Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM

47 posts, read 52,699 times

Advertisements

A little background. I regularly live in Arizona. Two years ago I purchased a second home in Mississippi. We are selling the home in Miss and moving to the Delray Beach area of Florida. When I purchased the home in Miss, as the buyer I didn't have my own realtor. Did a lot of MLS research, found a house we liked and used the sellers agent. Bottom line, we got the home below market. I believe it was mostly due to the fact the agent knew my top dollar was it, and the seller was desperate to sell, having already moved and paying two mortgages.

I have done hours of research on the Delray/Boynton Beach MLS and have about 18 homes I am tracking.

What I would like is some comments from locals about whether it is a good idea to just contact the seller agents and negotiate myself; or are there things I'm missing and I should get my own local area agent?

thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,865,475 times
As a buyer, ALWAYS get an experienced and reputable agent....IMO. You pay nothing for that. The seller pays. The key is to do research to ensure you get a quality agent.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:11 AM

96 posts, read 187,873 times
Steve, I agree with North_Pinellas_Guy especially when relocating. As a Realtor who will work with both buyers and sellers, I must say that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by engaging a realtor to help you through the transaction. Laws in each state are different. In Florida, it is illegal for a Real Estate Agent to represent both the buyer and seller (Dual Agent). Therefore most agents work as Transaction Brokers which means that they represent the transaction. However, there are still quite a few who have a Single Agent relationship with the seller which means they are fully obligated to the seller and can not represent the buyer in any way. In this case you will still be able to purchase the home without an agent by signing a No Brokerage Relationship with the seller's agent. But you will have no one watching out for you best interest. Contact me if you need some clarification. Thanks for your question.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM

47 posts, read 52,699 times
Gail, you pretty much stated what I had decided. When we bought the home in Mississippi it was a Dual Agent transaction and worked out great. But it was a completely special situation and we did happen to get a very honest and also top realtor in the area, all by blind luck. Don't figure that will happen again.

I have purchased three homes (2, 6,& 30 yrs ago) in my life and in all three cases I found the home we ended up purchasing, not the realtor. But in all three cases I was familiar with the area. I've also decided there are just to many things that may go wrong or at least end up costing more. So now I have to figure out how to find a "good" realtor.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,420,342 times
It's not uncommon for realtors to say a home is n/a when the commission is less than they'd like... so watch out for that.
(It's completely illegal - but they do it anyway. As I'm sure you're aware - there are plenty down here with zero ethics.)

Best of luck!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM

96 posts, read 187,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It's not uncommon for realtors to say a home is n/a when the commission is less than they'd like... so watch out for that.
(It's completely illegal - but they do it anyway. As I'm sure you're aware - there are plenty down here with zero ethics.)

Best of luck!
If you are concerned that a realtor is doing this simply ask for the MLS listing which will show that it is sold or under contract. Do not rely on the Zillow or Trulia listing as those lag behind the local MLS. Realtor.com is more current than Zillow or Trulia but your best bet is to ask the realtor to show you the current MLS listing. If it is under contract it will say so. If not ask to see it. If they still won't show it call the listing agent. Then fire your buyer's agent and find one you can trust. The buyer's agent should also provide you with a market analysis of any home that you are interested in buying so you can make a competitive offer.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 AM

51 posts, read 184,695 times
Firstly, I appreciate that you are making efforts to be an educated consumer and I fully understand that you'd want to take advantage of this knowledge.

It sounds like you invested your time in educating yourself on the communities you are interested in and are monitoring the sales activity as it unfolds, this is certainly an important factor for getting greatest value.

I can appreciate that we both have access to the same pictures, descriptions and pricing, but I either know the story behind the story or know someone that does. The background and motivation of the transaction and seller aren't readily available online, this specific transactional knowledge is just part of the value a buyer's agent would offer.

You might know the recent sales price and price per sq footage history for every community you are interested in, but I'm most likely in a better position to help you take advantage of this information. You are most likely a situational negotiator, while I do this for a living. You wil eventually become emotionally attached to a property, a place, a thing or outcome, my impartiality often leads to more savings, value and benefit for you when you finally know what you want.

Stop thinking that a buyer's agent can't be aligned with your desired outcomes, we represent your interests and satisfaction in this transaction, while the listing/seller's agent represents the interests and outcomes of his client. They don't want what you want, they want to sell for the highest price to the highest bidder with the quickest close date. The right buyer' agent will structure counteroffers that will either serve to save money or create value for their clients, you may or may not be as successful on your own doing the same.

Lastly, you also need to attribute a value for your time. Most people's time isn't worth zero, the time saved by someone doing it for you has a corresponding value that should be factored into the equation.

I'm not suggesting that you get a buyer's agent because it will cost you nothing, I'm saying you should because it will could cost you something if you don't.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,421,760 times
I am a real estate appraiser, as is my wife. We have bought and sold many times. But when we moved to Florida, we engaged a buyers agent. The reason is that what you see on MLS is not the whole story. There are hidden issues (crime pockets, planned projects changing traffic flows or impacting future costs, etc) that you won't know.

Always get one. It will pay in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach