Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 PM

126 posts, read 196,269 times

Advertisements

I have been living in WPB in Andros Isle now for 9 months. The development is great. I love the amenities and the townhouse we are in now is very spacious and I really think we lucked out with the price we're paying.
I say this because I have seen many rentals and it's scary out there.

Our year lease is coming to an end soon, my son is in preschool at the Kings Academy and loves it.
I feel safe with him there. The contract with them is not up until November.
We are not sure we want to renew our lease here because we've had numerous repairs that needed to be done and took forever for the management company to send their handy men. It's been very inconvenient.
The preschool is quite pricey. We are thinking of looking in Jupiter because the schools are A rated and that's where we want to end up anyway.
I called a preschool in Jupiter that comes highly recommended and they charge a lot less then his current school. So, I am thinking if we move to Jupiter in April 1, he will still be in TKA 7 months and then I can put him into a Jupiter Pre K until he's ready for Kindergarten.
It would save on some money. However, it would mean more gas and mileage in driving to work to RPB, and still dropping him off at TKA which is close to my job in RPB. I don't think it would be a significant amount of gas or mileage but, still more than what I use now.. I literally drive 2 miles to work and his school is on the way.

OR, I could just renew my lease where I am at in WPB, but then I would be shelling out another 10k in school for him for the year.... Ugh so frustrating.
If I renew here, who is to say that other things won't go wrong here.. which they continue to. Most recently, for two months now, my son has been coughing and I have developed sinus issues back to back. I called the management company to have them send someone to check the Central Air unit. I am concerned if there is mold. They found there is mold in the electric coil and needs to be replaced and cleaned out. I took my son to numerous Dr. visits and he still is coughing over two months now.. SO, I fear this is a mold issue.. or allergies.. but, still it's been a pain with getting them to fix anything here.

We checked out a very nice, new updated apartment complex in Wellington called Axis by the Mall.
It was nice to my surprise. However, the square footage of the units are quite small. Smaller than what I am used to and we have a lot of stuff. There is a garage available, but it's small at 10x23. So, we'd have to put my son's bike, ATV, wagon in there and not park the car in the garage.. the Garage option is also extra per month as well as their ridiculous pet fee of $500/month PLUS a $15 monthly pet fee... Other than these things, it's very nice..but, then I would still keep my son in the school he's in.

Jupiter - there are a few options in the Abacoa's or the new development that is just been built. The square footage in their options would fit our needs for sure.. but, would need to most likely pay a couple hundred more to get a two car garage TH.

I apologize for going on.. I am just very confused at what to do ... stay... or go!
I also loathe the idea of moving again.. BUT, I would do it for my Son so he can be in Jupiter schools.
Plus, if there is mold for sure here, I would like to get us out of the situation ASAP.

Thoughts!!??? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 52,585 times
Its hard to say without ever having seen your apartment, but I would be very surprised if it turned out to be a mold issue in a place that new, especially if it hasn't sat empty as a foreclosure or had water intrusion. I know, easy to say from my chair and when your child coughs you want to move mountains to find the issue, but if it makes you feel any better its probably not a serious mold problem statistically. I know its just anecdotal evidence, but I've been having sinus issues as well this year on top of the fact that the family has gotten one or two colds in the recent months that have been particularly tough to kick. It happens, and we live in a mold-free house with a new AC system. Clean out your AC filters, check for signs of water intrusion near the windows, inspect the attic with a good flashlight, check for loose tile in the shower/tubs that can cause water to get into the wall, and sleep well at night (unless you find something).

As for Jupiter vs West Palm....we're currently looking to move from Boynton up to Jupiter. Unfortunately, so is everyone else. Prices, IMO, are artificially high (but not by much) as investors and recovering home buyers are looking to score safe, secure real estate with good schools for their kids and it seems like the only homes on the market are the people who want a piece of the action. On the other hand, prices might be high, but Jupiter looks to be one of the safest bets when it comes to property values - good schools, not a lot of rapid expansion, close enough to downtown WPB, and it doesn't have the stigma of Riviera/Boynton/Lake Worth on its doorstep. I'll take stable high prices over wildly fluctuating average prices elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-in-FL View Post
Its hard to say without ever having seen your apartment, but I would be very surprised if it turned out to be a mold issue in a place that new, especially if it hasn't sat empty as a foreclosure or had water intrusion. I know, easy to say from my chair and when your child coughs you want to move mountains to find the issue, but if it makes you feel any better its probably not a serious mold problem statistically. I know its just anecdotal evidence, but I've been having sinus issues as well this year on top of the fact that the family has gotten one or two colds in the recent months that have been particularly tough to kick. It happens, and we live in a mold-free house with a new AC system. Clean out your AC filters, check for signs of water intrusion near the windows, inspect the attic with a good flashlight, check for loose tile in the shower/tubs that can cause water to get into the wall, and sleep well at night (unless you find something).

As for Jupiter vs West Palm....we're currently looking to move from Boynton up to Jupiter. Unfortunately, so is everyone else. Prices, IMO, are artificially high (but not by much) as investors and recovering home buyers are looking to score safe, secure real estate with good schools for their kids and it seems like the only homes on the market are the people who want a piece of the action. On the other hand, prices might be high, but Jupiter looks to be one of the safest bets when it comes to property values - good schools, not a lot of rapid expansion, close enough to downtown WPB, and it doesn't have the stigma of Riviera/Boynton/Lake Worth on its doorstep. I'll take stable high prices over wildly fluctuating average prices elsewhere.
Thank you for your input. The townhouse/villa we live in now was built in 2001. There was a flood here according to our neighbors who share the opposite side of the villa, a few years ago of which the entire wall had to be ripped out and redone...
My son just had a chest X-ray today. Allergy blood work came back normal.. I'm praying this isn't mold.

Do you know anything about Martinique at Abacoa? I guess jupiter is the place to end up. whether it be in the next few months or next year.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 PM

10 posts, read 52,585 times
No, I don't know much about Abacoa other than the whole area in there is like the capital of HOAs (meaning theres almost no property without an HOA). I don't particularly like HOAs, and am looking more at the Jupiter Farms area which is out west. Jupiter in general does seem like the place to end up. I want to be there, but I am very much not a person that buys the latest craze at a premium, so its hard for me to stomach the idea of paying such high prices to live there. I definitely wouldn't if it werent for wanting to put my kids in good schools.

If you had a flood and a wall was ripped out due to water intrusion, now you're getting into situation that has the potential for mold. Sorry if I was too dismissive before but I see a lot of people sneeze and freak out about mold when they have nothing to worry about.

My father is an expert in mold, buildings, construction, and water intrusion, I am not, but I've learned a little through him. Mold can't grow without a water source, so if the repair was done properly and the area dried out the mold should die off. The key to growing a mold problem is water intrusion, so anywhere you have suspicions, look for signs of water. Where the wall was repaired, push on the drywall and feel for soft, wet, or crumbly drywall, especially near windows or joints.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:34 AM

96 posts, read 188,794 times
Robert is right about the mold. My husband is also an expert in mold, buildings and water intrusion among other things. He has an expression, "Mold is gold" because a lot of people tried to capitalize on the fear of mold that was perpetuated by the media. To be sure, there are some molds that are very dangerous to all people but most are not. Florida air is naturally full of mold spores. Just have the mold removed and stop the water intrusion. And remember to use licensed professionals for repairs when warranted.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,389 times
I'm a real estate agent here in Jupiter, so I might be a bit biased, but we've got great "A" rated schools, and a variety of private & religious options.

I moved here by chance 7 years ago, and I don't think I'll ever live anywhere else.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
No, I don't know much about Abacoa other than the whole area in there is like the capital of HOAs (meaning theres almost no property without an HOA). I don't particularly like HOAs, and am looking more at the Jupiter Farms area which is out west. Jupiter in general does seem like the place to end up. I want to be there, but I am very much not a person that buys the latest craze at a premium, so its hard for me to stomach the idea of paying such high prices to live there. I definitely wouldn't if it werent for wanting to put my kids in good schools.

If you had a flood and a wall was ripped out due to water intrusion, now you're getting into situation that has the potential for mold. Sorry if I was too dismissive before but I see a lot of people sneeze and freak out about mold when they have nothing to worry about.

My father is an expert in mold, buildings, construction, and water intrusion, I am not, but I've learned a little through him. Mold can't grow without a water source, so if the repair was done properly and the area dried out the mold should die off. The key to growing a mold problem is water intrusion, so anywhere you have suspicions, look for signs of water. Where the wall was repaired, push on the drywall and feel for soft, wet, or crumbly drywall, especially near windows or joints.
Thanks again, Robert. You've been very helpful and knowledgeable.
Will do.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:21 PM

17,476 posts, read 22,228,234 times
Quote:

1. Abacoa has 2 HOA's for every residence (master association and your neighborhood association)
2. HOA's can be crazy but the majority just prevents people from making bad decisions (tearing your RV apart in the driveway for 6 months, painting your house purple with black trim or raising a dozen cats and dogs in your one bedroom apartment)
3. Jupiter Farms is decent, just be aware there is a lot of property crime and there is usually only 2 Sheriff's deputies on duty out there for all of JFs. The property taxes are high for the amount of services they get in return (very little).

Old 02-04-2015, 05:19 PM

18 posts, read 33,535 times
Anyone familiar with the development RIALTO ? In Jupiter? Is it worth the money? It seems EXTREMELY overpriced .I understand it's great location, but seems like prices have skyrocketed over the last year. Can anyone confirm if in fact the HOA fees are planning to go up also?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,387 times
Following this thread.....my family of 5 (kids ages 8,7 and 3) will be relocating to that area sometime in July. We are moving from CT. We loved Wellington itself but were not thrilled with the outlying areas and it really is too far from my husband's new office. We liked Jupiter but I couldn't get a feel for the "family" orientation (not that it didn't exist, but I just couldn't get the sense that I did in Wellington.) We really liked Rialto for lot size (we will rent.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach