U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 AM

232 posts, read 718,502 times

Advertisements

I have not experienced any crime related issues in my 12 years of living in FL. I have lived in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, PBG and Jupiter
Rate this post positively

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 AM

2,973 posts, read 2,873,402 times
I can t say enough that it's the sociopathic old bags I worry about. The ones that peer over your fence and look into your windows, or ride slowly past your house.....hmmmm......

Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM

25 posts, read 34,785 times
Default No problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHawkeye View Post
I have not experienced any crime related issues in my 12 years of living in FL. I have lived in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, PBG and Jupiter
+1
Same applies to my 3 years life in Royal Palm Beach, Boca Raton and Boynton Beach. I feel absolutely safe in my home and during my long bike rides all over the area.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:30 PM

406 posts, read 425,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Crime is generally underreported and it is worse than we know. The reason it is worse is due to drugs. Florida has a serious drug problem. Drugs make people do really stupid things, like doing serious crime for either little gain or no gain. Professional criminals seldom pose a threat to most folks, the druggies are unpredictable and follow no logical path as are the crazy mentally challenged among the citizenry.
This is so true. The drunk next door to us has now found a way to kill himself quicker. His new roommate is a meth addict and dealer. So, now the drunk has added meth to his habits and everyone in the neighborhood has noticed his personality has changed...not for the better and it wasn't very good to begin with. His roommate is psycho. He yells for days on and off all day long. Then he gets quiet for a period of time. There seems to be a cycle. A neighbor who goes for a walk every morning around six told us that the psycho is out in his side yard with a gun on his waist with a line of people buying drugs from him. He growled at the neighbor and told him not to walk on his side of the street. So, the neighbor walks on the opposite side of street and psycho laughs at him when we goes by. The police do nothing, or at least they haven't so far. There's so much more to this story about the things psycho has done, but suffice it to say his behavior is outrageous, crazy and illegal. We've heard from a retired police officer and a friend of a police officer who works narcotics that psycho is violent and extremely dangerous. Anyway, we've only lived in Florida for 16 months and we're noticing a huge problem with drug-related crime.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 AM

2,973 posts, read 2,873,402 times
I will also add that part of the reason Delray was able to make "progress" was that so much of the crime was hushed up. I'm not talking about recently; I don't keep up now. If people really knew what was happening it could have scared people off and slowed the redevelopment.

Lake Worth has so much bad press and that is hurting the town. This has also set residents against each other: some believe the crime should be publicized so more action can be taken; others accuse those folks of wanting to "ruin the city" because bad press impedes development. I find it really uncomfortable to live here right now lol.

Years ago Delray had a serial killer named Duane Owen. There is also the unsolved murder of Jimmy Sheppard, which many feel was covered up by the police. There is more to that cover-up than just Omar Galvez the drug informant.

This stuff never really affected the ordinary citizens, of course. However, there was a really nasty redneck gang back in the day that the police just brushed off as "good ole boys". Most of the members were from one family. The police chief was the one guy's brother-in-law. I know this from experience as I was terrorized by these guys for years. The one person interested in these guys was Virginia Snyder. The police considered her a wack job. In some ways she was. Read her book "And Justice For All" for a good history of Delray and PBC's wicked past. There is also a section of the library(?) at FAU full of her research. She was a private detective.

In my 28 years in Delray I was robbed 4 times and worse. But this was a long time ago.

Back then the drug dealers were super-rich guys who lived on the Intracoastal . Google my old neighbors, the DeLisi family lol. And their coke-dealing lawyer down the street.

Those things never affected most people either.

One of my neighbors (in my present town) had been in prison for dealing drugs and was released before I moved here. My other neighbors wanted to run him out of the neighborhood and tried to enlist me to "spy" on him. When I wouldn't, the neighbors decided I must be involved with him and turned against me .

So, they threatened to "ruin my life" which they did to an extent. I don't even smoke pot (which these neighbors do), let alone deal drugs.

This is why I am not a huge fan of Lake Worth. As one fed-up deputy put it, "The place sucks. You can't tell the good from the bad." Yes, I would say that most LEOs here assume you are guilty of whatever it is your seemingly "nice" old law-abiding neighbors say.

If you're going to move somewhere, make sure your potential neighbors aren't single old women with nothing to do!

The small town area to which I was hoping to move (near the beautiful but possibly dangerous Ocala Forest) has quite a meth problem. There is also a gang problem (The Latin Kings-google those idiots) that is downplayed.

It's everywhere. I don't know what the solution is. You can see that Delray was never the "Mayberry" some people might want to remember.

It would be great to move to a town that has an established, static identity. But with developers beginning to buy up everything in Central Florida (which is a consideration for me), it's going to get even tougher.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-30-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,707,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Doesn't change the direct stats. Stop trying to take things out of context.
I am not taking them out of context, it is you who is doing that.

Anyways, OP: We lived in Loxahatchee (unincorporated PBC to the west) and everyone talked about drug raids, helicopters etc. We were there for 5 years, nothing ever happened. Got to know all my neighbors, working class people, very nice and quiet - knew everyone on the street and even people a few streets over.

We moved to a small town Texas with crime rate index of 240 (national average is 300+). Went for a walk a few months ago, parked our car on the side of a quiet, rural road as we always did and came back an hour later to find the glass broken and that someone had cleaned it out. So much for a quiet rural, below-average crime stat.

We used to take our horses riding to the Corbett Wildlife management area near Loxahatchee. We would park our expensive truck and trailer and ride off and never once had it broken into - we did this for 4 years almost daily. Anyways, stats/shmats - open your eyes, do your research and visit the place before you rent/buy/move etc.

The general counsel of a very wealthy financial company I worked for in PBC lived in one of those posh Wellington neighborhoods with gates, guards and walls. His wife was stay-at-home so was home generally. Guess what? Their house was cleaned out one day when she was out and about. Even with all the poshness, guards and security.

My $.02

Old 11-30-2014, 03:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,580,872 times
How about Jupiter Farms? Or will y'all fear me in my pickup truck, boots and horses? (sarc)

Old 11-30-2014, 04:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,707,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
How about Jupiter Farms? Or will y'all fear me in my pickup truck, boots and horses? (sarc)
Yeah - nice place, I concur - can't beat acreage + proximity to ocean.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,508,557 times
I have lived in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Coonut Creek, N. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Tamarac, and currently in Miami.... *knocks on wood. ..I have not experienced any crime in any of the cities in which I've lived.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,580,872 times
Thanks, Lordy, I am over the moon to be going there. Mom loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach