Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 18,047 times

Advertisements

My wife and 3 kids are trying decide between Journeys End and Canyon Lakes - I like the models better in Journey's end but my wife is concerned that the surrounding area is too rough? Is the Canyons really that much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 PM

293 posts, read 500,373 times
no it is not, There is nothing unsafe or wrong with the area around Journey's end, not sure why she would be concerned. Canyons is way over priced besides.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 18,047 times
How a bout the middle high & elementary schools? I have a child in each

Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Journeys end

9 out of 10
Coral Reef Elementary (assigned)
PK-5
0.5 mi

7 out of 10
Woodlands Middle (assigned)
6-8
2.6 mi

8 out of 10
Park Vista Community High (assigned)
9-12
1.4 mi

horrible school assignment for Canyons, and Canyon school assignment varies by exact address. but if you are living in Canyon private or charter schools is probably the way to go

let me ask you why you are considering only those 2? if you desire good schools western lake worth, Journeys End, Lake Charleston or Smith Farms are all good. Also have you considered Wellington?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 42,488 times
I'm a Canyon resident and we looked at Journey's end before buying and there is no comparison. The 4 Canyons, we are a very tight knit community regardless of which Canyon you live in. The person commenting above is obviously not a resident, the schools don't vary by address. Everyone goes to Sunset Palms Elementary, one of the best in area. For middle/high there is the Charter Somerset Canyons or the assigned Odyssey Middle and Olympic High in Boca. The Canyon residents were able to have a charter school approved by Palm Beach County, that is how tight we are, we all work together to get what we want. We are now working on having a park approved right next to the elementary school. We also have a Town Center and tons of classes in the Canyons, everything from basketball to dance. If you are looking for a small town feel in a big city, I cannot recommend my neighborhood and community enough.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 AM

I agree AnnN there is no comparison. Canyon homes are newer and therefore nicer. But I stand by what I stated, Canyon is way overpriced and no value for your money, and in fact horrible value for your money. If you have no choice but to live in Boynton and you are not looking for a 55 plus community, then Canyon is the on;ly game in town. it is a one horse show.

and you are correct I am not a resident there but know plenty of folks who are. I did look there before I purchased and thankfully I did my homework and was able to quickly learn to avoid Canyon's and choose another place to live, ie Boca or Wellington because it is much better in every way then living in Boynton.

And the schools there are horrible, other than the elementary school Sunset Palms which is very good, the middle school and high school are sub par. Odyssey Middle is ranked a 5 and Olympic High a 7. I guess your standards are different than mine

Ratings and Reviews for Odyssey Middle School in Boynton Beach FL | Zillow

and thankfully you do have a charter school, and exactly what I stated, is here and I stand by it " if you are living in Canyon private or charter schools is probably the way to go"

and for the town center, it is no big deal and in fact if it was not there you would be in isolation. What else is there, boynton mall? As far as a park again no big deal and it is sorely needed. When I looked at Canyons to buy there was no town center and there was the first Cancyon being built. Again I had the foresight to see that Boca or Wellington is a much better choice and West Boynton will never be another Boca or Wellington.

I ma sorry for your bad luck in picking Canyon and wish you better luck in the future

Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 8,779 times
I have lived in the Canyons for going on 9 years. It is a great close-knit community, close to everything, not at all isolated. Very easy to get to Wellington, Delray, or Boca in 15 minutes any direction. Close to 441 and the Turnpike. Now that Lyons Road is fully open, we also have Delray Marketplace just down the street, with a movie theatre, bowling, restaurants, and great shops. Canyon Town Ctr. is not just a strip mall, it is more like a town center, with an ampitheatre. We have many community events there, two soccer fields, and a nice mix of restaurants and services. Hopefully the long promised 50 acre county park is coming soon as well. The biggest difference I think is the true sense of community. Whether you live in Canyon Lakes, Isles, Springs, or Trails, we have an inclusive community feel and a private Facebook group where we share information and service recommendations with each other, etc. Love living here!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 AM

7 posts, read 8,779 times
As far as schools, the elementary serving the Canyons communities is Sunset Palms (rated a 10). We got our own middle-high charter school (Somerset Academy Canyons), which children can attend for 6-12. It is not yet graded but test scores were good and better than the county and other good middle schools. The charter high school is growing year by year and the facility is brand new. We are also zoned for Olympic Heights High School in West Boca, on Lyons Road. Odyssey Middle is not recommended, though some parents say they love it. As with anything, take school grades with a grain of salt -- they're never as good or bad as their grade implies. It's personal experience and fit. I know people who pulled out of a 10 rated elementary in Wellington to go private. Every parent knows what's best for their child.

Some area private schools include American Heritage, Donna Klein, St. Andrews, and Pinecrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach