U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone and thanks for reading,

My family is looking for a second home in SE Florida. We really are open to anywhere, but here is why I have settled on Boca/Delray:

1. I have three kids, 15, 13 and 8. The 15 year-old needs some bustle and she will be driving soon so she is going to want to get out and do things.
2. My husband needs to be near an international airport.
3. We want to be near the beach - driving 15 min is fine - with big waves for my youngest.
4. We would like to be in a gated community since we won't be around 24/7.
5. We only have a ~$400k budget
6. We MUST have a private pool (don't ask...)
7. The kids need other kids whenever they are in town, not just vacation weeks
8. I don't want to feel secluded - I'm not a big relaxer and too much quiet is disturbing to me. I'm from NYC, so go from there...

Any ideas are so welcomed. And it doesn't have to be Boca/Delray. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM

7,404 posts, read 3,467,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwhelm View Post
Hi Everyone and thanks for reading,

My family is looking for a second home in SE Florida. We really are open to anywhere, but here is why I have settled on Boca/Delray:

1. I have three kids, 15, 13 and 8. The 15 year-old needs some bustle and she will be driving soon so she is going to want to get out and do things.
2. My husband needs to be near an international airport.
3. We want to be near the beach - driving 15 min is fine - with big waves for my youngest.
8. I don't want to feel secluded - I'm not a big relaxer and too much quiet is disturbing to me. I'm from NYC, so go from there...

Any ideas are so welcomed. And it doesn't have to be Boca/Delray. Thank you!
Hi overwhelm!

We are friendly in Florida but you are going to OVER whelm any realtor with your demands!
I will try to address all of your concerns so let's take it by the numbers!

#1: Don't worry about your kids! They will have plenty to do here.
#2: The Miami metro has 3 International Airports all within 70 miles of each other so there isn't a problem there.
#3: Beaches are very close in SE Florida but what will kill you is the commute so you need to get out early.
#4: Gated Community puts you out in the far western suburbs.
#5: $400k still puts you in the suburbs.
#6: Private pool? Suburbs again.
#7: ?????
#8: I am also from the NYC metro area and trust me the last thing you have to worry about is being secluded! However if you should desire to be secluded for a bit you can drive west and be in a farm field or drive east and be on the beach by yourself even though you know there are several Million people nearby!

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:26 AM

292 posts, read 393,732 times

plenty to do in and around Boca Area

2. My husband needs to be near an international airport. There are only 2 true international airports if your husbands travels international Miami and Fort Lauderdale. There are very few if any international flights from palm beach

There is no issue with commute or traffic going to the beqach, zero at all not a concern. 15 minutes though is not going to happen with the other parts of your wish list ,ore like 20 to 25

not an issue

budget is a little low , in a gated boca community you may be able to achieve a slightly outdated 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 2400 square foot home with a pool. But it will be a challenge on that small budget

400K will be a challenge and get a move in condition home in gated community (see above)

no issues here

no issues here

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,278 times
Thank you for the replies! Thank you for being so generous with your advice.

My husband wants me to look at Clearwater, or striking distance from the Tampa/St. Pete airport. Even though I love the NY crowd, he does NOT and thinks Boca/Delray is too NY. So even though i think at the end of the decision process it's Boca/Delray for my teenagers, I want to get him full information.

We are willing to drive 20-25 minutes to the beach. We figure if we are driving 10 minutes, why not 20?

I know our budget is low, so we are prepared to go further west.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 PM

12,131 posts, read 14,087,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwhelm View Post
Thank you for the replies! Thank you for being so generous with your advice.

My husband wants me to look at Clearwater, or striking distance from the Tampa/St. Pete airport. Even though I love the NY crowd, he does NOT and thinks Boca/Delray is too NY. So even though i think at the end of the decision process it's Boca/Delray for my teenagers, I want to get him full information.

We are willing to drive 20-25 minutes to the beach. We figure if we are driving 10 minutes, why not 20?

I know our budget is low, so we are prepared to go further west.
Your husband is right.....

Also note, gated community doesn't = crime free. Meet a few guards and you will soon realize that they struggle to stay awake, not stop crime.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,877,635 times
Your budget will put you in Boynton/Lake Worth area. Which will put you in between PBI and FLL, and not far from the beach. There are 4-5 homes on the market that fit pretty much everything you are looking for so you won't have a ton of choices but you will be able to find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or