Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 131,572 times

Advertisements

Are you ON board or NOT on board with All Aboard Florida? Why or why not?

All Aboard Florida | West Palm Beach | Fort Lauderdale | Moss & Associates

The main complaints I'm reading are the impact to neighborhoods (noise, traffic, businesses). Is All Aboard a commuter or freight train? I'm accustomed to the metro trains in the DC area which are electric (quiet), and do not impact traffic due to separate rail lines. In fact, most homes close to a metro station are usually higher valued.

How is All Aboard Florida different from Amtrak which currently connects Central to South FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

16,615 posts, read 10,815,554 times
I think it's got a lot of potential, and I'm really hoping it will work. It's slated to use the FEC rail line, is that correct? Last I checked (which has been awhile), this is a single-track line. Are there plans to double-track it? If not, then schedule reliability could become an issue.

It does seem odd that there's all that dead space between West Palm Beach and Orlando. I'm thinking that a station in Melbourne and maybe one in Fort Pierce would help bring in some additional ridership at very low marginal cost.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,492,441 times
Bring it on. I'm all for any kind of public transit if it works. Orlando's new SunRail is an example of this.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,495,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Are you ON board or NOT on board with All Aboard Florida? Why or why not?

All Aboard Florida | West Palm Beach | Fort Lauderdale | Moss & Associates

The main complaints I'm reading are the impact to neighborhoods (noise, traffic, businesses). Is All Aboard a commuter or freight train? I'm accustomed to the metro trains in the DC area which are electric (quiet), and do not impact traffic due to separate rail lines. In fact, most homes close to a metro station are usually higher valued.

How is All Aboard Florida different from Amtrak which currently connects Central to South FL?

It is a passenger train. There are only 4 stops, to keep the trip from becoming nothing more than glorified Amtrak (which takes forever because it stops). However, done right, smaller cities up the coast can find a way to integrate into Tri-Rail, or develop their own light rail connectivity between towns.

The opposition is absolutely shortsighted.

With AAF, the cities have opportunity to get quiet zones implemented (which is THE #1 nuisance of living near train tracks). They also get enhanced safety measures.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 PM

355 posts, read 917,191 times
I will speak on my area (Jupiter/Tequesta) who will see absolutely NO benefit to this train.
That being said, I will admit, I have not fully immersed myself on the ins/outs of the whole project

The biggest problem that I am aware of are the railroad trestle bridges. The one in Tequesta is like 80 years old and I don't think it can handle that many open/closes. Also the time the thing takes to open and close is very long and will leave people stranded on either side. This is a safety issue as well. The trains are supposed to add another 20+ trains to the current schedule, besides the noise for the people living nearby, the traffic is going to be a big issue as it is already hard to maneuver around town with the traffic, bridges AND the current train schedule.

The lack of quality public transit overall could be an issue. When you get to the train station, then what? It's not like there is a long line of taxis, buses or subways available.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,805,780 times
I believe the whole idea of the project is good and I think it could work as well bring another transportation option to the Miami metro area.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 AM

96 posts, read 189,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I will speak on my area (Jupiter/Tequesta) who will see absolutely NO benefit to this train.
That being said, I will admit, I have not fully immersed myself on the ins/outs of the whole project

The biggest problem that I am aware of are the railroad trestle bridges. The one in Tequesta is like 80 years old and I don't think it can handle that many open/closes. Also the time the thing takes to open and close is very long and will leave people stranded on either side. This is a safety issue as well. The trains are supposed to add another 20+ trains to the current schedule, besides the noise for the people living nearby, the traffic is going to be a big issue as it is already hard to maneuver around town with the traffic, bridges AND the current train schedule.

The lack of quality public transit overall could be an issue. When you get to the train station, then what? It's not like there is a long line of taxis, buses or subways available.

Actually, the possible benefit to the Jupiter/Tequesta area is less traffic on 95 and the turnpike. But only if people use it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 AM

355 posts, read 917,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailmarcarelli View Post
Actually, the possible benefit to the Jupiter/Tequesta area is less traffic on 95 and the turnpike. But only if people use it.
The local traffic issue is going to be a bigger problem due to the additional train crossing closings. I'm not sure I-95 congestion relief is a direct benefit to the overall local community.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM

100 posts, read 131,572 times
Pros: It will allow people to live further from work, and support public transportation for locals. Also, makes it easier to hop on the train for a day trip since there are 31 schedule trains running daily.
More jobs to support the station/rail and possible value increase for homes with easy access to the stations.

I have relatives in Orlando who expressed they'd visit SoFl more often if a quicker transportation method exists (parking in SoBe Miami is very pricey). This would certainly fit the bill.

Cons: Noise? Not sure if it's going to be quiet. Traffic impact at crossing stations.

Since it looks like the project is moving forward, will just have to wait and see the impact to the surrounding communities.
I am hopeful this will be a positive force to the overall SoFl economy.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,492,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Pros: It will allow people to live further from work, and support public transportation for locals. Also, makes it easier to hop on the train for a day trip since there are 31 schedule trains running daily.
More jobs to support the station/rail and possible value increase for homes with easy access to the stations.

I have relatives in Orlando who expressed they'd visit SoFl more often if a quicker transportation method exists (parking in SoBe Miami is very pricey). This would certainly fit the bill.

Cons: Noise? Not sure if it's going to be quiet. Traffic impact at crossing stations.

Since it looks like the project is moving forward, will just have to wait and see the impact to the surrounding communities.
I am hopeful this will be a positive force to the overall SoFl economy.
I'm honestly surprised stuff like this gets funded. I love taking public transit, but you don't really get much of that in Florida. So it's gonna be great. And anything is better than Amtrak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach