Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 AM

530 posts, read 669,023 times

Advertisements

West Boca is far from the beach but if you live close to the beach you will be paying federal flood insurance on top of regular insurance. This can make or break a location. Lots of people want to be close to the beach but can lots of people afford to do so? The general rule of thumb here is ten miles will exempt you from this extra expense but please consult the maps that specifically have this information. It is possible to feed addresses into a search bar and find out whether or not the particular property is in the 'flood zone'.
Also, if you are interested in a particular community because of the backgrounds of the people living there, that is very important also. How much diversity are you comfortable with, what houses of worship are going to join, what sort of "feel" in a neighborhood interests you, how close do you want to be to shopping?
Years ago, people bought houses and then traded up successfully. They always won because real estate always increased in value. Now, with the market as unpredictable as it is, it is wise to really think through all of your reasons for your move to a new house. Take a piece of paper and write down your reasons. Make a list, starting with the most important reason first. After you have the list, draw a line under the last reason that you absolutely will not compromise on. In other words, keep the most important (i.e. the first five on the list, etc.) as non negotiable. Then, start your investigation and do so, attempting to keep your heart out of it. A gorgeous house with a pool may end up being a disaster because of hidden fees. Be aware that many communities that look attractive to you may require membership fees to their social or golf club, etc.
Perhaps that pool that is so important can become a community pool so that you can have a bigger house without a pool, without the increased insurance that comes with that pool and without the extra danger to your two babies who will be growing up around that pool.
With houses as in chess, sometimes you have to give up a pawn to gain a king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:59 AM

34 posts, read 76,267 times
Wow, you have some really great and helpful points, thank you!! In terms of neighborhood, I like to walk and not drive everywhere... but I know that is a difficult one. We like a place where there is stuff to do for the kids nearby, where can walk the dog. I dont like to have to drive for ever to get to restaurants, shops, etc. we are also going to see Jacksonville area as potential place to live..

Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,799,475 times
West Boca is probably your best as far as communities full of families have you checkout Canyon Trails by Gl homes which is really good builder and its a family centered community plus they have other developments in the Delray/Boca area. Florida Homes for Sale - Florida Real Estate - GL Homes

Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check that out! Do you think that is the best area to live in with kids in Florida or are there others, such as St. John's county!?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 PM

Anyone opinions on St John's County vs Boca Raton area?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM

61 posts, read 122,680 times
Boca has A LOT of traffic. I'm really not sure what can be done with it at this point and I see no relief in site. Out in west boca, 441 is horrible at times, and they are putting in another traffic light approximately 120 yards away from the busiest intersection out there --Glades & 441. (shaking my head) East Boca is just as bad. My wife and I got caught in the after work traffic coming from the beach while trying to go look at a house that was for sale. I was so frustrated with the traffic that I told my wife there NO WAY I can buy here. LOL It was grid lock. Last Monday, my wife and I were headed over to Mizner Park (coming from west boca) for my Son's basketball practice that started at 6:30, and North Federal was a parking lot. (East Boca) It sure is nice being close to the beach, but I'll drive 20 minutes to the beach instead, as long as I don't have to be in that traffic.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM

55 posts, read 124,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusnatc View Post
Boca has A LOT of traffic. I'm really not sure what can be done with it at this point and I see no relief in site. Out in west boca, 441 is horrible at times, and they are putting in another traffic light approximately 120 yards away from the busiest intersection out there --Glades & 441. (shaking my head) East Boca is just as bad. My wife and I got caught in the after work traffic coming from the beach while trying to go look at a house that was for sale. I was so frustrated with the traffic that I told my wife there NO WAY I can buy here. LOL It was grid lock. Last Monday, my wife and I were headed over to Mizner Park (coming from west boca) for my Son's basketball practice that started at 6:30, and North Federal was a parking lot. (East Boca) It sure is nice being close to the beach, but I'll drive 20 minutes to the beach instead, as long as I don't have to be in that traffic.
Very good points, thank! This is certainly something to keep in mind!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,971 times
East and Central Boca has great family neighborhoods. East: Check Boca Square, Camino Gardens and Palm Beach Farms. Also neighborhoods near El Rio park on 18th street, many kids and families in all these areas. This area is zoned for Boca Raton High which is currently ranked as the best public high school in the county. Central Boca has some beautiful neighborhoods, more consistency- check anything lining St. Andrews or south off yamato. Mill Pond area... Great middle and high schools in central boca too.

Delray is not as family friendly- even though we currently live here. We will be looking to move within the next 5 years either to Boca or Jupiter (as our first baby is due in a few months.) Although there are nice pockets like Delray Lakes, many families end up sending kids to private school or hoping to get into Boca schools through lottery or choice programs. Delray is more city like than Boca, a very big singles population.

side note as long as you're open you may want to check jupiter. its still palm beach county, great schools, many families and kids, as consistent as west boca, not as busy as boca less snow bird population.

Last edited by Laurenkf; 01-20-2015 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,971 times
East and Central Boca has great family neighborhoods. East: Check Boca Square, Camino Gardens and Palm Beach Farms. Also neighborhoods near El Rio park on 18th street, many kids and families in all these areas. This area is zoned for Boca Raton High which is currently ranked as the best public high school in the county. Central Boca has some beautiful neighborhoods, more consistency- check anything lining St. Andrews or south off yamato. Mill Pond area... Great middle and high schools in central boca too.

Delray is not as family friendly- even though we currently live here. We will be looking to move within the next 5 years either to Boca or Jupiter (as our first baby is due in a few months.) Although there are nice pockets like Delray Lakes, many families end up sending kids to private school or hoping to get into Boca schools through lottery or choice programs. Delray is more city like than Boca, a very big singles population.

side note- you may want to check jupiter as long as you're open. very family friendly many kids, as consistent as west boca, great schools. not as busy as boca, less snow birds.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM

55 posts, read 124,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenkf View Post

side note- you may want to check jupiter as long as you're open. very family friendly many kids, as consistent as west boca, great schools. not as busy as boca, less snow birds.
Thank you! We are also going to look into Jupiter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach