Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a problem with this? Any issues with getting proper insurance coverage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
My daughter has these pipes in her home. Florida Citizen's Insurance told her that because of the pipe materials, they would not insure the home once it reaches 35 yrs old which is this year. She has had numerous leaks occur over the last several years. None have been catastrophic because the pipes run through a crawl space under the house.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM

96 posts, read 188,213 times
The class action dates for replacement have passed. Dow set aside 900 million for replacement. Polybutylene is still sold today and is still in use. It was not taken out of the plumbing code as an approved water supply pipe until the 2007 code. There are a few Insurers who will not insure it. The problem was not with the pipe; but, rather the crimping tool and crimp on the connection. After the crimping issue was resolved the failure rate dropped. Pex pipe had a similar issue in the early 2000's. Most homes that are 35 years old require a 4 point inspection and if no upgrades have been made to the electrical, plumbing, HVAC or roof, they are not insurable by most insurers. If your installation is post 1994 or 1995 I would not put too much concern into it. Other than the insurance issue stated by others.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,534 times
I am attempting to sell a Divosta home in Palm Beach Gardens that was built in 1993 and has polybutylene pipes and the buyer is requiring that all pipes be replaced. Can anyone tell me how they worked through a home sale once the existence of these pipes was discovered by the inspector.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I had them. Got the whole house repiped. Most of the neighbors did the same thing. Too many leaks. Ruined wood floors in many homes. They had to run the PVC through the attic and they dissuaded me from brass as they get pinhole leaks that are too hard to detect. Lifetime guarantee so what the heck. Costs $3,500. That was 5 years ago.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,629 times
Default DiVosta in Riverwalk

Does anyone know the home construction done on the DiVosta Community - Riverwalk of the Palm Beaches on Okeechobee Blvd and Jog in West Palm Beach? I want to find out if the homes there were built with Polybutylene pipes.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,629 times
I sold one in Boca. I got several quotes from different plumbing companies, chose a middle quote, and told the buyer I would give him that amount at closing for repair.

I am now trying to buy a Divosta Home built in 1996 in Riverwalk in West Palm Beach built in 1996 and can't get information on whether they built with these pipes in that development. The inspection was inconclusive.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 PM

355 posts, read 912,901 times
If your inspection was inconclusive:
A) your inspector doesn't know what he is doing
B) He saw the pipes and didn't want to "kill" the deal and not have the real estate agent recommend him again.
C) He thinks he is doing you a "favor" by claiming ignorance so you can get insurance. When in reality, your insurance company is going to request photos of the pipes whether its 3-6 months down the road. Then they will tell you they will only cover $10,000 worth of damage until you get them fixed.

My mother just went through this with her Divosta home.

The pipes are plastic, exactly like what you would find inside of a camper. You can look under the sink, the inlet for the water heater, washer, dryer in the attic. He would see this somewhere.

Press him on this, even if you have to call him.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,672 times
Question polybutylene pipes in st lucie west

Does anyone know if polybutylene pipes were used at Divosta community The Lakes at Sun Terrace in St. Lucie West, Florida. Our community was built in 1992
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach