Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 AM

43 posts, read 54,859 times

Advertisements

has anyone experienced a hurricane in boca/west palm area? how severe was it? did u have to evacuate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,702,943 times
Back in 2005 when hurricane Wilma came through was baaaaaad.
I was living in Delray Beach at the time right by Atlantic ave, which is the downtown area and it was pretty much destroyed. So many beautiful trees came down, so much damage to the downtown area it was heartbreaking to see. All the awnings had blown off the shops and restaurants....wires down everywhere, trees down, so much trash and debris everywhere it was shocking to see. I had never seen anything like it really.

However, they cleaned it up nicely and by around xmas time it had been largely cleaned up and restored, but still the beautiful trees that came down were not replaced. Also, power was out for 2 weeks in some parts of Delray, other areas had it back after a week, etc. I just remember life stopped fopr a good two weeks and people were kinda just existing....there was a weird energy in the air afterward... kinda depressing but ppl bounced back. Dont think we've had one hit since 05, so we're on a roll here.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,459,360 times
I was here for Wilma as well, living in northeast Boca.

The forecasters predicted it was going to be a big nothing and were wrong.

It was horrible. The sound alone is horrific.

Our neighbor's roof was in our backyard and the wind really wanted to sail it into the house via our sliding glass doors, but luckily we were spared... the power was off for most folks for weeks, there was a curfew, Publix had hardly anything on the shelves....

My friend in WPB has hurricane shutters. A tree broke through the window/shutter and landed in her nursery.
Luckily she didn't have the baby in the room when it happened.

A woman in Delray was killed by her impact windows that detached and came flying into her house.

I could go on and on, but it wasn't a good experience and while the hurricane was much worse than what was predicted, it wasn't one of the worst to hit South Florida.

Boca Del Mar got hit with multiple tornadoes that spun off from the hurricane and many many condos were destroyed.

I shake my head at how over populated we're getting down here and what'll happen when another hurricane comes through.

We will get hit again without a doubt.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 01-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 52,466 times
Wilma was the big one for me as well. I've been in South Florida since 82, so have seen a bunch of hurricanes. Most (like Andrew), veered off at the last minute or fizzled by the time they got further inland. Every time a hurricane comes, lots of newbies panic, stock the garage with 2 years worth of Ramen and water and run buy enough generators and gasoline to supply an army, and every time it ended up being a few downed powerlines, some roads near canals flooded and life is back to normal in a few days.

Not Wilma though. I think Wilma was a 3 bordering on a 4, the area I was in got cat 2 winds. It was no joke. I remember looking out the window and seeing the speed at which branches were moving through the air, it was like nothing else. And the sound - that howling. The worst was that you had no idea how bad it really was. If it gets louder, was the roof going to come off? How much can the house take? What happens if a window breaks and the roof is weakened? Nothing you could do at that point.

It was definitely a sobering experience after feeling like so much of the storm prep had been hyped for TV ratings for so long.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:40 PM

335 posts, read 620,524 times
We had just moved to Wellington from Weston in June 2005. Wilma was horrible. I think they said the eye passed right over us. Our windows were all boarded up with shutters, but I was still petrified they were going to come off and go sailing into the house. My husband unfortunately had to go back to NJ to be with his ailing father, and I hid in an interior walk-in closet with our cat for several hours. The front door was shaking as if someone were trying to force it open. We got very lucky in that our single story house was sheltered by a lot of two-stories around us, and our screen patio was spared. Not the case with everyone across the lake, they were all down. We lost power for 2 weeks, but thankfully a cold front came through right afterwards and it was sweatshirt weather, not a/c weather.

This was before gas stations had to have generators. Gas stations need power to pump gas. Home portable generators need gas to run. You can only imagine the lines for gas, it was worse than when I was a kid in the 70's waiting on line on our assigned gas day.

I did notice a sense of community in the area. Our neighbor next door had a friend who got their power back on quickly (they usually work on the wires by the hospitals first), and loaned them their larger generator. Our neighbor, in turn, offered their less powerful one for us so that I could have some electricity for awhile. He also helped me take down the shutters, since my husband was still in NJ.

We got lucky that we had gas for our water heater and stove, so at least I was able to boil water for instant coffee and have a warm shower. There were stories of people heating up their garden hoses outside in the sun and bringing them through a window into a shower stall to bathe.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 PM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Saw David, Andrew, Frances, Jean, Charlie and Wilma.........never had so much as a roof tile fly off, no broken windows, no insurance claim.

David had some flooding on my street (knee deep), Andrew I lost a coconut palm, never lost power for Frances, had a generator for Jean, Charlie was uneventful, Wilma sucked because I didn't put the shutters on and it stayed around too long.....front door was flexing, NOT GOOD!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 AM

43 posts, read 54,859 times
thanx to all for replies. the dilemna for NJ people is whether to put up with winter or move to FL & put up with hurricanes.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:48 AM

293 posts, read 500,758 times
Rex

hurricanes are media events and not real threat if you are prepared. More people die in NJ from snowstorms and frigid cold and heat waves then people die from hurricanes. The majority of people who do die from a hurricane is after the storm because they did something stupid.

The last time a hurricane was in PBC was 2005 or 9.5 years ago. So that was the last time someone dies from a hurricane. when was the last NJ Bitter cold spell where people dies or last major snowstorm where people died. Bottom line Hurricanes again are a media event, does not make good tv reporting deaths from people with no heat in frigid cold or car accidents from sleet and snow.

there have been 26 hurricanes to touch part of PBC in past 150 years so once every 6 years, and majority cause very little damage.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 PM

154 posts, read 389,064 times
Wilma and did not evacuate had to test the expensive bullet proof bank windows I recycled to patio windows for my intercostal view , lost power till generator went on, bridges were closed by the next day and I got to Two Georges for drinks! re secured neighbors boat, and seen what caused the damage not the wind but the flying crap in the wind is what blows out windows and breaks your roofs! once you loose your windows its over! and if folks would store stuff secure!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM

232 posts, read 774,023 times
I think there were four that hit South Florida during those two years.

Francis was the first and kind of raised a general panic. Many people drove north. I remember driving on 95 and being the only car. This was a few hours before the hurricane hit. It was a very slow moving hurricane. Like all hurricanes, the worst was losing power for a good week or two weeks.

Katrina was not bad at all. I went to bed expecting the power to be out. Woke up and everything seemed normal.

Wilma was the unexpected. Hurricanes by then were 'old hat'. Since the hurricane was going across the state of Florida from the gulf, people did not expect it to do damage. I lived with a roommate and we did not put shutters up (lived in Delray at the time). Big surprise obviously. That hurricane did damage from North Palm Beach all the way down to taking off roofs in Miami. We went without power for two weeks. Instead of waiting in line for three hours for gas, I drove up to Jupiter for gas and waited maybe 10 minutes. Thankfully it was at the end of October and the temperature dropped a lot after Wilma blew through.

Ironically many people from NY, NJ left S Florida and got hit by hurricanes a few years later. Not sure why Florida got hit so hard those years...I am sure the was some el nino affect happening. But otherwise, Florida has been lucky in regards to hurricanes. *knock on wood*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach