Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,534 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone to make a long story short. My mother is divorcing her husband and we are deciding to relocate from long Island. South Florida looks awesome and always had it in mind in the future specifically the Boca Raton area.

We would hopefully look into going down there this summer but my UNCLE keeps on telling her boca raton and all of south florida will be underwater and its an extremely bad finical decision to do. Is that true at all??? He keeps saying their is so no hope for florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,770 times
You can say the same thing for NYC but know one ever talks about that. But no unless your uncle is God then I don't think you can predict what is going to happen in the future.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 AM

355 posts, read 913,870 times
I'd be more worried with rising sea levels living in NY

Earthquakes can break off California, decimate Oregon. Yellowstone could erupt and we are all SOL.

Sounds like he just wants to keep her close.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 AM

536 posts, read 845,867 times
fire123, I remember reading somewhere that the climate change has _not_ yet affected S Florida and that the first effects have been stronger in the NE USA.

As the level of the ocean continues to rise, it could indeed be a serious problem for Boca, however, which is just about at sea level.

If you do look at Boca, I recommend houses just east of Military Trail, the ridge where the US Army fought the Seminole and Miccosukee (sp?) in the 19th century. West of Military Trail might seem the better choice, but in most places, Military Trail marks the boundary between the City of Boca Raton and unincorporated Palm Beach County, where the services are spotty, or so I found when I rented out there.

Military Trail is "high ground" for Florida. Fourth Avenue in East Boca is also on a smaller ridge.

I admit that I am concerned enough about it (and, of course, about the occasional bad hurricane) that I did not buy a nice condo on the ocean but purchased a house about 3 miles west, and about 1 mile west of that "High Street" ridge, which makes a barrier against storm surges.

So far, superstorms such as "Sandy" have been hitting further north on the east coast. They've had a more dramatic increase both in heat and cold (most of my family is up there). For us, I would say there are hotter summers than I remember down here now; and in 2010 or 2011 we had (for S FL) a very cold winter.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Scientists have been saying this for years.
Last I heard was that in (20) years, Orlando will be "South Florida".

Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,182,366 times
I've read that rising sea levels will negatively impact water quality in south FL long before residents need to start worrying about finding themselves under water. There's also concern that storm surges will be higher. There are videos on YT showing & discussing flooding in Miami Beach, even in the absence of storms (there's a reason why they are installing expensive pumps).

My main concern would be the effect on real estate values over time; though it seems FL RE is on an upswing again, even with increases in flood insurance costs.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Maybe your uncle means "underwater" in the fiscal sense; as in, worth less than what you owe on it.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Scientists have been saying this for years.
Last I heard was that in (20) years, Orlando will be "South Florida".
Ha, now that's funny. I guess we're all in trouble either way!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Is he a coastal geologist, a real estate expert or one of those guys who precedes every comment with "they say...?"

Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
I"m sure they will build sea walls or do what they have to so should a problem happen. I don't anticipate any problems in 10 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach