Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 4,394,866 times
Reputation: 1536

Advertisements

Firstly, I love Florida, south Florida. However.
According to Climatologists estimations, at the current rate of global warming-in the next one hundred years, the sea level will rise 10 feet all across the earth. This would enundate much of Florida, not just Boca Raton.
This is not just mere prognostication friends, this is happening now, as we write. Glaciers receding, polar ice caps shrinking; the enormous glaciers at the poles calving off enormous segments of their surfaces.
The edge of Antartical is receding. Visibly. These scientists are extrememly alarmed about this. These are unprecedented developments.
Very fortunately, this past year has not seen a rise in our planets mean temperature. The first in many, many years. Perhaps through human efforts this has changed. The ever growing population of rising industrializing countries also means the ever growing consumption of fossil fuels. India, China, Brazil. This of course will produce global warming through the Greenhouse effect.The bouncing of sunlight back and forth between the atmosphere and earth surface. There are even more effects from this warming of the earth surface- drought, severe disturbances in the climatological balance, means more drought, more severe atmospheric disturbances from above too - Hurricanes, monsoons etc. This data is irrefutable now.
The GOP'rs in the U.S. GOvt refused to believe and refuted this climatologists research data, no matter how accurate and telling it was, they scoffed at the idea. Business interests influenced this political stance.
Still does.
Even numerous scientists refused to believe any of it, rebutted this collected scientific data with "these temperatures are within the normal range of climate temperature shifts for the earth". All this was ? Merely; A well prepared, worded and careful political response to keep the EPA at bay and American citizens quiet. There has been an about face now. By the The GOP? Nah....
Now this scientific data and these conclusions are nearly universally accepted by scientists and politicians.
95%. Progress is being made, corporate interests be damned, the production of CO 2 has been slowed. Emission controls on cars, factories, industries, particularly coal burning electrical generating plants, etc is working.
Coal fired plants are being shutdown across the country amid the shrieking, moaning, and weeping of coal backed interests in this country. Hilarious it is.
On top of this coal mines have produced extreme local environmental disasters. Horrid other worldly scenes of ruin.
Texas has currently shutdown many coal fired facilities down. Extreme pollution, extreme pollution in that bastion of conservatism, Texas. Even they have seen the light amid the ruins of their once pristine environment surrounding some of the plants. This Data and story is available online in "Texas Monthly" a very popular and conservative magazine publication there. A complete mess , was produced south of Dallas. That story of ruin is an amazing read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
 
12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Reputation: 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire123 View Post

We would hopefully look into going down there this summer but my UNCLE keeps on telling her boca raton and all of south florida will be underwater and its an extremely bad finical decision to do. Is that true at all??? He keeps saying their is so no hope for florida
I would guess that your uncle is not the smartest person in the family. I would guess he's easily influenced by urban legends too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach
216 posts, read 328,367 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Firstly, I love Florida, south Florida. However.
According to Climatologists estimations, at the current rate of global warming-in the next one hundred years, the sea level will rise 10 feet all across the earth. This would enundate much of Florida, not just Boca Raton.
This is not just mere prognostication friends, this is happening now, as we write. Glaciers receding, polar ice caps shrinking; the enormous glaciers at the poles calving off enormous segments of their surfaces.
The edge of Antartical is receding. Visibly. These scientists are extrememly alarmed about this. These are unprecedented developments.
Very fortunately, this past year has not seen a rise in our planets mean temperature. The first in many, many years. Perhaps through human efforts this has changed. The ever growing population of rising industrializing countries also means the ever growing consumption of fossil fuels. India, China, Brazil. This of course will produce global warming through the Greenhouse effect.The bouncing of sunlight back and forth between the atmosphere and earth surface. There are even more effects from this warming of the earth surface- drought, severe disturbances in the climatological balance, means more drought, more severe atmospheric disturbances from above too - Hurricanes, monsoons etc. This data is irrefutable now.
The GOP'rs in the U.S. GOvt refused to believe and refuted this climatologists research data, no matter how accurate and telling it was, they scoffed at the idea. Business interests influenced this political stance.
Still does.
Even numerous scientists refused to believe any of it, rebutted this collected scientific data with "these temperatures are within the normal range of climate temperature shifts for the earth". All this was ? Merely; A well prepared, worded and careful political response to keep the EPA at bay and American citizens quiet. There has been an about face now. By the The GOP? Nah....
Now this scientific data and these conclusions are nearly universally accepted by scientists and politicians.
95%. Progress is being made, corporate interests be damned, the production of CO 2 has been slowed. Emission controls on cars, factories, industries, particularly coal burning electrical generating plants, etc is working.
Coal fired plants are being shutdown across the country amid the shrieking, moaning, and weeping of coal backed interests in this country. Hilarious it is.
On top of this coal mines have produced extreme local environmental disasters. Horrid other worldly scenes of ruin.
Texas has currently shutdown many coal fired facilities down. Extreme pollution, extreme pollution in that bastion of conservatism, Texas. Even they have seen the light amid the ruins of their once pristine environment surrounding some of the plants. This Data and story is available online in "Texas Monthly" a very popular and conservative magazine publication there. A complete mess , was produced south of Dallas. That story of ruin is an amazing read.
Regardless of what you say, the science is not settled. Many prominent scientists do not agree with your belief at all. Climate may be changing as it ALWAYS has but how much of it due to mankind is simply not known. Recall that 11,00 years ago we were in an ice age. Not that long ago in geologic terms. The 1400's were hotter than now. So climate has changed drastically on its own without influence by man. All the current alarmist warming computer models have failed to predict the current 10 year "lull" in warming that is if we even know what the average surface temperature really is. Much doubt has been cast on the current temperature numbers and the frequent "adjustments" that have been made to them. It is sometimes difficult to have a rationale discussion on this topic as it has taken on an almost religious tenor. I respect your belief and acknowledge it is the prominent viewpoint but to ignore and dismiss the other side is not the scientific way and relies on emotional belief rather than logical hypothesis testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,682 posts, read 2,183,175 times
Reputation: 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
Regardless of what you say, the science is not settled. Many prominent scientists do not agree with your belief at all. Climate may be changing as it ALWAYS has but how much of it due to mankind is simply not known. Recall that 11,00 years ago we were in an ice age. Not that long ago in geologic terms. The 1400's were hotter than now. So climate has changed drastically on its own without influence by man. All the current alarmist warming computer models have failed to predict the current 10 year "lull" in warming that is if we even know what the average surface temperature really is. Much doubt has been cast on the current temperature numbers and the frequent "adjustments" that have been made to them. It is sometimes difficult to have a rationale discussion on this topic as it has taken on an almost religious tenor. I respect your belief and acknowledge it is the prominent viewpoint but to ignore and dismiss the other side is not the scientific way and relies on emotional belief rather than logical hypothesis testing.
I think the OP's issue was whether inundation was going to be a problem in FL in general -- not whether it is a result of human activity or natural forces. There most certainly is a debate about the causes of climate change. However, at this point there is little debate about whether climate is changing and sea levels are rising. That it may not happen at a consistent rate does not disprove such observations as the shrinking of the Antarctic icecap, and worldwide recession of glaciers.

Chances are these changes are too slow to affect most folks who are planning to retire in the State, but younger people may want to think twice about buying property in certain areas. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a reason why Miami Beach is investing millions in municipal water pumps. Just don't ask a realtor or a politician if there are real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
 
232 posts, read 774,105 times
Reputation: 85
Palm Beach county is far better off (than Broward and Dade) in concerns of water rising). In regards to hurricanes, tsunamis etc, it doesn't matter which coastal town you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 4,394,866 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Au Contraire,

It is best to err on the side of caution. Recalling an Ice age? Funny as hell.
The ice ages are theory too.
It is an scientifically accepted, proven fact that the earth is warming at an accelerated pace. Core sampling of glacial ice proves this on top of the accelerated rate of earth's glacial melt off. Sea levels are rising already.
This has nothing to do with religious fervor or Florida being underwater in 10 years.
Pair this with the constant clearing and destruction by fire of South American rain forests and the end result is inevitable. You believe all of this destruction is harming nothing ? Has no side effect?
Asthma in children on the increase is yet another fact. Look at these data, statistics. Kids that live in large metropolitan areas have far higher incidences of asthma.
The rain forests are the earth's atmospheric scrubber. The lungs of the earth. These forests take in vast amounts of CO 2 , remove it from the air. This is a fact of immense concern to science.There are too many man made catastrophic changes in the earth's ecosystem to hide one's head in the sand any longer. Pollution is real and it is spreading to the atmosphere. If you do not get it , you do not get it.
Ever hear of the size of the debris islands in the earth's oceans, made of plastic? Thousands of square miles of the Pacific Ocean tangled in floating plastic.
If one does not understand this constant destruction, this man-made annihlation of the earth surface and environment, then one simply does not understand the data and consequences of human overpopulation. This is way past the time of any ozone depletion theories or soon to be, or in the past , ice ages. Simplistic,
overly simplistic.

I do not say or write this. It is not me. 95% of environmental scientists say this. Skeptical science has had to give way to hard fact and data collection. There is no way to ignore this data and keep on denying it all and remain impartial and obstructionist. It is or is not.
Which of these prominent scientists you write of can disprove this. How? What are their names?
Back your baloney with some real names and statistics, otherwise this post is mere gum flapping.
Yet - More hot air released into the atmosphere. Keep quiet, you are making it worse is all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
Regardless of what you say, the science is not settled. Many prominent scientists do not agree with your belief at all. Climate may be changing as it ALWAYS has but how much of it due to mankind is simply not known. Recall that 11,00 years ago we were in an ice age. Not that long ago in geologic terms. The 1400's were hotter than now. So climate has changed drastically on its own without influence by man. All the current alarmist warming computer models have failed to predict the current 10 year "lull" in warming that is if we even know what the average surface temperature really is. Much doubt has been cast on the current temperature numbers and the frequent "adjustments" that have been made to them. It is sometimes difficult to have a rationale discussion on this topic as it has taken on an almost religious tenor. I respect your belief and acknowledge it is the prominent viewpoint but to ignore and dismiss the other side is not the scientific way and relies on emotional belief rather than logical hypothesis testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
 
12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Reputation: 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
It is best to err on the side of caution. Recalling an Ice age? Funny as hell.
The ice ages are theory too.
It is an scientifically accepted, proven fact that the earth is warming at an accelerated pace. Core sampling of glacial ice proves this on top of the accelerated rate of earth's glacial melt off. Sea levels are rising already.
This has nothing to do with religious fervor or Florida being underwater in 10 years.
Pair this with the constant clearing and destruction by fire of South American rain forests and the end result is inevitable. You believe all of this destruction is harming nothing ? Has no side effect?
Asthma in children on the increase is yet another fact. Look at these data, statistics. Kids that live in large metropolitan areas have far higher incidences of asthma.
The rain forests are the earth's atmospheric scrubber. The lungs of the earth. These forests take in vast amounts of CO 2 , remove it from the air. This is a fact of immense concern to science.There are too many man made catastrophic changes in the earth's ecosystem to hide one's head in the sand any longer. Pollution is real and it is spreading to the atmosphere. If you do not get it , you do not get it.
Ever hear of the size of the debris islands in the earth's oceans, made of plastic? Thousands of square miles of the Pacific Ocean tangled in floating plastic.
If one does not understand this constant destruction, this man-made annihlation of the earth surface and environment, then one simply does not understand the data and consequences of human overpopulation. This is way past the time of any ozone depletion theories or soon to be, or in the past , ice ages. Simplistic,
overly simplistic.

I do not say or write this. It is not me. 95% of environmental scientists say this. Skeptical science has had to give way to hard fact and data collection. There is no way to ignore this data and keep on denying it all and remain impartial and obstructionist. It is or is not.
Which of these prominent scientists you write of can disprove this. How? What are their names?
Back your baloney with some real names and statistics, otherwise this post is mere gum flapping.
Yet - More hot air released into the atmosphere. Keep quiet, you are making it worse is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 PM
 
3,763 posts, read 5,866,832 times
Reputation: 5560
If I were you, I would start learning Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 05:07 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach
216 posts, read 328,367 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
It is best to err on the side of caution. Recalling an Ice age? Funny as hell.
The ice ages are theory too.
It is an scientifically accepted, proven fact that the earth is warming at an accelerated pace. Core sampling of glacial ice proves this on top of the accelerated rate of earth's glacial melt off. Sea levels are rising already.
This has nothing to do with religious fervor or Florida being underwater in 10 years.
Pair this with the constant clearing and destruction by fire of South American rain forests and the end result is inevitable. You believe all of this destruction is harming nothing ? Has no side effect?
Asthma in children on the increase is yet another fact. Look at these data, statistics. Kids that live in large metropolitan areas have far higher incidences of asthma.
The rain forests are the earth's atmospheric scrubber. The lungs of the earth. These forests take in vast amounts of CO 2 , remove it from the air. This is a fact of immense concern to science.There are too many man made catastrophic changes in the earth's ecosystem to hide one's head in the sand any longer. Pollution is real and it is spreading to the atmosphere. If you do not get it , you do not get it.
Ever hear of the size of the debris islands in the earth's oceans, made of plastic? Thousands of square miles of the Pacific Ocean tangled in floating plastic.
If one does not understand this constant destruction, this man-made annihlation of the earth surface and environment, then one simply does not understand the data and consequences of human overpopulation. This is way past the time of any ozone depletion theories or soon to be, or in the past , ice ages. Simplistic,
overly simplistic.

I do not say or write this. It is not me. 95% of environmental scientists say this. Skeptical science has had to give way to hard fact and data collection. There is no way to ignore this data and keep on denying it all and remain impartial and obstructionist. It is or is not.
Which of these prominent scientists you write of can disprove this. How? What are their names?
Back your baloney with some real names and statistics, otherwise this post is mere gum flapping.
Yet - More hot air released into the atmosphere. Keep quiet, you are making it worse is all.
To wrap this up as I know this thread will not resolve anything. Here are two links with the names and credentials of scientists that do not go along with your belief. As you can see this is a large and well educated list of scientists.

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


31, 487 American scientist signed this petition: http://www.petitionproject.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 05:00 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 4,394,866 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Wrap up a thread ?

Great Post! 31, 487 scientists signed that pollution "has not an effect" on the environment?
That is a lot of scientists. I am somewhat swayed by this post , but my opinion in the facts of
climatological data has not been swayed.
That is one hell of a huge monstrous pile of B.S. Like Godzilla except ****zilla.
What are there only 31,488 scientists in the U.S.? Much of this is politically oriented opinion. Like lawyers
whom represent one side or another depending on whom is paying- these opinions will sway toward the direction of money.
I still see no facts or statistics to render any conclusions contrary to what is happening currently
on this Blue Planet.
Even- think tanks produce politically biased results.
Sea levels are rising, glaciers thousands of years old; nearly gone. This is a fact of great consternation to climatologists. Habitat for polar bears, probably the most immediate tragic product of this global warming scenario- is rapidly disappearing. Perhaps these animals will go the way of other extinct species. Except for in zoos.
This an entirely acceptable scenario, global warming. Volcanic eruptions and clouds ejected by asteroid strikes have both caused disruptions in earth's climate. In recorded history. Volcanic dust clouds ejected into the atmosphere blocked the sunilght that struck earth's surface resulting in drought and caused mass famine in the nineteenth century.
The planet Venus- with a surface surface temperature of 500 degrees farenheit -from this greenhouse effect. Sunlight is trapped within the cloudy Venusian atmosphere, the place is an oven...
Florida is not threatened with inundation in our lifetimes. We will change the surface of the earth
from our tinkering with earth's balance of nature, eventually. Am I thinking that an asteroid will
hit the earth. NO.
Will the interminable spewing of carbon molecules into the atmosphere by billions of earth inhabitants do harm ? Yes. Are there results that prove- this is occurring already? Yes. More to prove it , than theories to disprove it.
The draining of the earth's resources is ongoing. The destruction wrought in these endeavors is history.
The environmental destruction of this continent by corporate interests has been stopped many, many times. If you do not get it, do not get it, you go ahead and believe those opinions.
Just go along.
I, however would not believe everything produced on the internet. If I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
To wrap this up as I know this thread will not resolve anything. Here are two links with the names and credentials of scientists that do not go along with your belief. As you can see this is a large and well educated list of scientists.

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


31, 487 American scientist signed this petition: http://www.petitionproject.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top