Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 PM
 
338 posts, read 557,327 times
Reputation: 390

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

You might recall my past threads on other forums about potentially relocating to Florida. It's been a long process, but I have one offer and a couple final interviews lined up. The job I am most likely going to accept is located in Boca Raton. Salary is just above $85K. I am seeking advice on where I should look to live.

A little bit about me:

Late 20s, male
I love the beach
I enjoy biking
I prefer to walk instead of drive
I prefer urban areas
If possible, it would be nice to be located near family owned restaurants and shops.

I will be renting, not buying. 1 bed, 1 bath apartment with upgraded appliances, balcony, and garage (ideal but not a necessity) is what I'm looking for. I would like to be able to walk around the block and be near shops/restaurants/bars/things to do, including the beach (if possible). I don't really want to spend over $1.7K for rent.

Safety is important to me. I like to walk around whenever I want.

Some people on here have recommended downtown Delray Beach and Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale but I think FTL is a bit far of a drive. I'm not really looking to have a long commute of more than 30 minutes or so. Even that is a bit much.

Are there areas in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, WPB, or others that I should be considering? Please let me know!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
1,708 posts, read 4,403,119 times
Reputation: 640
Delray would probably be your best bet.
mizner in Boca could work as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 PM
 
338 posts, read 557,327 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Delray would probably be your best bet.
mizner in Boca could work as well.
Haven't heard of Mizner. Will take a look. Thanks!

I hear anywhere off of Atlantic Ave in Delray is probably where I want to be. That true or are there other decent areas worth considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 5,600,522 times
Reputation: 1010
Depends on how close you want to be to your job, traffic in Boca can be heavy at rush hour and backs up on certain roads. I would not suggest moving south and commuting, because odds are will be taking 95 and it's often a parking lot.

One of my interns use to live in a place in North Boca, that is actually a near the Delray Beach City Limits, called "North Boca Village, it's right off Federal Highway and places you near the beach and close to both Boca and Delray and 95.

North Boca Village | Luxury Apartments in Boca Raton | Broadstone North Boca Village

1 bedroom is around 1500+ and up, these are very nice apartments and very modern.

Garages for apartments are rare and if you find a place that has them, expect to pay plenty in addition to your monthly rent.

You will find rents for what you desire in Boca to be very expensive, reasons why you might want to look around elsewhere, also think anything along or near Atlantic Ave in Delray to be $$, you might find more availability in downtown WPB that's priced better, just a further drive via 95.

$85K after federal taxes is around $62K take home a year, or roughly $5245/month take home average out over 26 paychecks per year, which is a typical for most companies here. You definatley want to keep your rent under $2K/month and invest heavily in a Roth IRA or company sponsored 401K if the matching is good.

Also check with your current auto insurance company on what that's going to cost you as likely it will increase substantially depending on type of car you drive and where you are coming from. I'm 45 and drive a 2014 BMW M5 and my insurance is $200/month, for top tier coverage through Geico. Again if you drive a Toyota Corolla, your rates might be lower or not, one of my staff is 27 and drives a Jeep and is paying $300/month for insurance and does not even have great coverage, he has a clean record just that his age hurts him and South Florida's notorious high auto insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM
 
338 posts, read 557,327 times
Reputation: 390
@THX...thank you so much for the information! Great tips and suggestions. About the insurance, that's a great point. I have a couple speeding tickets on my record but I drive a 2010 Toyota Camry so hopefully insurance won't be too bad. I'm not an extravagant person by any means so I'm fairly confident I'll be able to live within my means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 AM
 
Location: 33432
51 posts, read 184,963 times
Reputation: 47
How did your move go, where did you end up settling down?

I'd have to second sky's advice, Atlantic Ave in Delray or east of US-1 between Camino Real and Glades in Boca Raton would have been my options for you.

Let us know how it ended up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Hey everyone,

You might recall my past threads on other forums about potentially relocating to Florida. It's been a long process, but I have one offer and a couple final interviews lined up. The job I am most likely going to accept is located in Boca Raton. Salary is just above $85K. I am seeking advice on where I should look to live.

A little bit about me:

Late 20s, male
I love the beach
I enjoy biking
I prefer to walk instead of drive
I prefer urban areas
If possible, it would be nice to be located near family owned restaurants and shops.

I will be renting, not buying. 1 bed, 1 bath apartment with upgraded appliances, balcony, and garage (ideal but not a necessity) is what I'm looking for. I would like to be able to walk around the block and be near shops/restaurants/bars/things to do, including the beach (if possible). I don't really want to spend over $1.7K for rent.

Safety is important to me. I like to walk around whenever I want.

Some people on here have recommended downtown Delray Beach and Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale but I think FTL is a bit far of a drive. I'm not really looking to have a long commute of more than 30 minutes or so. Even that is a bit much.

Are there areas in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, WPB, or others that I should be considering? Please let me know!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM
 
338 posts, read 557,327 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAptFinder View Post
How did your move go, where did you end up settling down?

I'd have to second sky's advice, Atlantic Ave in Delray or east of US-1 between Camino Real and Glades in Boca Raton would have been my options for you.

Let us know how it ended up...
Hey thanks for the recommendations. I haven't made the move yet. Hoping to accept one of the three offers later this week. I will keep you posted though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 5,600,522 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
@THX...thank you so much for the information! Great tips and suggestions. About the insurance, that's a great point. I have a couple speeding tickets on my record but I drive a 2010 Toyota Camry so hopefully insurance won't be too bad. I'm not an extravagant person by any means so I'm fairly confident I'll be able to live within my means.
Florida has mandatory PIP, but you can lower down your coverage to the limits to save $, many do this but it's very risky, Florida is a no-fault states but in South Florida it has not helped in lowering the costs at all.

Florida is one of the highest states for drivers, as of 2013 the rate was 25%, who have no car insurance at all, but it's declining hopefully sooner than later as it's driving up the cost...as well fraud is very high here which keeps rate climbing.

http://www.insurance-research.org/si...sRelease_1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 AM
 
338 posts, read 557,327 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Florida has mandatory PIP, but you can lower down your coverage to the limits to save $, many do this but it's very risky, Florida is a no-fault states but in South Florida it has not helped in lowering the costs at all.

Florida is one of the highest states for drivers, as of 2013 the rate was 25%, who have no car insurance at all, but it's declining hopefully sooner than later as it's driving up the cost...as well fraud is very high here which keeps rate climbing.

http://www.insurance-research.org/si...sRelease_1.pdf
Great to know. Car insurance sure can be a pain and I've been considering switching to Geico for a while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
 
17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Reputation: 8691
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138;

Also check with your current auto insurance company on what that's going to cost you as likely it will increase substantially depending on type of car you drive and where you are coming from. I'm 45 and drive a 2014 BMW M5 and my insurance is $200/month, for top tier coverage through Geico. Again if you drive a Toyota Corolla, your rates might be lower or not, one of my staff is 27 and drives a Jeep and is paying $300/month for insurance and does not even have great coverage, he has a clean record just that his age hurts him and South Florida's notorious high auto insurance.


$300/month for a Jeep? Did he bother to shop around? One of my associates is 28 and drives a 2013 Mercedes and pays less than $200/month with Travelers insurance.

I had a G37 coupe @ 25 and my insurance was maybe $175/month, 100/300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top