706,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I've lived in Broward for 6 years. I rent and have managed to find a relatively cheap place in a safe area. I would think Palm Beach county is less dangerous than Broward and Miami Dade is the most dangerous of all 3.
Your assumption is correct.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,706,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
"In 2013, Palm Beach County’s murder rate per 100,000 population was more than 19 times the murder rate in New York City!"
Way to take things out of context. For one, New York City is crawling with police - there was a time when the city was very dangerous. Palm Beach County is huge and a lot of crime happens in places like Pahokee, Belle Glade etc. For some of these places there is not that much police to cover everything. There are also pockets like Riviera Beach where crime used to be in the 1000s (natl avg 300) - now it is almost 1/2 of that but still not a great place. Lake Worth is one of those places too with crime index almost 700, Belle Glade is > 700 etc. So, the conclusion is: pockets of crime to avoid, there are plenty of places that are nice. For example, Jupiter is 1/2 the natl. crime average.

New York city is basically a police state - you are tracked everywhere with sophisticated technology, your chances of getting abused or worse by the police is high. Thank you but no thanks. I like a place where I have some rights left.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 PM

956 posts, read 726,743 times
bummer looks like these links expired?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM

229 posts, read 478,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Way to take things out of context. For one, New York City is crawling with police - there was a time when the city was very dangerous. Palm Beach County is huge and a lot of crime happens in places like Pahokee, Belle Glade etc. For some of these places there is not that much police to cover everything. There are also pockets like Riviera Beach where crime used to be in the 1000s (natl avg 300) - now it is almost 1/2 of that but still not a great place. Lake Worth is one of those places too with crime index almost 700, Belle Glade is > 700 etc. So, the conclusion is: pockets of crime to avoid, there are plenty of places that are nice. For example, Jupiter is 1/2 the natl. crime average.

New York city is basically a police state - you are tracked everywhere with sophisticated technology, your chances of getting abused or worse by the police is high. Thank you but no thanks. I like a place where I have some rights left.
Doesn't change the direct stats. Stop trying to take things out of context.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,561 times
South Florida, in general, is not unsafe.

To understand South Florida, you have to think of it like this: everyone used to live in Miami. Miami used to be THE city to be in, if you were to go to Florida.
That was until the cartels came in. With the cartels came the crime rates, and the immigrants. All of the decent people in Miami, moved to Fort Lauderdale, to get away from it. Over time, the population in these areas grew, and they had to disperse - so those people kept moving north, to places like Boca, then West Palm, then Jupiter, then Tequesta, and so on. The further north you were, the better off you were.

Even today, Miami is built on drug money. All of the buildings, developments, nightlife, and all of those expensive Miami resorts, is all cocaine money. Yes, all of it. Floridians, to this day, avoid Miami.

While this was going on, all of the rich people were already in Palm Beach and Singer Island. Palm Beach was old money (look up Henry Flagler and the Breakers), while Singer Island (as in, the Singer Sewing Machine family) was new money. So that area, I think, is an exception to this. They were already pretty much established as good areas, at least over 100 years.

GRANTED - it is not uncommon in Florida, to be in an excellent area, but be a stone's throw from a bad area. Take Palm Beach Gardens, for example. It's a fantastic area to live in. Low crime, lots of shopping, decent economy and lots of great neighborhoods. But there are some parts of PBG that are very close to Riviera Beach - which is a straight -up sh*thole. But, people in Riviera don't go to Gardens, and Gardens people don't go to Riviera. So it all works.

Last edited by mlerner1130; 11-08-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM

536 posts, read 742,579 times
My sense is that property crime, where I live in Palm Beach County, is very high. Burglary is encouraged by the high number of part-time residents in Boca, where I live.

White collar crime is also high down here. Traffic accidents caused by recklessness, high--and it shows in the insurance premiums.

Violent crime rates are almost certainly much lower in Boca Raton than in the cities of the Northeast. Drug related crime seems to be high everywhere these days.

I do my research on areas and neighborhoods on the Trulia site because it publishes the crime rate in the surroundings of most of the houses it lists. That offers a quick snapshot, at least, of the type of crime that occurs in a given area.

Edited to add: I once lived in a gated rental--hated it. If you live here at all, don't lock yourself away. The neighbors in my rental complex were a lot sketchier and weirder than the residents of the non-gated places that I have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach