Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 23,331 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating to SOFL. I will be working in Boca Raton and want to find a good diverse neighborhood where the people are not snobby. I would like to have at least a half acre lot and am considering Greenacres, Wellington, and Loxahatchee. The reason I am thinking about Wellington is for the elementary school gets good rating and is really diverse and I could live in Loxahatchee and send the kids to this school. Also, Lox..chee seems to have good value.

Question 1 - Are there any areas closer to Boca where you can get bigger lots. If not, is the traffic going to be so bad I will hate the commute?

Question 2 - How is the racism is PBC and northen Broward county?

If anyone knows an existing thread that addresses these questions, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by montshaven; 12-30-2007 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,292,406 times
"Diverse" and Boca Raton and Wellington are not exactly terms you find in the same sentence.

Don't know much about Greenacres or Loxahatchee....

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,224,888 times
Loxahatchee = mostly redneck (Florida cracker), lots of land, far out west
Greenacres = mostly Hispanic, but not a good area to live in. High crime, gang issues, strange people, etc.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 AM

440 posts, read 1,491,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Loxahatchee = mostly redneck (Florida cracker), lots of land, far out west
Greenacres = mostly Hispanic, but not a good area to live in. High crime, gang issues, strange people, etc.

I actually found many of the people in Loxahatchee to be quite friendly ... rednecky but friendly and Greenacres made me feel like I was in Santa Ana , California all Mexican , Guatelamalan and Salvadoran immigrants ... it was weird as I have not seen any Cubans or South Americans like you would one hour South ?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Thanks... How about the Lake Worth area and Boynton Beach. I think I have targeted Coral Springs and Coconut creek, but looking for areas that are safe with a little lower housing prices.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,796,070 times
To answer OPs questions
1.Yes, in Parkland, for a boatload of cash. Other than that, Loxhatchee and Davie are pretty much your only land options within a half an hour.
2. Racism- PBC- It's not really "visible", but theres a de facto segregation thing going on. Class is more important than race, but race exists.

Broward- Very little. It exists in little bits and pieces like anywhere else. That being said, there was recently a hate crime incident in Coral Springs (a very diverse AND safe area). In general, however, the race thing doesn't even matter.

Try Coral Springs (despite mentioned incident). It's the best your going to do for the money with an easy commute. Consistently one of the top 25 safest cities in the U.S, very mixed population and evenly spread through the mostly middle class community (whites from all sorts of backgrounds, blacks from West Indies and African Americans, growing Asian Indian and Chinese population, and a mostly South American Hispanic community). Fairly affordable compared to surrounding cities, and also statistically (for what it's worth) safer than any Palm Beach County city. Elementary schools are good, but it sinks from there. It's actually more diverse than it's sketchier neighbor- Pompano Beach. You might be able to find homes with larger lots in some parts of the city. Parkland is also next door but it's about as snobby and homogeneous as Boca, so you might as well go one up (to Boca) unless you really need land and a short commute.

Don't do Lake Worth. Very dangerous city, lots of illegal immigrants. Same thing with east Boynton Beach. West Boynton is nice, but it has lots of property crime (since it borders on the east Boynton neighborhoods) and it's basically just like a built-yesterday version of Boca.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks "compelled to reply", sounds like you know the area pretty well.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,232,033 times
See. And I would think Coconut Creek was safe as long as you are in "North" Creek. They really are divided...north and south Creek in my opinion.
North Creek is better. I've never felt unsafe.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,224,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
T

Don't do Lake Worth. Very dangerous city, lots of illegal immigrants. Same thing with east Boynton Beach. West Boynton is nice, but it has lots of property crime (since it borders on the east Boynton neighborhoods) and it's basically just like a built-yesterday version of Boca.
What do you mean by that... East Boynton is generally considered east of the highway, that's very far from West Boynton. Are you just referring to middle city Boynton Beach, which is suburban looking but is home to lots of crime itself?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,796,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
What do you mean by that... East Boynton is generally considered east of the highway, that's very far from West Boynton. Are you just referring to middle city Boynton Beach, which is suburban looking but is home to lots of crime itself?
Yes, that's what I meant. Seems like a lot of burglars must live there and go west of Jog at night. Where else would they be coming from? It's equally distributing the wealth .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach