U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 AM

100 posts, read 121,451 times

Advertisements

What would you tell a friend who was planning on a move to WPC? What do you like and dislike about the area? Are you from here or did you relocate and if the latter, any surprises that you care to share?

I live in the DC suburbs, have since 1990 (a few years stint in VA and Orlando for school). I am tired of the cold gray long winters and no access to beaches.
I long to be able to go to the beach, or bask in a nice warm day, or chat with friendly locals.
My ideal place is Jupiter, FL. It is SO beautiful, folks are friendly, the lifestyle, even the air smells nice (like the ocean!).

I love my job and worry WPC doesn't have the same job opportunities (IT). When I lived in Orlando, good paying professional jobs were hard to come by. But I so miss the warm winters, ocean, and lifestyle of a warmer laid-back climate.

We bought a condo for our retirement in North Palm Beach, but I want to move soon, like in 2 years.
But I also read online that most ppl who relocate to FL end up moving back, or warnings not to move to FL (like this one http://moveanywherebutflorida.com/).Any validity to this or are you happy where you are?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,106,801 times
WPC?

I assume you mean WPB... West Palm Beach?

Not sure what IT you're in, but if you're a programmer, look into places like NextEra Energy. Hook up with a recruiter that can provide you with leads.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:18 PM

100 posts, read 121,451 times
Woops, sorry I meant West Palm Beach (and surrounding areas). I'm in Project Management/Quality Assurance for IT. When the time comes, I'll look into staffing places/recruiter.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM

96 posts, read 175,230 times
I relocated here 10.5 years ago. Good paying jobs for experienced workers are difficult to come by as there are very few large corporations. NextEra Energy uses a lot of contract programmers, some offshore, and not too many-full time regular programmers. Is there a chance you can work remotely with your current employer? I have been working mostly contract work since I have been here. Perhaps it is the area or maybe the times. I am guessing it is a little of both. Honestly, it is a tough employment market for an experienced professional. I like living here, however, and have managed to make decent money without a full-time regular job.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,581,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
What would you tell a friend who was planning on a move to WPC? What do you like and dislike about the area? Are you from here or did you relocate and if the latter, any surprises that you care to share?

I live in the DC suburbs, have since 1990 (a few years stint in VA and Orlando for school). I am tired of the cold gray long winters and no access to beaches.
I long to be able to go to the beach, or bask in a nice warm day, or chat with friendly locals.
My ideal place is Jupiter, FL. It is SO beautiful, folks are friendly, the lifestyle, even the air smells nice (like the ocean!).

I love my job and worry WPC doesn't have the same job opportunities (IT). When I lived in Orlando, good paying professional jobs were hard to come by. But I so miss the warm winters, ocean, and lifestyle of a warmer laid-back climate.

We bought a condo for our retirement in North Palm Beach, but I want to move soon, like in 2 years.
But I also read online that most ppl who relocate to FL end up moving back, or warnings not to move to FL (like this one http://moveanywherebutflorida.com/).Any validity to this or are you happy where you are?
Times have changed and lot of companies have moved here you just start putting in applications and have the right contacts. Also lots of people work from now days so it allows for better flexibility in where people move. Lots of startups are screaming for new talent so I don't think you should have trouble finding one if you have the right skills. Lastly large companies don't run the world small companies do because only so many become major fortune 500 list types just because of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach