Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,721,826 times

Advertisements

Your uncle is a blow-hard and no one in your family should listen to him... was he drunk when he said this?

While rising sea levels are a real threat to FL.... I wouldn't go so far as to say "in 10 years it'll be under water"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 04:58 PM

8,082 posts, read 4,764,422 times
I recall one of my middle-school teachers sounding the alarm about the planet being doomed. He went on and on about how we'd all be up the creek without a paddle unless something was done in the "next ten years" to stop global cooling. This was the early 1980s, and he was convinced we were all going to have to move south (Florida, I guess) to avoid the glaciers that would cover north Georgia by 1995. By high school, I had a teacher getting similarly upset about the hole(s) in the ozone layer, predicting skin cancer would kill more people than heart attacks within a few years, and we'd all have to wear long sleeves, etc. every time we went out. Of course in college (mid-1990s), Al Gore was telling me all the arctic ice would disappear by 2010, so I figured my middle-school teacher would finally be able to move back to north Georgia to avoid the rising seas. That's the trouble with doomsday predictions; we tend to outlive our predicted fates and forget we were ever entertaining such ideas.

Move where you want to live, and enjoy life. Letting the media-created crisis du jour dictate how you live will only make you miss out on all life has to offer.

Unless that rogue asteroid I read about makes this whole discussion a moot point.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM

623 posts, read 969,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is he a coastal geologist, a real estate expert or one of those guys who precedes every comment with "they say...?"
It's called misinformation

Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM

154 posts, read 389,673 times
Wow lots of experts here but yes Florida is going underwater not sure how fast it could be next summer! just takes a hell of a hurricane!
That said Miami is and has been working on this problem for the past several years !
Just google any beach cams as Florida has had NO MAJOR HURICANES for the past years but look the beaches are gone!
I had several hundred feet to the ocean out my front door now its 100' to the beach scrub line , oh yes the Na Sayers will say the beach erosion is common with the storms out of the NE yes it is but water levels are forcing folks on the Intra costal to top Sea wall deck plates as of high tides they are close to broaching!
10 years or 10 months its not how long its how soon! issuance company's are resetting flood zones, I self insure my personal residence so I am not worried it blows! it goes ! it just the others will see rates rise and they are I know that on my income property's, the oceans rise & fall is a not well understood thing and I am sure there are soooo many experts out there that have all the answers all I can say you pay to live in Paradise!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,187,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive77mmwet View Post
Wow lots of experts here but yes Florida is going underwater not sure how fast it could be next summer! just takes a hell of a hurricane!
That said Miami is and has been working on this problem for the past several years !
Just google any beach cams as Florida has had NO MAJOR HURICANES for the past years but look the beaches are gone!
I had several hundred feet to the ocean out my front door now its 100' to the beach scrub line , oh yes the Na Sayers will say the beach erosion is common with the storms out of the NE yes it is but water levels are forcing folks on the Intra costal to top Sea wall deck plates as of high tides they are close to broaching!
10 years or 10 months its not how long its how soon! issuance company's are resetting flood zones, I self insure my personal residence so I am not worried it blows! it goes ! it just the others will see rates rise and they are I know that on my income property's, the oceans rise & fall is a not well understood thing and I am sure there are soooo many experts out there that have all the answers all I can say you pay to live in Paradise!
Do you have the impression that these changes are noticed by the majority of FL residents? That the changes are affecting RE prices?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:09 PM

96 posts, read 188,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Do you have the impression that these changes are noticed by the majority of FL residents? That the changes are affecting RE prices?
No, actually, a lot a people still want to live near the ocean here. No one I know is fleeing the area because they are worried it will be underwater or that their homes will lose value. New construction in Miami is out of control. It is beautiful here year round so many people are willing to take the risk.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:53 AM

216 posts, read 329,055 times
Bunk.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,073,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire123 View Post
Hi everyone to make a long story short. My mother is divorcing her husband and we are deciding to relocate from long Island. South Florida looks awesome and always had it in mind in the future specifically the Boca Raton area.

We would hopefully look into going down there this summer but my UNCLE keeps on telling her boca raton and all of south florida will be underwater and its an extremely bad finical decision to do. Is that true at all??? He keeps saying their is so no hope for florida
No, it's not true. Well, not anymore true than a giant worm coming out of the NYC sewer system and devouring the entire city.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,043,765 times
If a giant worm tried to move into the NYC sewer system, the rats and gators would eat it before it got anywhere.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,434,312 times
Hmm I hope to have waterfront property for my waning years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach