Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:24 PM

230 posts, read 388,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgolf View Post
...how severe was it? did u have to evacuate?
I lived in Florida (Northern Palm Beach County) for 40 of my near-52 years on this planet. In that time I experienced a great number of hurricanes, both glancing blows (Andrew, Katrina) and direct hits (David, Irene, Francis, Jeanne, and Wilma...plus a few in the 1960's that I was too young to remember the names offhand).

"How severe was it" depends on your point of reference and temperament. None of the storms affecting the Palm Beach County area in the 2004 / 2005 seasons were stronger than Cat 2 while in the area (not to be pedantic, but including Wilma...which was borderline cat 2 with maximum sustained winds in the neighborhood of 80 kts / 90+ mph [and, yes, I would heartily agree it sure *seemed* worse than that as I was leaning against my unprotected front door trying to keep it from blowing in, and watching the maelstrom outside] when the back eyewall hit after most of the eye had passed offshore over the Gulf Stream and it had started re-strengthening: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL252005_Wilma.pdf ). So, if seeing a bunch of vegetation and construction debris scattered around, trees uprooted, awnings shredded, and shingles off many roofs, and being without power for a day to several days is your idea of "severe"....it was severe. If, on the other hand, still having a roof over your head, having to cook on a camp stove outside, enduring a day or two of heat without a/c (or cold without a heater, in the case of Wilma), and having to talk the neighbor into running a power cord from his generator to your fridge is just what it takes to make it through the next few days in your mind, then it was no big deal. I'm not trying to be flip or make it sound like someone/anyone/myself is any "better" than anyone else; rather that your idea of whether it would be "bad" or not really depends on your frame of reference, expectations, adaptability, and preparedness.

On the other hand, if you were in the direct path of Andrew's eyewall in 1992 (extreme South Dade County) I think you could speak to what would qualify as "severe" in literally anybody's interpretation. Everything...EVERYTHING...is either damaged beyond recognition or completely gone. Buildings, landscaping, street signs, EVERYTHING. GONE. In the immediate aftermath one of the things that hampered rescue and relief efforts was that nobody knew where anything was...there were no landmarks, signs, etc to let you know what street you were on, what house used to stand in that patch of empty you're sitting in front of, etc. An astute person will notice that most exits on I-95 now have their exit number painted somewhere on the shoulder just before the exit...this is one reason why. You may also see the names of streets painted on the road at major intersections immediately beforehand if a strong hurricane is threatening to hit. Side note...this happened in 1999, I believe with Floyd, which was beelining for the Palm Beach area as a major hurricane. The forecasters kept promising it would turn to the NW "within the next 24 hours"...for several days! A few days out (with promises it would turn "in 24 hours" still being given) I noticed the intersection of Jog and Belvedere had been painted with street names, and it looked pretty hurried. Starting seeing it at some other major intersections...and thsi made me start worrying that the promise turn to the NW might not happen in time (it eventually did, taking a solid turn about 100 - 150 miles ofshore and completely missing Florida). But I digress...to some folks severe might mean you are uncomfortable for a few days...to other it might mean you are in a true pure survival situation with no food, water, or shelter until it can be brought in to you through disaster zones that must be cleared every step of the way...possibly days after the storm has passed.

"Did you have to evacuate" is a question that could have several interpretations. Here is the link for the "official" PB County evacuation zone maps for various category hurricanes:
Evacuation Information for Residents
Even if you are in an evacuation zone, it doesn't mean you "have to" evacuate...just that it could be very foolish (and potentially fatal) not to. Note, this map gives evacuation zones due to potential rising water areas...it does not address a question like "Should I stay in my wood frame house 10 miles inland when I am potentially in the path of a Cat 4 storm?" Decisions regarding evacuating vs. riding out a storm in non-evacuation zones should be made at your own discretion, including such factors as expected/possible winds, home construction, timing (eg can you get out when the decision has been made, or are the highways already clogged?), availability of shelter elsewhere, etc.

Here are a couple more discussions from earlier with some good information on various aspects of hurricanes in the area...

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...l#post25541403

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...ch-shores.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:58 PM

335 posts, read 620,241 times
In 1992 I was still living in NJ, and my grandmother was living in Tamarac. We were worried about her during Andrew, but, like every other hurricane or storm that hit, told us, "Just a little wind, just a little rain!" I also met someone who was living near Homestead and she said the roof blew off her place and she was huddled in the bathtub during Andrew. I cannot fathom what those people went through in Homestead.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:02 PM

116 posts, read 175,147 times
FYI...Hurricaines suck up north too...I am considering a move to Palm Beach County from Long Island NY....
in my life time we have had many of these storms...the two that stand out are Gloria from the 80's electricity was out for weeks...the eye came right over the island...and the most recent Sandy...
Sand wasnt so much a wind event...yes it blew some...but water...WATER ...crazy dystruction...like the previous post ...so much dystruction it was hard to know where you were!
sooo a question
We will be moving to Palm Beach County, but are still deciding on the where...what is the best type of hurricaine prep/protection... does location matter...since Sandy (I currently live on a bay off the Atlantic) I dont want to be near anything that can flood.......any other suguestions would be helpful.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 AM

96 posts, read 188,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post
FYI...Hurricaines suck up north too...I am considering a move to Palm Beach County from Long Island NY....
in my life time we have had many of these storms...the two that stand out are Gloria from the 80's electricity was out for weeks...the eye came right over the island...and the most recent Sandy...
Sand wasnt so much a wind event...yes it blew some...but water...WATER ...crazy dystruction...like the previous post ...so much dystruction it was hard to know where you were!
sooo a question
We will be moving to Palm Beach County, but are still deciding on the where...what is the best type of hurricaine prep/protection... does location matter...since Sandy (I currently live on a bay off the Atlantic) I dont want to be near anything that can flood.......any other suguestions would be helpful.
As we say here: "Hide from the wind, run from the water" The higher you are from BFE (Base Flood Elevation) the better. Check the FIRM for the area you wish to live in. Here's a link to PBC's www.pbcgov.com/pzb/maps/pdfs/floodzones.pdf

If you want to be in coastal zones you would want to elevate you home at least 3 ft above the BFE with pilings perhaps.

Harden your home for the wind. Wind protection for windows: shutters or impact resistant windows, roofs installed to code (hip roofs are best), wind rated doors and garage doors.

Not only do these things help keep your home safe but they lower the cost of your insurance.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 62,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgolf View Post
thanx to all for replies. the dilemna for NJ people is whether to put up with winter or move to FL & put up with hurricanes.
I lived through Superstorm Sandy, 2 blocks from the beach in Belmar. My town was devastated. I figure I will not try to stick around if a hurricane comes through like I did with Sandy, The good thing is there is usually notice when a hurricane is coming so that we can prepare, and they are few and far between. Sure beats the snow and ice of Jersey!!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 PM

285 posts, read 639,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I was here for Wilma as well, living in northeast Boca.

The forecasters predicted it was going to be a big nothing and were wrong.
Actually, the hurricane center predicted Wilma reasonably well. Four days before the storm they said it would hit the west coast of Florida around Naples as a category 3 storm and would move across the state and emerge in the Atlantic near Palm Beach as a category 2 storm. And that's pretty close to what happened.

Granted, there were no evacuation orders issued for PB, but that's the politician's responsibility not the forecaster's.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 PM

536 posts, read 845,540 times
A tree came through my roof during H Wilma and I was without power for weeks. My neighbors had broken windows but I had put up my shutters. The news was reporting a cat 1 at worst last time I checked before the storm.

We were assured that the storm would lose power over land. Our neighborhood was devastated and we had no stoplights for weeks. I had work, but no hot water for a shower. It was depressing and dangerous.

It's not just the official category, We in Boca got little from Andrew according to the official report, but a 100 yr old oak tree fell from across the st into my yard. Clean up is difficult because you can't get anyone to fix anything, even a hole in the roof. If it weren't for my lawn guy, who got up on my roof, placed a tarp and wouldn't take a cent for it, I would have had a hard time for weeks. FEMA got me an official tarp 4 or 5 weeks later.

After Andrew I had two problems--excessive heat for days...and of all things, ducks. The canal near me had flooded and my yard was full of angry ducks. I fed them and they got friendlier and didn't "guard" my pathway. They left promptly enough when the water level went down.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM

499 posts, read 586,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini23nj View Post
I lived through Superstorm Sandy, 2 blocks from the beach in Belmar. My town was devastated. I figure I will not try to stick around if a hurricane comes through like I did with Sandy, The good thing is there is usually notice when a hurricane is coming so that we can prepare, and they are few and far between. Sure beats the snow and ice of Jersey!!
Sandy was truly an eye opener. Never, ever thought I'd see anything like that in CT. Half the town literally underwater for weeks. Debris everywhere, no power, no heat/hot water. Snowed a few days later, froze our A$$es off. Parts of the shoreline still haven't recovered.

STILL better than the snow/ice/subzero temps that are pretty much guaranteed to majorly disrupt your life on a near DAILY basis all winter long in the NE. I'd rather take my chances with the hurricanes in FL than stay in CT.

We are moving to Wellington in 39 days and I cannot wait!

Old 03-21-2015, 02:56 AM

134 posts, read 282,758 times
You asked about hurricanes in the Boca / West Palm area, and I want to add that the previous references to Andrew are correct, in that "he" did not affect this area much, BUT Andrew was supposed to hit here, and veered off NOT to do little damage, but to do a lot of damage in Homestead, etc. CAT 5. We live east of US 1, and yes, we were told to evacuate.

NOTE: If you live in a sound structure, you will probably not have to worry about personal safety, but your property will be a mess... consider trimming tall trees beforehand, etc.

Does anyone wonder whether the recent warmer temperatures (last summer was REALLY hot) will increase the likelihood of more hurricanes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach