U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM

850 posts, read 2,217,918 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive mover from the NYC area to FL? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:20 PM

499 posts, read 462,038 times
Just moved from CT to FL and had the WORST movers - and we searched for months before we picked one. Not sure if I can put a company name here, but here goes....do NOT use IDEAL Moving out of NYC.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,838,606 times
I have to agree with CTtoFL....we interviewed several companies before we picked a well known national company based on a recommendation. What did was to sub-contract our move out and we ended up with a one horse mover who attempted to add another $2,000 to the original estimate.

All I can say, is if you can move yourself do it!! Otherwise, just prepare yourself to get screwed!!!

Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM

499 posts, read 462,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I have to agree with CTtoFL....we interviewed several companies before we picked a well known national company based on a recommendation. What did was to sub-contract our move out and we ended up with a one horse mover who attempted to add another $2,000 to the original estimate.

All I can say, is if you can move yourself do it!! Otherwise, just prepare yourself to get screwed!!!
That is EXACTLY what happened to us! We were contracted for a set price on a full-size moving truck (53 feet I think). On the day of the move, a bunch of guys showed up in a small rented Ryder truck. After filling the truck up about 3/4 of the way, they told my husband that they had to get an extra $2800 in order to complete the job. My husband went *nuts* and argued with a manager over the phone for about an hour before finally agreeing to an extra $500. Apparantly, that is part of the scam. We got to talking to the movers and they told us that filling up the truck, then arguing for more money is the way it works. They said that one family paid an extra $15,000 to get their stuff (not sure if that's true, just hearsay but still...)

They could not fit all of our stuff onto the truck. There were two items that they flat out told us would not fit and we had to leave behind - a nice hand cart/moving dolly and an office/desk chair. Because the truck was so full, 3 of the moving guys couldn't ride in the back as planned. The truck left them behind and they called a taxi to pick them up from our house and take them to the train station (they lived in the Bronx - probably took them an additional 1.5 hrs to get home between the taxi & the train). I felt so bad for them because it was after 8pm and like 30 degrees outside, but we had a flight to catch. And this is just the pick-up, the delivery down in Florida is a whole other story. What a nightmare

BTW- this company had over 80 positive online reviews with an average score of 4.5/5 stars. No BBB complaints, etc.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 PM

Oh my god, those are awful stories. I probably will use someone that moved me locally before. They were great but they don't get good reviews. Go figure. Hope they are good on the long distance move. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,838,606 times
Just my thoughts....but if I had to do it all over again, I would give/donate/sell most of the furniture I had and then rent a truck and move myself. It's easy enough to pack your clothes, TV's, kitchen supplies, small items in a truck than you think and I would of saved at least $8,000. With that 8K I could of replace most of my furniture with new furniture. It would of taken a little longer, but there are enough sales down here that I could of easily purchased the same or better furniture than I came down with. But just my thoughts...

Something else to remember, the mover's do not take everything. So do yourself a favor and Google what they are not allowed to put on the truck. It might surprise you and something else to consider...jut because they guarantee "to be delivered on or before" that really does not mean poop!!!!! For they will not move the truck until they have several stops in the same general area of your move AND THE TRUCK IS FULL!!!!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,149,032 times
We moved within the state, and got 3 estimates from Bekins, Allied and Mayflower and were impressed by all 3. In the end, we went with Bekins and were very pleased.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
I just moved from Long Island to florida and used United. We had two quotes done but felt they were more of a national company. They delivered within the window they gave us. Had no issues at all. Cost was about $3k for a one bedroom apartment.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Rusty, the problem with moving myself is that I have my car to drive down, as well as some cats. Then I would have to fly back and drive the stuff down again. It's just too much. I'd rather get a mover. I know my stuff is not worth much though. Maybe I could put everything in storage and come back for it later. That is the other option but I'd still need a mover to move the stuff to storage, but it would not be that much.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:45 AM

9,647 posts, read 5,072,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Thanks everyone. Rusty, the problem with moving myself is that I have my car to drive down, as well as some cats. Then I would have to fly back and drive the stuff down again. It's just too much. I'd rather get a mover. I know my stuff is not worth much though. Maybe I could put everything in storage and come back for it later. That is the other option but I'd still need a mover to move the stuff to storage, but it would not be that much.
Have you looked into PODS? You pick the size you want and load it yourself (or they can supply help) then they pick it up and ship it to your new place and you unload it the same way. That would give you time to make the drive yourself. A friend did this from New Jersey to Long Island and even had the POD in storage for a month in between. It worked out well. There are a couple of other companies that do the same thing. I'm not sure how the price of a longer distance move would work out but it's probably worth a look online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach