Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 AM

17,476 posts, read 22,228,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I rented in Boca Raton several decades ago, around Powerline/Palmetto Park Rd before buying a house in the town of Boca itself (east of Military Trail). I didn't check out gated communities--the gated rentals had been bad enough.

I have posted this before, but I would not buy property in unincorporated Palm Beach County (Boca remains a postal address, but these communities are not in Boca Raton). The zoning laws allow builders to overbuild. The traffic is a nightmare. Services aren't the same. It's actually nice looking in Boca Del Mar, where I was renting in various places. But the services aren't there and the zoning is non-existent.

I was looking at a house around Glades and 441 and found out there was a sewage treatment facility next door that the realtor never mentioned. I also learned that houses there depreciate rather often. They appreciate in Boca. My house is quite modest and not gussied up, and not gated. It is now worth three times what I pd for it in the 1990s. It took a beating in 2008 but it came back.

Just do your research. When I rented out in W Boca no one ever told me I was in unincorporated Palm Beach County.

ETA: Puglover, I am sure you are right about the communities you mention--my house search was not centered on these particular communities.

I think people considering a move to this area should consider the cons of traffic and spotty services in W Boca. I was there five years and the quality of life was lower in West Boca, just in my experience anyway. Honestly, I've never heard a realtor give full disclosure on a property down here.

This is a very accurate post! I lived in Boca for 17 years and ladyalice is correct on all counts!

One trip west on Glades Rd at 4-5-6pm would prevent me from ever considering anything west of the city limits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 13,967 times
Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I think I am now going to concentrate on moving or renting in central Boca. Everyone was very helpful and you made it very clear that Living within the city limits is very important. I am going to start looking around Saint Andrews. If anyone has any input on Central Boca please feel free.thanks

Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

536 posts, read 847,672 times
Tee bone, "Central Boca Raton" is not necessarily within the city limits of the town of Boca.

Renting agents often identify Boca Del Mar, which is not part of the city of Boca Raton, as "Central Boca Raton." for instance. This can very confusing! Took me five years living here for the dawn of the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Your realtors could mean "central part of the city of Boca Raton," but they might mean something just west of the city limits. If you are interested in a property, google for a map that shows the city's boundaries to confirm the property is in the city itself, if that is what you prefer.

Where I live, the city stops at Military Trail, beyond which is Boca Del Mar. The city doesn't go out as far west as 441.

I tried to cut and paste a map but couldn't do it from the site I was using.

Boca, west or east, is a nice place to live. Just weigh the differences so you know what you're choosing.

Western suburbs often look a little spiffier, and many who move here prefer that. I just hated the traffic. which is dense because growth was not wisely regulated in the incorporated area to the west. Taxes may be lower, though, and many people choose that.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 8,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS4 View Post
We are looking to purchase a 3500+ sq foot, 4+ bedroom home with a budget no more than $500,000. It seems like every time I find a home, it requires a $50,000-70,000 equity purchase on top of a monthly HOA. It puts us outside of our budget. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood in Boca that is without an equity purchase? I don't mind paying a reasonable HOA.

Thank you.

I'm in the same boat as you. I found a community called Newport Bay Club. It's guard gated and does not require any sort of equity. It has about 10 clay tennis courts and a small gym

It's right across the street from the Polo Club on jog rd in between Clint Moore and Linton Blvd. this home recently came on the market. It's huge at over 5000 sq ft and has a pretty decent sized lot.

6718 Newport Lake Cir, Boca Raton, FL 33496 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.comĀ®

They're asking just under 700k for it. I took a look and it's got great potential. If I had the money I'd really consider putting in an offer. It's a bit out of my price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach