Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:46 AM

43 posts, read 54,743 times

Advertisements

years ago i got a firearms permit in NJ from local police dept. wat are requirements in FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 AM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgolf View Post
years ago i got a firearms permit in NJ from local police dept. wat are requirements in FL?
you need to take a CCW class

Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM

80 posts, read 142,123 times
Can you retain a CCW license with a Felony from another state?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:36 AM

wats CCW class?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
you need to take a CCW class
To concealed carry you do. But to just own a gun? No you don't.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:37 AM

i was just thinking of a short barreled shotgun for home protection. is it hard to get that?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:00 AM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
To concealed carry you do. But to just own a gun? No you don't.
Read the question a permit in New Jersey is a CCW in Florida

Old 01-19-2015, 05:07 PM

65 posts, read 125,776 times
You probably need a FL license and that should be it, as far as I understand.
Same here in SC - license, gun. CCW course for Concealed. I can carry in FL with my SC permit as we have reciprocity
Even attempting to think about owning a gun in NJ is not worth the effort. They make it very difficult.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Quote:
You do NOT need a concealed carry permit to buy any weapon in Fla. But you will have to fill out the USG form (forgot the number off hand) stating that you are NOT a felon. If you can do that, and have no permit you will have to wait 5 days. No waiting if you have a Fla permit or your state has reciprocity with Fla.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:25 PM

230 posts, read 387,989 times
Quote:
Having an education level to spell common words properly and/or the courtesy and patience to type words in full would be a great help , especially when it comes to understanding applicable laws. Beyond that you need proof of citizenship, ability to pass the Federal instant background check, and the cash/credit/other means to pay for the firearm are all that is required to purchase one. Obtaining a CWP in Florida will require attending a class, demonstrating a minimum level of firearms proficiency on a range, paying a fee along with submitting a fingerprint card, passing another background check, and waiting for the state to issue the permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
Can you retain a CCW license with a Felony from another state?
I hope you're kidding. Convicted felons aren't even legally able to own a gun, let alone obtain a CWP. Unless your civil rights have been restored by a court...in which case you're in an area beyond my knowledge. Good luck...I have no idea if restoration of rights in another state applies in Florida. If that is the case I would recommend seeking legal council before attempting to purchase a firearm and/or obtain a CWP.

Quote:
i was just thinking of a short barreled shotgun for home protection. is it hard to get that?
That depends on what you mean by "short barreled shotgun." If you want to purchase the "legal" minimum (over 18"), the aforementioned requirements apply (proof of citizenship, background check, money). If you mean a *true* SBS (less than 18"), you've entered NFA territory. You will need to either obtain the permission of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county (Sheriff) *or* form an NFA trust, purchase the shotgun, (which will be held by the Class III dealer until you've completed all requirements), submit your trust or CLEO permission paperwork along with $200 and an NFA tax stamp application, wait for it all to clear, and then you can take delivery. And if you are serious about purchasing an SBS (or any NFA item), please take what I wrote as a guideline and not gospel truth, do your own research, and don't call me if you run afoul the law.

A side note...I can not recommend strongly enough any and all people in Florida who own a gun and/or have or wish to obtain a CWP purchase, read several times over, study, and thoroughly understand the fine book "Florida Firearms - Law, Use, & Ownership" by Jon Gutmacher. I believe the 8th edition is most current. You'd be hard-pressed to attend any gun show and not find it for sale there, or Amazon has 'em: http://www.amazon.com/Florida-Firear...a+firearms+law .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach