Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM

265 posts, read 534,922 times

Advertisements

Received a job offer and a second interview in Lake Worth and West Palm Beach. Coming from Philadelphia where I have lived car-free. Can you get by reasonably comfortable in West Palm or the surrounding areas without a car-using transit or biking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM

293 posts, read 500,189 times
There is not great public transportation here. So unless you live really close to where you work it is not practical. It would be easier if you were working in Downtown WPB or Lake Worth and lived close to work, then it is possible but still not easy if you want to venture outside the area of work/residence

Old 11-01-2014, 02:14 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Yea its not very doable at the moment unless you live close to the bus or tri rail stop but I heard they are trying to make some changes to the system. You could always do the carsharing thing and just use the app and pay for service.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 AM

96 posts, read 188,284 times
You can do it. My son knows a family who gets around on bikes only somewhere in the area. You need to be strategic about it and chose to live within walking distance of essentials like a supermarket. This is a link to the bus routes and schedule. Hope it helps. Palm Tran Maps and Schedules

Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
It can be done but with great difficulty.Will say one thing keep in mind coming from the north like you are add into this the fact that you will be standing outside waiting for this public transportation & walking outside. With the So. Fla. weather you will be miserable doing that. They get storms everyday...while short still will ruin your day when stuck on the heavy downpours waiting for a bus or train not to mention the walking. The intense heat & humidity used to it or not will takes its toll as well. Trust me even driving around in a car without A/C is a killer. I had to do that for 2 days in the middle of Jan...when I lived there which is the coolest time of year down there & was miserable and all sweaty.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Received a job offer and a second interview in Lake Worth and West Palm Beach. Coming from Philadelphia where I have lived car-free. Can you get by reasonably comfortable in West Palm or the surrounding areas without a car-using transit or biking?
I lived in Philly area for most of my life, and suffered WPB for three. I got around on a bicycle, but it sure wasn't easy or pleasant. Im going to go out on a limb here and say you will be very disappointed in the autocentricity of South Florida when you get there if you are used to the convenience of car-free and Septa. Another off-topic tip I would offer ~ from experience~is to get a contract in writing before leaving your life in Philly to relocate to S, Fl. It is a very, very different job/work/professional environment here than the PA-NJ-DE-NY corridor.
Good luck

Old 11-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailmarcarelli View Post
You can do it. My son knows a family who gets around on bikes only somewhere in the area. You need to be strategic about it and chose to live within walking distance of essentials like a supermarket. This is a link to the bus routes and schedule. Hope it helps. Palm Tran Maps and Schedules
Thank you. This helped a lot.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Philly area for most of my life, and suffered WPB for three. I got around on a bicycle, but it sure wasn't easy or pleasant. Im going to go out on a limb here and say you will be very disappointed in the autocentricity of South Florida when you get there if you are used to the convenience of car-free and Septa. Another off-topic tip I would offer ~ from experience~is to get a contract in writing before leaving your life in Philly to relocate to S, Fl. It is a very, very different job/work/professional environment here than the PA-NJ-DE-NY corridor.
Good luck
Wow good to know. I was getting that vibe as well. Could you detail this in more specifics? Like less professional, a bit more flaky? I had a feeling of that as well. Like someone promises you one thing, and then backs out is a probable scenario in FL?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Wow good to know. I was getting that vibe as well. Could you detail this in more specifics? Like less professional, a bit more flaky? I had a feeling of that as well. Like someone promises you one thing, and then backs out is a probable scenario in FL?
I managed the creative department of a large college near you in PA, I worked for XEROX for a while, trained at the Market St. location just to keep stuff in perspective for this thread. I feel I know 'real' business. When I got to SF I was shocked at what was considered acceptable for business/management. I'll just leave it at that. Very different than what it is up north. The wages are way lower, The people are way different, the "vibe" is different, it's just very different than what you are used to. Needless to say, my personal opinion is that FL is not a "career" location. It is for retiring and vacation, only. I dont want to bash your life plans or inject unnecessary negativity on your thread, I just would ask you to be very, very thorough in your research and make sure all of your "i"s are dotted and "T"s crossed. Research, written contracts etc . . . If you are thinking of leaving Philly, you probably arent 100% happy, maybe SF will be your place. I would hate to see you get there and have nothing work out when you thought it would. This comes from experience.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I managed the creative department of a large college near you in PA, I worked for XEROX for a while, trained at the Market St. location just to keep stuff in perspective for this thread. I feel I know 'real' business. When I got to SF I was shocked at what was considered acceptable for business/management. I'll just leave it at that. Very different than what it is up north. The wages are way lower, The people are way different, the "vibe" is different, it's just very different than what you are used to. Needless to say, my personal opinion is that FL is not a "career" location. It is for retiring and vacation, only. I dont want to bash your life plans or inject unnecessary negativity on your thread, I just would ask you to be very, very thorough in your research and make sure all of your "i"s are dotted and "T"s crossed. Research, written contracts etc . . . If you are thinking of leaving Philly, you probably arent 100% happy, maybe SF will be your place. I would hate to see you get there and have nothing work out when you thought it would. This comes from experience.
Oh wow, I am sorry for your troubles there. Sounds like you were in for a rude awakening. I actually love Philadelphia itself (for the most part) I am just attempting to escape the cold and something different. A lot of friends have moved to S FL albeit they are scattered in different parts. And like you said many are not working professional jobs (in fact most of that crew was never very career oriented) so I can see what you mean. When I visited I noticed the people were lower brow without sounding insensitive but I won't sugarcoat it. I'm also very open minded but I found they were not as cultured, sophisticated or intellectually curious as their NE counterparts. I'll just have to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach