Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medha311 View Post
I'm in your same boat with kids ages 4 and 8 and we've spent ALL week looking at different communities in Boca, mostly West Boca and am so frustrated. I want a feel like the Canyons has (up in Boynton) or the City of Parkland - with kids everywhere and families everywhere but every community I've seen in boca so far - including my favorite (Santa Barbara) all are 90% retirees. The realtor, legally, isn't allowed to steer me away or toward just based on demographics but when the "card room" in the clubhouse is more utilized than the swimming pool and there's no playground or tot lot on site, that's a hint.
We're doing private school so the schools aren't an issue but want a community village of families right in Boca and having a hard time finding it! I love the St. Andrews area, something not too far off of Glades but willing to go anywhere.... and spend anything.... (well, not anything....) <sigh>
Have you looked in the Bridges community The Bridges in Delray Beach, Florida - A GL Homes Community. Those seem to have a mix of ages with families and older residents. I'm not sure any of them have a playground though but I read there are activities for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
I could be wrong about this; I lived in very south Boca at Boca Bend Marina (across the bridge from Deerfield Beach) from 2007-2009 and it was not especially 'upscale' -- had a horrible experience with a downstairs neighbor tripping on meth, etc. The landlord left much to be desired - ignored massive termite infestation; pool and gym maintenance were non-existent; first month in August the central A/C did not work at all. I will say this, though: the Boca Raton library and access to parks, including ocean beaches, is something to consider having, and to do that, you have to be in the Boca city limits. I wouldn't consider living in Boca outside of them for those reasons.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 PM

48 posts, read 67,832 times
You can't beat the Palm Beach County library system. It has 2 branches in West Boca; one is off of Glades Road and the other is on Route 441 near Yamato. You can also use the Hagen Ranch Road branch in western Delray, and there's another branch in western Boynton. I'm sure you can find anything you want at these branches, including children's reading times. Also, there is the South County Park in western Boca; it's huge and has a dog park, a newer golf course, an amphitheater, nature walk, water park, etc. These are all part of unincorporated Palm Beach County, not the City of Boca Raton. The only thing we don't have that Boca proper does is the beach. You can use at least one of the Boca beaches but there's a fee. I like western (unincorporated) Boca because it just feels less congested, but it's all beautiful.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 PM

387 posts, read 515,461 times
One observation is that real estate prices are looking up. Still a bargain, compared to the bubble prices of 10 years ago. Florida is just a great state to live in, & Boca is the cream of the crop on the East coast.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
I did look at the Bridges and the Oaks, there's only 1 available and they won't rent it. asking price over $800K so think anyone in those two won't rent for a year for someone to just "check out" the area.
I found one in Santa Barbara but didn't see any families in there. Same with the Woods and the Isles. My next idea is the Canyons up by the border of Boynton...

Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM

48 posts, read 67,832 times
Have you checked out The Shores at Boca Raton off Yamato, west of 441, or Boca Isles North and South (they're related, but separate developments with entrances on Cain)? I live in one of these developments, and while I'm older, I see plenty of kids around. I see them playing on the tennis courts and on their bikes. The only negative is that these developments feed into Olympic Heights, but most people manage to get their kids into one of the magnet programs or into private schools. Also, don't think the per-capita income is lower because of this - Saturnia, The Oaks, and even Long Lake Estates feed into Olympic Heights. Long Lake Estates is where Romney made his infamous 47% speech; the houses can go for several million dollars there. The Bridges and 7 Bridges in unincorporated Delray also feed into Olympic Heights.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,941 times
Does any one have any opinions about mission bay? And sandpiper elem?.How about Boca Falls? And waters edge elementary?. I am still confused whether to go west or Central it's all about schools and family..and safety of course. Thanks

Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 13,941 times
Default Mission Bay?

Anybody have anything to say about Mission bay? I like the houses there but not sure about the neighborhood ?or sandpiper? What about Boca Falls? And Waters edge? Good schools,family's, and safety ?. Still confused west or central. Looking to rent first. Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 06:32 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
I'm in your same boat with kids ages 4 and 8 and we've spent ALL week looking at different communities in Boca, mostly West Boca and am so frustrated. I want a feel like the Canyons has (up in Boynton) or the City of Parkland - with kids everywhere and families everywhere but every community I've seen in boca so far - including my favorite (Santa Barbara) all are 90% retirees. The realtor, legally, isn't allowed to steer me away or toward just based on demographics but when the "card room" in the clubhouse is more utilized than the swimming pool and there's no playground or tot lot on site, that's a hint.
We're doing private school so the schools aren't an issue but want a community village of families right in Boca and having a hard time finding it! I love the St. Andrews area, something not too far off of Glades but willing to go anywhere.... and spend anything.... (well, not anything....) <sigh>

Santa Barbara is older and it was lousy construction when new.....you aren't missing anything there!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,500 times
Quote:
I did look at the Bridges and the Oaks, there's only 1 available and they won't rent it. asking price over $800K so think anyone in those two won't rent for a year for someone to just "check out" the area.
I found one in Santa Barbara but didn't see any families in there. Same with the Woods and the Isles. My next idea is the Canyons up by the border of Boynton...

I just did a quick search and I bet if you speak to a realtor there are more but I found 3 rentals in the Bridges. You stated you like the area around St Andrews in Boca? That area has a lot of families in the subs. Did you state how much you want to spend for a rental and for then a purchase? Do you want a country club community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach