Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,200 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody- 1st post here. My wife and I currently live in Boynton Beach and are closing on a house on 1.15 acres in The Acreage next week. My question is in regards to wildlife- I've heard a couple stores from current and former Acreage residents about the occasional run in with various types of wildlife. Is there anybody that has first hand experience who could confirm or deny this? If it's true, is it a real problem and how do you deal with it? I am a concealed carrier so I always have at least my sidearm on me if I am not in my house so I am always protected but just wanted to know of any real world experience as far as wildlife is concerned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 PM

530 posts, read 668,153 times
You might want to google the Acreage and see what it has to say about various illnesses resulting from chemical spills. I was totally unaware of this until I read about it on the forum and then looked it up. Any issues with "wildlife" pale in comparison to the death and destruction going on medically in this town.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,865,358 times
What kind of wildlife are you concerned about that would require a firearm to be safe from?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 AM

298 posts, read 300,111 times
Maybe a swarm of mosquitos. Good luck shooting those.

Most everything else you shoot at will land you in jail. You might want to make yourself familiar with Florida's "10-20-life" laws.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 AM

530 posts, read 668,153 times
What happened to the OP? Where did he go?

If he comes back, he should very quickly research, beginning with:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...reage-c/nL4Zg/

Last edited by Southern Star; 02-04-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What kind of wildlife are you concerned about that would require a firearm to be safe from?
Bobcat, coyote, panther, etc...they are all in the Grassy Waters Preserve down the street from me. But that's besides the point because I have a firearm on me at all times except to sleep and shower...and even then it's within an arms reach.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
What happened to the OP? Where did he go?

If he comes back, he should very quickly research, beginning with:
Homeowners' suit blames Pratt & Whitney for Acreage cancer cluster | www.palmbeachpost.com
I'm not getting into this debate. I'm well aware of what the issue was and the never-ending litigation that surrounds it. I had extensive testing and analysis done on our water and all is well. In addition- we don't consume tap water (city or well) we have water bottles bought specifically for fresh water cooking/consumption so it's a moot point but thank you for your concern to point it out.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS89 View Post
Bobcat, coyote, panther, etc...they are all in the Grassy Waters Preserve down the street from me. But that's besides the point because I have a firearm on me at all times except to sleep and shower...and even then it's within an arms reach.
Interesting if those carnivores are around and ever make there way out. I don't think they'll get in your house though, even if you're asleep or in the shower. You're all safe if you're in the house and they're outside.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,846,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS89 View Post
Maybe you should live in a city in a high-rise. If you are THAT worried to sleep and spend every waking hour with a firearm strapped to your side for fear of wildlife, why go to a place where there may be possible wildlife?

When we lived in Loxahatchee (5+ years) we saw raccoons and the odd garden snake, squirrels, birds etc. No other "serious" wildlife. However, even if we did, we would have been happy - this is why we moved there, to be away from the sterile city and to enjoy whatever wildlife we can see.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Maybe you should live in a city in a high-rise. If you are THAT worried to sleep and spend every waking hour with a firearm strapped to your side for fear of wildlife, why go to a place where there may be possible wildlife?

When we lived in Loxahatchee (5+ years) we saw raccoons and the odd garden snake, squirrels, birds etc. No other "serious" wildlife. However, even if we did, we would have been happy - this is why we moved there, to be away from the sterile city and to enjoy whatever wildlife we can see.
I'm not sure about the coyotes, but aren't the cats protected? Quick Draw McGraw could find himself in some very expensive hot water if he's that paranoid that he starts blazing away if one is out looking for a snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach